FSU Politics/Current Events V

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, Mar 7, 2011.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    By saying Turkey was "fighting" ISIS, you grouped it into same category as Russia, US, etc...who are consistently doing this. Yes, Turkey did occasionally bomb few targets, but I wouldn't say they are fighting ISIS.

2. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The same could be said about Russia - less than 5% of their strikes had been directed against ISIS. So, Russia, by the same standard you applied to Turkey, is not really fighting ISIS.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'd say Russia is in the Same boat as turkey on this one.

4. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

There are two groups of countries (or groups) fighting ISIS:
    1. US, France, UK, Kurdish Peshmerga, Iraqi government - fighting ISIS because they want to defeat ISIS and the extremism they represent
    2. Turkey, Russia, Hezballah - fighting ISIS occasionally, as a part of their larger strategy in the region, protecting their clients or allies. Russia and Hezballah protect Assad, Turkey protects Turkomans.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Fair enough.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I believe the current situation is best summed up like this:

[​IMG]

Real Corona repped this.
  7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Ironically enough, I just started another audio lectures on WWI by Dan Carlin. If you all have a chance, download his lectures. He's not a historian from an academic perspective, but he's an unbelievable lecturer. His Wrath of Khans lectures are amazing. I've been hooked on audio lectures by the teaching company for a few years now (history, music, literature and 130 GBs of just about anything you want), but Dan Carlin's hardcore history is so freaking good. When you listen on the phone, HOW someone presents the material is almost as important as the material itself.

8. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Dan Carlin's 'Hardcore History' is excellent. I finished the WWI podcast in two weeks - quite an accomplishment considering there's roughly 25 hours of material. An anti-History Channel rendition of WWI. Lots of primary source material and a heavy focus on the social history of the event. All other main-stream retellings of the conflict just valorize the military commanders and diplomats. Carlin himself puts that WWI Germany army into his top 5 military outfits of all time. A bit odd considering they lost, but they pretty much fought the Allies by themselves. They delivered knockout blows to the Serbs, Russians, and Italians while pushing the French and English to the brink.

Unfortunately, his WWII Eastern Front podcast, 'Ghosts of the Ostfront,' is disappointing. Just not the same manic dedication to details, and he glosses over many events. If you like Dan Carlin I think you will enjoy Mike Duncan's 'Revolutions' podcast. Duncan is not quite the story weaver as Carlin, but the depth and quality is on par with Carlin and I would say Duncan's approach is a bit more 'academic' (or maybe its because of his monotone, melancholy delivery).

nicephoras and yasik19 repped this.
  9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Great post. I have Ostfront lectures next (or I might do either Punic wars or anabaptists). I've read quite a few books on WWII and listened to WW2 lectures through the teaching company (the great courses), specifically but Thomas Childers and J Rufus Fears (who I love). Those lectures are a lot more academic and statistical in nature. Fears is great, but Carlin is just so good and makes you want to listen and listen. You should give Wrath of Khans a go. Carlin pretty much states that the Mongols were the baddest bad asses in the history of the world and only pure luck saved Europe and the rest of the world.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I second Duncan's Revolutions podcast, which is great (though I didn't really enjoy his Rome series nearly as much).

I also think there are a number of great WWI books that have been published recently due to the centennial that I think do a better job than the podcasts, particularly The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark and Towards the Flame by Lieven. There's also Margaret MacMillan's the War that Ended peace, though I like that one less personally.

yasik19 repped this.
  11. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I listened to ‘Wrath of the Khans.’ One issues I have with ancient history, or poorly documented history, is that the events are observed through a veil of ignorance. Many details left unexplained, other events heavily speculated. Nevertheless, excellent series (and credit goes to the historians that Carlin sites - they’re the ones attempting to remove the veil).

I enjoyed the anabaptist episode. I believe it is only one episode. I come from a fervent form of Protestantism. If you’ve ever socialized with Sac Slavs I think you’ll understand (to note I am agnostic now). Anyway, an excellent analysis of religious fatalism and its broader consequences. Further proof that secularization can’t come soon enough.

I think I’m going to move on to Audible or that other thing you suggested.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I thought most of Sac's former USSRans are pentecostals?

13. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yes, Pentecostals are a branch of Protestantism. It's a relative new movement (early 1900's), so it is far down the evolutionary tree of Protestantism. I just use the Protestant as an umbrella term for Baptists, Charismatics, Pentecostals, etc.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :confused:

All of history is that way. If you can tell me what Sir Edward Grey was really thinking in the month leading up to WWI, you'll be the darling of the WWI historical community.

Beyond that, you'd be surprised how much we know - the more turbulent and interesting period of the Roman Republic, for example, has a stunning amount of historical sources given that it occurred over 2000 years ago. There's arguably more scholarship on that period of history than on any other ever, despite the "veil of ignorance", as you call it.

15. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    What you say is true. But the depth and scope of well documented events makes for far more interesting history than the ambiguities of poorly registered civilizations. The great civilizations of the Americas give us very little compared to their contemporaries half a world away. Early Mongolian conquest, and much of what we know of Ghengis Khan, was written after the fact and politically motivated to paint Khan in good light.

16. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    My favorite area (as of this very second) of historical research is the sub-roman Britain. There is a lot of literature written about it but it all encompasses a very small amount of the available data and the rest is speculation. The sub-roman Britain truly is an example of Dark Ages.

half of what's written on the topic is a "prediction of the as yet undiscovered past".

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You would be surprised how much this is true for all history.

18. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Golden Horde lasted much longer than the usually offered 15th century date. It had survived into early 18th century. With Moskva as its capital.

19. HandsLikeSonnyListon

Jun 8, 2019
    This guy, this guy knows. ^

20. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    What's up nicephoras, you still around?

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yo. You gotta tag people :)

22. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Haha no idea how that works but glad to see you still got the message.

Miss our NBA talks, more entertaining than ESPN talking heads :D
    You think Raptors going to close Warriors out tonight? Sounds like Durant might be playing..

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Was taking to my friend in Toronto about this. I think they get the job done.

24. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Wow what a beautiful game until Lowry hit the side of the backboard, Splash Bros did just enough, now they'll be playing with extra mojo after Durant tore his achilles for them. Guessing that Toronto will get it done in Game 7, strange seemed like they went away from Siakam late...

25. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Green blocked Lowry's shot. I still think Raptors win, just not enough fire power and Dubs are simply exhausted.