FSW article on the final 10 minutes.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
  2. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Very well written article. Vieira's reaction was as human as anyone's. What would you do if you felt you were in danger of being injured by someone else? Of course van Nistelrooy looking as though he had been shot when Patrick kicked at him was Oscar worthy. I haven't posted on this whole situation because I honestly haven't seen how it all unfolded. I can say even though I am an Arsenal fan I was pretty upset with the reaction of the Gunners at the end of the match. Then again how would Man Utd have reacted had the shoe been on the other foot?

3. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Good article that captures the essence of the events that took place. If only the FA would sanction itself for picking Bennett for this match when it had plenty of other referees.

4. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    That is a pleasant surprise from Mr. Webster-my hat's off... AND I believe I said this here or at another website, but I thought from the second replay after seeing the way vanNistlerooy clattered into Vieira that he was(albeit in a foolish manner)illustrating he thought VanNistlerooy had kicked him-it even looks as if he was saying something to the effect of "Why'd you kick me?". The only error is it was persistent infringement he was booked for-but again there was NO foul-if Bennett had gotten that right, there is no persistent infringement or dissent at all and no first yellow and later no second yellow, more than likely no stoppage-time penalty and no post-match chaos. But nothing will be said to Mr. Bennett or done about it...

5. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    The whole Bennett thing he brings up is spot on. I was watching the match in a bar with a mix of Gunner and ManUre fans and about half way through alot of us were sick of his antics. Well before the final 10 minutes.

I actually yelled at the screen "Your not the game ref!". And alot of folks - ManUre and Gunner fans agreed with me.

He has this really annoying habit of lecturing the players like childeren and making them come over and take the card right in their face etc etc.