FU Stan - potential Arsenal takeover

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Apr 26, 2021.

1. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    #51 wanye_stirrear, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Again, I mostly speaking to what we know, which basically is nothing including what his plans are with Arsenal. He seems to be a long term investor, so maybe even the team sucking for a few years isn't a big deal to him. It may just be seen as a blip in a long-term plan. There is no record from his behavior with any of his other assets or any signs from the club that he would want to sell. All we see is that, despite what you say about how bad an investment Arsenal is and how bad the financials are, there seems to be more than one person who is willing to buy. So, maybe they see value that you are not taking into account.

Also, I took a quick look at last year’s financial report (despite me saying that I was done with doing that), and Arsenal did not lose money on operations. Even during the pandemic, they were profitable. They only lost money on player registrations (payments for buying players), which they can manage.

Anyway, you could be 100% right, and Stan may sell. All I am saying is that he has given no indication of that, and we don’t know how he views Arsenal as an investment. It’s mostly wishful thinking. If you look at Arsenal as a short-term investment (5-10 years), then your view makes some sense. If you are looking at it as a 20-30 year investment, then your view of selling being the best option seems less clear.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He basically has a monopolistic business. He has friends in the Nigerian government and used them to boot out competition.

He made his money in cement

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he walks into our team no questions asked

bandwagongooner repped this.
  4. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about Ek and his personal views, but Spotify gives Joe Rogan a platform to spout absolute bullshit and dangerous nonsense so that's a huge strike against him right there.

5. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Moreover, the original sin of Spotify is that the reason they’re successful is they don’t pay musicians a fair amount for streams. So he’s gotten rich by skimming (mostly struggling) off of musicians and has consequently imploded the ability for non-famous musical acts to make any money off of their work.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  6. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Meh. When did struggling musicians ever make money from physical media sales or digital downloads? Emerging artists benefit from the mass exposure which helps them where they really make their money - live shows (or at least they did pre-COVID). I think it's funny that the recording industry once got in trouble for paying money to radio stations to play their preferred artists, only to complain about not making enough in rights fees years later.

Streaming fees go from Spotify to the record labels, if the cash doesn't flow to the artists, it's not Spotify's fault.

Joe Rogan, on the other hand, really sucks.

Silva 5 repped this.
  7. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I mean you’re wrong, musicians in the Spotify era make demonstrably less money than they ever have in the postwar era:

https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2018/07/new-study-average-musicians-make-less-than-ever.html

And yes, if cash isn’t flowing to artists, Spotify is inherently partly to blame for that because of the way the payment systems between Spotify and rights-holders works. The amount of money that gets given to rights-holders (mostly record labels but ultimately also the artists themselves) is almost entirely dependent on Spotify’s principal revenue stream, which is subscriptions, and has little to do with how many songs are actually played on the service. In other words, getting your songs played more on Spotify doesn’t entitle you to an absolute larger amount of money, just a relatively larger slice of the money that’s distributed to rights-holders by Spotify in any case. This all should make intuitive sense, as Spotify doesn’t charge per song or album but per month of service, meaning old models of media rights are no longer relevant to an artist. Now, an artist’s revenue stream is no longer dependent on how much people listen to their music—it’s dependent on Spotify’s and other’s black box algorithms that measure how relatively much people listened to your music compared to your peer’s music, within the added abstraction of how successfully Spotify was able to sell its own service to customers.

If you’re trying to say that record labels are also bad—yeah, clearly. But it can’t be ignored that the terms of revenue generation for artists in the streaming era are significant worse than they were even during the iTunes era, let alone in a CD or tape or vinyl world.

Edit: as an anecdotal aside I know personally a fair few notable musical acts that, in another era, would be financially independent for the rest of their lives at this juncture in their careers. Since they’re active now, they all work second jobs and are looking for ways out of performing music. All of them.

Tonerl and DaPrince84 repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seem to be a fair number of warning signs in this Ek proposal. One of which is how is the funding secured. I think those were the words he used today.

I don’t think most Arsenal fans would be too happy if it’s through a leveraged acquisition like the Glazers did, secured by the assets of the club.

So shouldn’t Ek be transparent about the nature of the funding?

Super Llama repped this.
  9. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Feels like its all a show to me anyway. He isn't buying the club, Kroenke knows theres money to come when Covid is sorted and crowds are back.

Why would you go through 2020, 2021 and likely 2022 and lose money when you know from 2023 onwards you will make your money back comfortably.

Super Llama repped this.
  10. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Spotify pays licensing fees to right-holders that were negotiated and agreed upon by both sides. Should they voluntarily pay more? They set prices to maximize revenue, do you want them to increase prices and lose customers, shrinking the revenue pool and providing less money to artists? No one is forcing anyone to license their music to Spotify.

If I was Spotify, I'd be concerned that the record labels would just follow the Disney+ model and create their own streaming platforms, cut out the middle man.

"Artists think Spotify should pay them more" is a pretty obvious statement. Every employee thinks they should get paid more. Everyone thinks their wireless bill should cost less. Every Arsenal fan thinks the club should win more. In what world would artists be like, no, Spotify, you keep some of this revenue to yourself. You're being far too generous.

11. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, both sides: Spotify and the record labels. Artists were not included in those negotiations and in that context record labels are not artist's representation.

[​IMG]

If these were parody takes you can skip the next couple paras. But if not: If you're a non-famous musician who wants to be professional, you don't have the option to not stream on, by far, the biggest streaming platform. You don't even have the option to not stream on much less popular platforms than Spotify! As much as you'd like to ignore it, yes, musicians are coerced into using a system that broadly disempowers them and takes money out of their pocket, because the alternatives are not feasible.

If you're a non-famous musician and are being given the option of signing a record contract (pretty much the only means to being a professional artist in the context of making your own music and performing it), you do not have the option to negotiate better streaming rights for yourself, period. If you attempt it, you will be blackballed from the industry (there are three conglomerates that control about 80% of the music industry). Artists do not have the ability to negotiate these choices without the alternatives being a life of poverty or to give up being a musician. So really what you're saying is: "Nobody's forcing you to license your music to Spotify; you could live in poverty instead!" Cool set of choices that you're offering, I wonder if that feels like no coercive forces are at play there.

As for "should they voluntarily pay more?" According to the logic of the system within which Spotify profits, of course not! The system (music industry, or capitalism at large) is just as bad as Spotify and vice versa. That doesn't make them (or Daniel Ek) beyond reproach. It's also notable that you have wholesale absorbed the argumentative logic of that system and use it as your own. Like "do you want them to increase prices and lose customers, shrinking the revenue pool and providing less money to artists?" is a false choice that only a Spotify PR rep could dream of. No, I reject the logic of their streaming model, it's bad and should be changed! Artists should get paid according to the value of their work, and with music streaming that seems to be quite easily correlated to how much their work gets streamed.

All the record labels have equity in Spotify. The system is a closed cartel.

Yeah, they're cliché because they're true...if we're going to maintain and perpetuate the current economic system, then I think it's fair to say that people should be accurately compensated for their value within that system. Besides that, I'm not really sure of your point, are you saying these things aren't true? My point from the beginning has been that Daniel Ek is not any different from any other billionaire--he had to exploit people to make a lot of money to be able to afford a football club. We shouldn't think of him as a better option than anyone else--just because he's Scandinavian and in tech doesn't make him less shady than Dangote, from the very scary country of Nigeria. Your take on that is...that Ek is actually good, is that it? So far your argument seems to be basically: Spotify isn't bad because they're just as bad as everyone else involved...which is less far removed from my argument than it seems you think it is. However, in contrast, I don't think being as bad as everyone else is exculpatory.

Quentin and thebigman repped this.
  12. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To me, at this juncture, the Ek thing seems like a bizarre attempt, Musk-style, at reputation expansion and laundering.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    All of this.

And it is also difficult to see how anyone could put together an offer that would motivate him to sell.

Say you put together a private equity move, in cahoots with a corporate or private buyer.

Where is the upside in the acquisition? Football revenue appears to be topped out, unless the super league happens. So what other play is there?

Take Arsenal public? But how does that work when we are shit?

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Another private owner is the worst possible outcome.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I know you are all Giant Gooner fans - he had some good takes IMO

DaPrince84 repped this.
  16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is probably correct, albeit hard to graft public company M&A principles onto individuals.

But I don’t see how Kroenke sells absent a significant cash crunch and someone paying on the order of 4 billion.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean why does anyone ever sell?
    1. Believe they can get better returns elsewhere
    2. Need the liquidity
    3. Receive an offer that motivates them
    4. Reputational issues
    5. Hostile buy out
    6. Prospects for the asset look poor (see 1)
    7. Adjustment of risk profile (diversify)
    Of all these, only 2 and 3 seem very likely.

... and 3 really requires that someone has a clever idea of how to monetise the content. But given Arse don't own their own content rights, I don't really see it.

What I have wondered about is whether he might sell part of the asset.

In NZ Rugby we've started to see more complex structures where NZRFU purchased part of Sky TV under the new deal, and a Private Equity House is trying to buy 12% of NZ Rugby

18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I said in another thread that I assume most billionaires are not good people. I think Spotify is neutral, if they didn't exist, another company would fill the same role, for better or for worse.

You're problem seems to be more with capitalism and the recording industry. That's fine. I don't think of the likes of Google or Amazon as evil, they are companies that people like because they provide good services. They could/should do some things better, like not caving to foreign government censorship or they could treat their warehouse employees better. Facebook, on the other hand, is pure evil and should be regulated out of existance.

More broadly though, there are always going to be poor musicians. A lot of kids dream up growing up and being a rock star, far more than grow up dreaming of being a janitor or a warehouse stocker. Moreover, it can be a very lucrative job for the very elite in a way most jobs aren't. Copyright can be a pretty sweet gravy train that most of us don't have access to - no one is paying me for work I did 10 years ago. So you are always going to have starving artists chasing the dream of making it big. If every musician made a good living, we'd have a LOT more musicians and a lot fewer fry cooks. If you want to replace the free market with UBI and have every other suburban dad forming a band, that's fine, but that's a different conversation than whether or not Daniel Ek (who I hadn't heard of prior to the last couple weeks) is an evil mastermind.

19. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    This could make sense too. He could sell less than a controlling stake on the club to raise money, which would lower his risk while still allowing him to keep the club and to invest for the long-term. It would solves a lot of his perceived problems.

This assumes that he needs cash though, which I don’t believe to be true....it’s hard to know.

The problem with private firms is that, when it comes to corporate decision making, the public can’t do much more than guess.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There are some significant differences with Spotify which controls I believe 80% of the music business compared to say movies and TV where there are multiple different platforms and competitors.

What's really changed since downloading arrived is the business has been gutted in a winning takes all style typical of digital

So in the past, it was much easier to be a professional musician than it is now.

DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Personally I think this kind of vertical integration makes most sense now that clubs are so expensive.

I am not sure exactly how it would work - but possibly more like a consumer brand like Red Bull (Leipzig), or a content platform but you keep coming back to the issues of the content already being licensed out.

This is where City makes sense because it is a global entertainment platform for Abu Dhabi's other brands

Agreed - we can assume Arsenal is reasonably leveraged but with historically low interest rates, why sell?

On the other hand, with finance so cheap, a private equity type move makes sense, but how do they hope to make money from Arsenal?

22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Pandora, iTunes, Amazon, Bandcamp, Youtube, Vevo are competition. What is the barrier to entry that prevents competition?

It was also easier to be a journalist or a bank teller or a typewriter manufacturer. It's a lot easier to be a ap designer or a IT developer.

Napster was the real kick in the pants, I don't see how Spotify is worse than piracy. But digital is also an opportunity. In the past, an artist HAD to sign with a record label. The internet gives everyone a cheap distribution platform if they choose to use it. It's hard because arguably that means there is more competition and less revenue for the average artist. But we don't live in a monoculture of the 80's or 90's anymore, everything is much more niche and the earnings aren't going to be the same. I don't see how digital makes things more of a winner take all than it was when you had to be on a major label and be on MTV to be a star.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Basically in other forms of digital content, there has not been the kind of market dominance Spotify has achieved. Itunes was big, but that was in the pre-streaming era.

Well yeah - digital economics destroy the old business models - no argument.

The big difference is that gigantic CD sales propped up a sprawling business with a much wider range of artists.

With the margins gutted out of the business, the audience increasingly listens to a smaller number of global talents.

That is quite different to the 90s when more small indie bands could make a living

Super Llama repped this.
  24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    None of this is spotify's fault, though. It's not as if Spotify acts like a monopolist, does it (I don't have a subscription and don't pay much attention to this space, so serious question)?

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  25. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    But the record labels in the 90's were the gatekeepers, artists had to sign with a label to get physical disks mass printed and distributed to vendors with limited shelf space. And the artists didn't get much of the $17 you spend on a album.

The internet destroyed that barrier and now anyone can upload their tracks to the entire world and create fans that will buy concert tickets or merch. So yes, in the 90's, a lot of middle class bands were able to sell their CD's at Best Buy and get on MTV, but if a record exec said you don't "look like a rock star", you didn't have a career. Now it is more democratic, but more supply results in lower demand and less revenue per capita.