Review: Full Squad Positional Depth

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Bilgediver, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Bilgediver, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Breaking off a discussion in a previous game PBP thread, might as well have a separate depth discussion here. Looking back I can't recall us having this much depth in every position that could start a game with not much loss in terms of our play style. Even our recent Cup winning squads I can't recall having this many players that you could easily argue as 1st choice starters, and at this point we could play around with formations and tactics just to suit our opponents or a playstyle. As before, Players can be placed in multiple positions, italics are a position that is not their preferred/best position (as per Vanney, e.g. I still rate Seba as a winger but I doubt Greg will put him out there unless its a tactical shift or out of necessity)

FW: Chicharito, Dejan,Cabral, Zubak
    Winger: Grandsir, Cabral, Vazquez, Lletget, Efra, Dunbar
    ACM: Vazquez, Lletget, Sacha, Efra
    DCM: Raveloson, Dos Santos, Lletget, Saldana
    CB: Coulilaby, Williams, Depuy, Steres, Raveloson
    RB: Araujo, Coulilaby, Fisher
    LB: Villafana, Niko, Acosta
    GK: Bond, Klinnsman

I adjusted from my previous depth chart, injuries notwithstanding I think this more or less matches what we see now. Cabral was easily a work in progress to start, and has grown into his role and confidence. Having another striker up top clearly helps him out, he is definitely a link up striker, not a lone striker, I put him over Zubak as our Third Striker. As for missing youngsters I'm not including any with hardly any minutes. The only ones I see regularly featured were Dunbar, Fisher, Saldana (Although Fisher less so, Julian has become our superstud ironman).

This Depth Chart includes any player who could start a match given injuries or other personal family issues. All others, like Harvey, Augustine, and Aguirre, etc.. haven't had significant enough minutes imho to warrant an appearnce on the possible starting 11.

2. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of possible 1st Choice 11's
    4-3-3
    Bond
    Araujo----Coulilaby----Williams----Niko
    Raveloson
    Lletget----Vazquez
    Grandsir ------------------------------ Cabral
    Chicharito/Dejan​
    3-4-3
    Bond
    Coulilaby----Depuy----Williams
    Araujo----Raveloson----Lletget----Niko
    Grandsir----Dejan----Cabral​

The Beautiful Gamer, TrickHog and 2in10 repped this.
  3. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice. Seems quite reasonable based on what we have seen. It will be interesting to see if/how this evolves over the rest of the season. I doubt Vanney is through finding out who can do what and where.

TrickHog repped this.
  4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You look at this squad and you can't help but be impressed by the number of players that are 25 and younger and already key parts of the team. It's exciting to imagine the same players staying for many seasons and being in a position to be more targeted in our acquisitions in future seasons.

Let's say we have a very successful season, heading into next year what do we do? The obvious thing is either moving on from JDS (or finding a way to retain without a DP) and opening up the DP spot. What kind of player would everyone add to this squad with DP resources? I'm guessing it would have to be a central midfielder given the amount invested at the forward/wing spots already.

You might add Raveloson as a center back option.

5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot he was asked to step in as a CB his first game in. Thanks (and I should switch Steres with Depuy? I think He rates Depuy above Steres maybe, or is this a LCB vs RCB thing)

2in10 repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I guess Jona will leave at the end of the season and we'll splash the cash on a DP CAM. This team only misses a Pozuelo.

Baysider, TrickHog, mbar and 2 others repped this.
  7. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Cristiano Ronaldo finally be able to make that Beckham/Zlatan move to LA yet? I mean Messi just did the unthinkable and left Barcelona after all right.

footballfantatic, TrickHog and 2in10 repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Vanney favors Steres overall but seed him as a rcb and DePuy as a lcb. So if Coulibaly is out Steres will come in, if Williams is out we probably will see DePuy.

Personally I would put Steres in first at both positions because DePuys lack of speed/quickness is a bit of a problem. But what I think is irrelevant.

2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  9. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or a Pavon.

Imagine how many goals/assists he’d have if he was playing in Cabrals spot. He’d easily have 15-20 combined goals/assists already.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  10. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pavon! Man that would be a fearsome team if Pavón is still playing well and has his court stuff cleared up.

TrickHog repped this.
  11. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In terms of backups, this is where I think there is work to be done. We need a true 6 to backup Raveloson and I don't think Saldana is that (yet).

However, Vanney seems to see Saldana as better than Harvey or Aguirre at that position, which means that they won't be solutions, although @LEM-LAG has watched them play much more.

JPAR and Bilgediver repped this.
  12. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I agree on Saldana. Very limited offensively (can't make a forward play), sometimes an erratic pass in front of our own box, but a hard-nosed DM who seems to foul more than make real recovers. I may be harsh on him, I've never been a fan but he has been way better than I expected, but I think in the end he'll show his limitations. Not good enough to be a backup in a top team, but too good to be third on the depth chart. He seems to have Vanney's confidence.

Aguirre is a box-to-box, he does everything but is way more an offensive threat.

As for Harvey, he's starting as a CB with Los Dos. But I don't know if he's with the reserve because of not being good enough for the first team, or because of the international tag, or just they want to try him at another spot. Either way, I could see him leaving at the end of the year (he did have options in Portugal a year ago).

TrickHog repped this.
  13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #13 73Bruin, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    I don't think that Vanney wants a true 6. He wants a regista; a distributor. That's what Bradley was great at. My sense is that Saldana is better at this then anyone not named Vazquez. IMO, we will probably see Raveloson and Saldana as a back 2 at some point.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #14 73Bruin, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    I agree with your assessment that Saldana fouls and grabs way to much on defense and is prone to the sloppy defensive pass. But in the games that he has played in this year, I have seem him do an excellent job with the ball at his feet and retaining possession under pressure and then making good long passed out to the wings. He has the best passing percentage on the team which is what you want from a regista. FWIW, I have also seem him make unmarked runs forward into the top of the 18, but seldom saw his teammates pass the ball back to him.

TrickHog repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should we amend the depth chart to have three central midfield categories? Attacking Mid and Defensive Mid is fine but I feel like there could be a section for just plain old central mid (the box to box types) where JDS, Lleget, Aguirre might be ranked. Probably over complicating things but I think teams with three central midfielders in their line up don't just have attacking and defensive midfielders.

16. Vapor32

Vapor32 Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Mexico
    Aug 21, 2021
    Saldana is just... So bad. I want everyone who puts our jersey to do well but holy hell that kid infuriates me when I see his number come up. Kid has never sent a through ball in his life and loses possession so easily. Can't win it either. If I wanted someone with no defensive ability who passes side to side I would just play Lletget