Fulhamerica: the Ream Continues [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Jan 24, 2012.

1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't even miss a beat after this. Guess that's why he's their captain

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess he had a boner today:

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If my math is right, a win today earns Fulham automatic promotion. Of course, they are almost assured of promotion eventually because of their large points lead, but it could happen today. They are also a combo of 10 points gained/Bournemouth points dropped over the final 6 matches to guarantee winning the Championship, but likely only 9 as Fulham’s goal differential is 32 better than Bournemouth’s.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU1984 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Promoted!

[​IMG]

Winoman, jnielsen, Quaker and 6 others repped this.
  8. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Mitrovic has an amazing 40 goals in 40 championship games this season for Fulham.

ChicagoVT, jnielsen, ChrisSSBB and 2 others repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But will he finally get it done in the Premier League?

dark knight repped this.
  10. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Probably not. 10-12 should probably be considered a success? Will be a really interesting case study

11. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Congrats, Tim; congrats Fulham.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can someone loan them Horvath for a few months?

Winoman, felloveranddidanadu and Gorky repped this.
  13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And I believe he’s played every game this season… but will he be the starter game one of next? I think many of us feel like this might be his ceiling, but how brutal would it be if he gets shutout a second time after promotion?

He’s looked pretty decent when I’ve seen him relatively recently - perhaps he’s also improved? Fingers crossed he gets a season in the PL and they stay up.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks, it has not come without effort.

15. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    #4216 YankatOxford, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    No, sadly. Fulham will need to upgrade at several positions if they are to have a chance at survival. CB is one of them. He *might* start a handful of the first few matches before the transfer window closes.

dark knight repped this.
  16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not that I disagree but it’s strange that a team running away with the league has to demote its captain immediately upon promotion. It’s a brutal business at times.

Winoman repped this.
  17. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Agreed. It is cutthroat. And it is one sign of the gulf between the Premier League and other leagues in Europe, even places like Spain or France. Can you imagine if your veteran team captain from the 2nd division would have literally no chance of getting sustained minutes the following season in any league on the continent, barring perhaps Germany? If Ream had played in a less physical/less athletic and more technical top league, I do think he would have had more longevity at the highest level in the back end of his career.

However, I do want to take a moment to celebrate the achievement of this season. Ream has skippered the Fulham ship back into the promise land, AGAIN.

At age 33/34 Tim Ream has started every single match over 42 matches and played the full 90 minutes in every match with the exception of the Hull City at home on August 21, when he came off after 21 minutes due to injury.

This while playing in the most intensely physical league in the world which is an absolute marathon. He could end the season with over 4,000 league minutes! (3,710 league minutes now; 360 to go). He is fifth in the league in total minutes played across all players and third among centerbacks.

Zinkoff, ChicagoVT, dark knight and 6 others repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I often wonder about whether our guys who thrive or fail in the Premier League might have had more/better success in say a Serie A or La Liga. Of course they'd have earned a lot less but still, might be more beneficial to spend a few seasons for a Cagliari or SPAL than say one season on a promoted side quickly relegated.

19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd head for STL or whatever pastures new. If he leaves this summer he goes out a champion and doesn't have to suffer the inevitable indignity of sitting on the bench for 38 games next year. The article LV posted makes a pretty compelling case to leave.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    #4221 dark knight, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    Oh - I didn’t realize his contract is up this summer. Yeah - will Fulham even sign him up again given his age and track record? It’s a shame - a little more pace and a little more nasty and he could have been one of the best ever Yanks. He still will have had a very nice career when he eventually hangs them up.

21. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Serie A would've been the place for him. I think La Liga would have suited the technical aspects of his game that he excels. I think he still could if he is willing to put himself outside of the comforts of English speaking countries.

22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So happy for Tim and what he's done this year.

BUT

It's a recipe for disaster in the Prem if FFC want to build their backline around him. They need an upgrade. I'm sad to say it, but I really think it's true. I don't expect them to renew his contract this summer.

23. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Largely agree, which is why I love that so many try their hands in Germany. I wonder if there is a hesistation due to language barrier (perceived or actual). I'm a firm believer in picking the best opportunity for the player, not necessarily the most money, largest club, best league. I won't fault a player for chasing money due to career longevity.

Couldn't edit so I'm just adding that comment was specific to Tim and your comment seems to be more general USMNT players and prospects.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChrisSSBB and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.