Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur, Sept. 1 [R]

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Californiaspurs, Aug 31, 2007.

1. ruiz00tx

ruiz00tx New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Sugar Land, TX
    Unbelievable......

That they came back from 3-1, that they scored when they scored, and how they scored.

Wow.

2. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Overly defensive tactics - no one up top, no control of the ball, no pressure through midfield.

Fulham scored on each of their (half) chances. We wasted plenty of our own.

Unbelieveable. Ridiculous.

3. Goalline92

Goalline92 New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Jol for Manager of the Year!

4. ruiz00tx

ruiz00tx New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Sugar Land, TX
    Spurs didn't have the killer instinct, they should have gone for their throats and put the game out of reach when they had the chance.

5. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    How do you decide to play 10 men behind the ball against effing Fulham? It's not as though they were at all dangerous and we were scraping a result from them. We were dominating the game and only a dead-ball goal and a deflection (and our own profligacy) were keeping them in the game.

I hate to say it, but I place this one at the feet of the coaching staff.

6. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    We don't need a coaching switch, Jol got us to the 5th place two seasons in a row!:rolleyes:

His tactics ****ed us over this game. Keane went off too early, he was still fired up and Defoe contributed nothing to the team. Bringing on Dawson was a risky move, changing it to a 3 man backline was even riskier. Jol threw away three points.

7. Goalline92

Goalline92 New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    They scored 3 goals. It has nothing to do with killer instinct and more to do with the inability to defend with three internationals in the back 4 and the England No 1. Obviously, not a lack of talent. Why do you think we have so many breakdowns?

8. bstorm83

bstorm83 New Member

May 27, 2007
    Chicopee
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    always love dropping three points to fulham away. This I do not think was Jol's fault at all. he wanted to get dawson a bit of playing time, understandable. But it was seriously nothing that you could do against dempsey's header and the 2nd goal was just bad luck. 3rd may have been preventable with better clearing but i don't see how its jol's fault

9. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So disappointed right now.

Only a complete thrashing of Youngstown State by the Buckeyes can salvage today for me. :D

10. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Well...we did get a point, but, still, dropping two points sucks, especially wit hour start to the season. Three points would have done wonders for us.

I agree that there's not a ton you can do about deflections and a bicycle to the top corner in the 90th, but the tactics in the last 10 minutes were questionable, at best. We're at our best when running at defenses, being dangerous up top. Our strength is not in sitting back and absorbing pressure, especially from teams who aren't strong enough to play with us straight up..

Full credit to Fulham. They took their only chances and got the three goals. The result flattered them, but they earned a point and took two from us.

11. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the worst ********ing football I've ever seen. I hope our midfield is ********ing ashamed of themselves, they just stood around once it was 3-1 like a bunch of goddamn statues. If I hear the word "unfortunate" I'm going to ********ing scream. We got everything we deserved. Pathetic effort, lazy ********ing effort. I've never seen anything like that in watching this game...sure, I've seen teams blow leads before, but never in such lazy and pathetic fashion. All it needed was an OUNCE of bleeding effort, and they laid down completely.

I'm absolutely sickened by that performance, and as a huge Martin Jol supporter, he completely cocked this one up. The whole team flushed 2 points down the drain because they couldn't BE ********ING BOTHERED...no bad luck with this...just a bunch of players who ought to turn in their paychecks this week for that awful ********ing effort.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    for as long as jol's been here, whenever we've established a lead it's as though he says to himself "a quality side must be able to kill the match!", and so we give it a try. doesn't matter how much we're bossing the match. doesn't matter how soft our back four are.

now, one may counter that playing two banks of four is protecting our defense, but inviting wave after wave of attack is madness. particularly when it's utterly unnecessary!!

we've spent how much money creating a side that can play football? play fucking football!!!

13. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    i only watched 10 min.. and im highly dissapointed..

where was the midfield support???

defoe was all alone in the front when he got that ball!! what the hell?!?!?

14. bstorm83

bstorm83 New Member

May 27, 2007
    Chicopee
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is like the most surreal morning of football. i don't even want to tlak about it anymore

15. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    FUUUCK!

I just had to say it again...

16. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference between killing a match and just standing around. To kill a match off, you have to chase, harass, put in challenges, and do something other than just kick the ball 50 yards when you get it.

I agree they should play football, but if they're going to kill a match off...I wish they'd actually give it a little effort. I can take lacking skill or bad luck...this was just awful effort, and that's inexcusable. Is it too late to sell Defoe? He was shockingly lazy out there for someone who 'wants to play". Jenas, Huddlestone, Chimbonda, Lee, and Steed just completely switched off, and Bale wasn't exactly flying around.

You kill a game by flooding the midfield in front of 4 defenders...not by having 6 people stand withing 15 meters of goal and desperately try to claw away uncontested cross after uncontested cross. I tried harder in my living room than that team did for the last 20 minutes. Pathetic. They should only get 7/9 of their pay because they did not put in 90 minutes of work this week. I'm ********ing disgusted.

17. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Spot on, tapper. The tactics were horrendous, especially since Fulham weren't exactly threatening our goal (except for the two half chances they put away)!

18. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen!

Fulham 3 - 3 Tottenham
    10' 0 - 1 Y Kaboul
    28' 0 - 2 D Berbatov

42' C Dempsey 1 - 2
    61' 1 - 3 G Bale
    77' A Smertin 2 - 3
    90' D Kamara 3 - 3

19. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    You've got to be kidding me. I had to leave around the 65th minute ... I cannot believe we didn't win this. Did it get THAT bad after I left? Ugh, I'm not relishing watching the taped version of the final 30 minutes. We were so dominant in the first hour.

-Digital

20. Goalline92

Goalline92 New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Would Sir Alex allow his team to do this? Would he allow his side to give up 2 goals to a shite side like Fulham. How many points have we thrown away this year due mostly to the lack of effort? Anyone willing to teach English in Sevilla?
    Klinsman speak good English, by the way.

21. KHowe

KHowe Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Western MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That was an utter travesty. We looked like a top four side should for that first hour. I can't blame anyone on Dempsey's header, it was a great goal and Petr Cech wouldn't have saved that. We attacked again and agaain, everyone was contributing and we could have scored 4-5 if it weren't for bad luck and decision (Kaboul not passing to JJ sooner, Jenas choosing not to shoot...twice). Steed's deflection off the post went from a laughable and unfortunate miss to blowing 3 points. Not his fault, but we were millimeters from 3 points.

What exactly did BMJ say in the locker room between halves?

"You all look like shit out there. I want you to stay in your own half, give them as many chances as you can, and make sure not to clear the ball more than 20 feet out of the box"

If that's what he said, well the executed brilliantly. Completely dreadful, I'm thoroughly embarrased for our side. Robbie Keane has every right to be ticked, he created many opportunities and played hard. Defoe looked absent from the match and I'm losing confidence in him more and more. I really don't know how to sum up how I feel right now.

22. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I can sum it up as I feel as upset as Robbie Keane looked when he was taken off.

23. amathews3416

amathews3416 New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Robbie Keane should be pissed. This game changed when Jol put in Defoe. Went downhill from there.

At least Bale was a bright spot again. I really don't think Berbatov is going to stick around after this year. Anybody see how pissed he gets at his teammates out on the pitch? He knows the midfield is complete crap and I don't blame him if he wants to surround himself w/ a better supporting cast.

24. BrownBear

BrownBear Member

May 22, 2007
    Washington, DC
    That. Was. Brutal. The Dempsey goal may have been forgivable because they slacked off after the two early goals, but after Bale's goal, to ease up again. Aaagh.

Needless to say, we are delusional if we think they're a top 4 side. Not with performances like that.

25. Mr Tips

Mr Tips Member

May 10, 2006
    Philadelphia; 138
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Precisely why Levy isn't going to give Jol much more time. It's still early, but if this continues, you risk the whole season. A failure to improve on last season will immediately impact the club's ability to bring in new talent. Another season of poor service and ill conceived tactics will be enough to send Berba off to greener pastures. Player of that calibre is not going to pass up regular CL football and a chance to win the league just to help this young team grow for much longer. Anything less than a good result and positive display against Le Arse and Jol won't survive to see October.

I'm actually glad to see Berba getting visually upset and yelling at his teammates. It's generally warranted, for starters, at it shows that he's genuinely interested/motivated. One of the top talents at the club, so he's got every right.

So much frustration after today, but somewhat comforting to see how Bale and Berba played.