Fun with goalkeeper numbers

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Dario Sala is undefeated in his first 5 starts (3W 2T). How does that compare with every other Dallas keeper as the beginning of their Dallas stints. Check it out.

Lagerway - 5 (5W)
    Garlick - 4 (2W 2T)
    Dodd - 2 (2W)
    Countess - 2 (2T)
    Noetzel - 1 (1W)
    Cassar - 0
    Jordan - 0

Sala can set a club record this weekend. Pretty meaningless record, but a record nonetheless.

2. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the Jinx...

3. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    Speaking of Sala, I heard him on La Preciosa (97.1) yesterday. He was on for about an hour during the afternoon, talking about a variety of things. He's actually pretty funny once you figure out his Argentine accent. Some highlights:

*Loves PHP and the family friendly atmosphere. Said he wanted to say hello to all the FC Dallas fans, particularly the Inferno and La Raza Latina. He digs their enthusiasm.

*Did the obligatory "tickets still available" pitch all players must do.

*Grew up a Boca fan in Argentina. His mother was mad when he signed a deal with River Plate.

* He was in goal for a River-Boca classic in Argentina. They asked who won. Sala laughed and said "Riquelme was playing for Boca. Who do you think won?"

* Lived with Pescadito for two months last season. They ordered chinese food almost every night.

*Pointed out that FC Dallas has more Latinos than Chivas.

* He appreciates the privacy and anonymity he has here. In Argentina and Colombia, it was hard to go to a restaurant or the movies or use a public bathroom without someone approaching him to talk about soccer.

* He met his wife (an American) while she was vacationing in Argentina. He offered to teach her to tango in exchange for a kiss. They've been together ever since.

* He didn't start playing soccer until he was 20 years old. Seems unlikely, so I might have heard that wrong. Did anyone else hear it? Or do you know, Buzz?

4. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JuanIg....
    Thanks for the insight... this is great information. From my vantage point in 116 Cassar and Sala have both shown a great deal of charisma and endearing to the public... A tango lesson for a kiss hmmmm... something to think about.

5. jkcoolr

jkcoolr New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, TX
    At one of the games this year, the ESPN announcers said he(Sala) wears 48 to honor his father in law who played footbal at the University of Miami.... any idea who his father in law is?

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not 100% sold on him being a keeper yet - getting closer. Its hard not to ignore the record.

But he keeps sounding like an absolutely solid fellow.

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope, never heard that.

8. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The more and more I recap all of the goals given up this year, the more I find myself thinking that almost none of them were really Sala's fault. Our defense has shown signs of uncertainty and even panic at times when the ball is in the box. His quickness to come so far onto the pitch at times has left me with extra anxiety, however.

9. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
  10. hhaire

hhaire New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mckinney,Tx
    I do understand your point but you have to remember last year when most of the goals were our keepers fault and if he came off his line is was about to shit on himself.