Fulham v. Manchester United 12/13 [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by JohnnyCash, Dec 6, 2004.

1. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Re: Ft 1-1

This is the kind of problem that is good. With players coming back healthy, and a lot of matches in the next two weeks, we need as many fresh, healthy players playing. I think Rosenior did well last night. He was attacking hard down that right side all night. He did get caught on the United goal though. I like Volzy and I think he will get his spot back, but it is great to know that somone like Rosenior can step in if need be. I also think rosenior could play on the right side of the midfield.

2. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I thought he played pretty well. I would not say he was spectacular, but he did fairly well against Ronaldo and Giggs. I remember him trying to make a back pass and miskicking it for a United corner. I do not remember him getting beat badly or anything like that. All in all, I thought he had a good match.

3. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Damn, I missed it. I wonder though if Fulham were not playing Manchester United if that would have made it? Also, did the Sportscenter guys have a field day with Papa's name??

4. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    Are you serious??? That is great!!! Can anyone find the list on espn.com??

5. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA

He was Boy Wonder's daddy all night. C Ronaldo beat him a few times, but other than that, he played a terrific game considering the class of players he was going up against.

Rep points for whoever can find the video of the Papa goal

6. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I looked all over espn.com and found nothing. It was filled with advertisements about the Dale Earnhardt movie, "3" and other such nonsensical crap.

7. TurboRook

TurboRook Member

May 7, 2003
    South Pasadena, CA
    Finally got a chance to watch my recording of the match. MOTM was definitely Diop even before his goal. His aerial presence and strong tackling dominated ManU's central midfielders and took much of the pressure off Pearce and Rehman. Pearce was his usual steady self, and thankfully didn't have to deal with any break aways (his main weakness). Rehman has impressed me a lot in his short time with the team. He's looking like a solid, professional center back now. The two of them really highlight Knight's lack of composure and command when he's in the team. Boca did great defending on Rooney, and didn't let Ronaldo get by him often, but had a hard time keeping Ronaldo from getting his crosses off (who doesn't?). He still has a tendency to scramble a little too much on defense, but rarely makes mistakes (2nd half back pass out for a corner was the only exception in this game). Rosenior did very well for a debut, and defended solidly, but wasn't the offensive force that Volz is. Still, a solid debut.

As for the midfielders, they were definitely our weak spot. It seemed like we played most of the match a man down in midfield. Leggy and Pembridge disappeared during much of the match, leaving Keane and Scholes free to concentrate on defending Steed, who they bottled up pretty well. If it wasn't for Diop's high energy ball winning, the match would have turned into a turkey shoot.

Cole and McBride played their @sses off, even though ManU's defense did well to frustrate them. Most strikers have a tendency to give up in the face of a strong physical defense like ManU's, but they worked hard the entire 90+ and never let their heads drop.

Lastly, Diop's goal was truly a thing of beauty. If you have not seen it yet, you owe it to yourself to see it. The camera angle from directly behind was absolutely amazing, showing it start off to the left of the post and then bend back in as it was knuckling the whole time. Truly a worldclass strike. If Diop can give this kind of effort every match and improve his passing skills, he could be one of the best defensive midfielders ever, and I don't say that lightly.

At this point, the main changes I would like to see would be to reintegrate Boa Morte and Claus into the side. I'd really love to see them in the left and right sides of the midfield diamond, respectively. Those two, plus Boca and Volz getting forward for a little added width could be just the recipe to get us moving into the top half of the table. COYW!

8. 1fulhamfan

1fulhamfan New Member

Feb 10, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I've seen some soccer clips on thier top ten before. The commentator just said Fulham against Man@$#%, Papa Bouba Diop (pronounced correctly). They played the BBC commentary during the highlight. Then they showed the camara angle from behind Papa, and the ESPN guy was giving him major props for the knuckling action, and how the ball moved from left to right. It was pretty sweet. I could hardly believe Fulham was on mainstream US media!
    What a goal!

9. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Diop's goal was absolutely amazing and think he has been good, but I think he has a lot of work to do in the midfield to get to the status you mention. His first touch is never that good, he loses a lot of balls to smaller, quicker players and he is not at all fast. His ability to shoot from distance is uncanny and matched by few, but it is the little things he needs to work on. While he does win balls, he cannot do anything with them. When I see him with the ball in midfield, he looks uncomfortable with it. My friend, who is not a Fulham fan, was watching with me yesterday and he said the same thing. Diop is a good midfielder and I am glad he is on our team. I do like him, but I think he has a lot of work to become the player he potentially can be.

10. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    I've decided to stop being stingy and just fork over the 20 pounds to buy fulham TV. And i've spent the last 10 minutes watching the goal over and over again.

11. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    hahahah, do you know how many times I've found myself doing that!!

12. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA

Its a quiet afternoon in the office. I've made it through the first two months of the season so far.

Its funny cause i know the games they win and lose, but i still find myself getting upset at the result.

I just got done watching the WBA fight finally.

13. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Hey, if anyone did not get to see the match yesterday, I have a tape of it. If you want to borrow it, let me know.

14. TurboRook

TurboRook Member

May 7, 2003
    South Pasadena, CA
    Ball control and passing? Who needs 'em :D Seriously though, you are right. If he can clean up those two aspects of his game though, look out! Of course then he'll be off to a bigger team :(

15. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I hope he can continue to improve. He has some good potential.

16. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I've recently returned to Florida from the FFC/ManU match and I've posted a report and some pics on this thread.

Note: It is from a Yanks Abroad perspective.

17. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    FC how was the trip? I saw your picture on the FulhamUSA.com site. Nice shot of you and the Craven Cottage sign in the background. Very cool. I hope you had a good time. Have you become a Fulham fan yet?

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    1. I had a great time even though it was cold enough to freeze the piles (the English will understand this) off Sir Alex's backside. I am fortunate in that a) I was in the more roudy Hammersmith End and b) Carlos Bocanegra and Brian McBride started and c) it was a fantastic match.

2. Not having grown up in anywhere near a professional soccer club I will probably never feel the loyalty to a single club that many of you do. However, I do like Fulham! I like Coleman (even though he stuck with the lone striker for far too long), I love Craven Cottage, and the FFC fans are really good people. I wasn't so sure who I would leave the match supporting more (ManU or FFC) but there was no hiding my enthusiasm when Diop's shot found the back of the net.

19. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Nice, I am glad you had a good time and I am pleased you are on board as a Fulham fan!

20. American Mike

American Mike New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Was NY, Now London
    Thats good enough for me Tallavana...although I would argue with you regarding the more roudy hammy end...I was in the stevenage rd for the match vs. Liverpool and it was like a non-stop party. But that is a legacy at Fulham...hammy end vs. Stevenage rd. It will never end.

Not being a Fulham fan to begin with...I am just happy you feel some type of 'love' for the whites!!