FSU Players Abroad [R]

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Dimuha, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pavluchenko @ Spurs tread

Daniel Levy (I believe his name) has a reputation around England for being some what weird, awkward and difficult to understand. I think the reason Tottenham are so messed up is because of him.

2. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sure, he's got better foot speed and better springs, I'll give you that. But a target forward, which Pavluchenko pretends not to be but truly is (he's not in any way skilled enough to beat any decent defender off of the dribble) needs to have a tough physical presence in the EPL and needs to work for every goal. I'll be very interested to see if Pavluchenko can make the transition - personally, knowing his game, I think he's going to be a very disappointing and expensive acquisition for Spurs.

Pogrebnyak knows his role and plays it well - he's a big, burly target forward who has the job of mucking it up in the the middle and fighting for every 50/50, as well as making the most out of effective service. PP doesn't try to be something he's not, he plays within his game and does it well - the comparisons to PP and Brian McBride are too numerous to mention, they play the exact same game. McBride made a nice little mini-career for himself in the EPL, doing the same things and playing the same game that PP does, albeit late in his career - and if you don't think that a physical target forward that plays within his role is not a decent player to have, please poll any Fulham, Everton or Crystal Palace fan that you happen to run across.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. You said PP would never see another league outside of Russia - I dearly hope you are right. Because if you don't think that there are at least 10 teams in 1.BL that wouldn't love to add him to their roster, you are living in a different reality than I am. He went toe to toe with the best defenders that Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich put on the pitch, and he took them all to school. Pavluchenko has not achieved anything similar nor proved himself on that level yet; I'll go the opposite route that you did and suggest that if PP would have been in there and had the opportunity in 1T that Pavluchenko fluffed, the best scoring opportunity that either team had in the E2K8 semis - PP would have finished that one, and the game would have taken on an entirely different complexion.

3. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

I can see the Brian McBride comparision and its not just cause of the dirty blonde mop top :D Though Pogrebnyak isn't very good in the air for how tall and physical he is, and that's where Brian made his living.

4. Ivan_Palach1

Ivan_Palach1 New Member

Aug 26, 2008

My friend i have a filing you confuse target forward with forward who can score decent header. Its two different things. Its not about skills, Pogrebnyak just can't jump high enough. But he compensate one aspect McBride and certainly Pavluchenko lacks - he actually can outmuscle ANY defender... Lusio, Berezutsky bros, Zheder etc. He can physically abuse any big physical CB. He is like slower, bigger slightly less skilled russian Kyut. The thing is - neither Pogrebnyak or Pavluchenko can create chances for them selfs but Pogrebnyak works enough to warrant his service while Pavluchenko aside from euro anomaly just keeps putting his sitters did nothing else on the filed. He is counterproductive player i give him 15% chance of making career in EPL.

5. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, that he did. Again, he knew his role and skills, and played within said role. Pogrebnyak might not yet exhibit the aerial skills that McBride did/does, but he's still so young, and I think he does a little bit better in the air than you give him credit for. McBride was decent with the ball at his feet, but he earned his lunch money grinding it out with the best centerbacks in the world, playing with (let's be honest, Fulham) inferior players. I've watched McBride since the days that he played at the U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (with Tony "Big Cat" Sanneh as his teammate back then, as in Japorea 2002, and Sanneh's long right flank run, immaculate cross & McBride selling the dummy move to the 2 Portuguese defenders - one of my favorite goals of all time

[youtube]21CuiSWJ4iY[/youtube]

I'm gonna lay in the weeds and wait until Dimon tells me what a POS McBride was..., no, forget that crap, I'm gonna steal a march on ol' Dimon, I think. I looked up the stats for McHead and a couple of well-known and accomplished Ukrainian stars...I really wanted to add a Russian player to my rather basic statistical analysis, but, damn it anyway, none to be found in the best league in the world, the EPL. So anyway, in the most basic of terms, here it is:

McBride Everton, Fulham

149 EPL appearances; 37 goals, 0.25 goals per appearance.

Shevchenko Chelsea

47 EPL appearances; 9 goals, 0.19 goals per appearance.

Rebrov Tottenham

60 EPL appearances; 10 goals, 0.17 goals per appearance.

Ukies, don't get your undies in a bundle, I'll be going on as to why this simple analysis does and does not work.

Why it doesn't work:

1. Shevchenko and (especially) Rebrov were not only horribly misused by their respective teams/coaches - they were also expected to be the cure -all that would make things right, by both Mourinho and Hoddle. Unrealistic expectations - the best players in the world cannot overcome that.

2. Neither Chelsea nor Spurs were set up to make use of either Shevchenko's or Rebrov's skill sets, at the times that both were acquired. Neither player fit well into their tactical game plans at the time. Spurs at least tried; Chelski just wished to make a media splash, and in the process stole 2 good years out of one of the best soccer players we will ever see in our collective lifetimes.

3. Both Shevchenko and Rebrov had an extremely short leash - Rebrov was one & done, Shevchenko was basically ignored for his 2nd season. I can understand maybe why Rebrov didn't work out at Spurs, but how Shevchenko was treated at Chelski after demonstrating complete dominance in one of the top three domestic leagues in the world - that one is beyond me, I'll be honest

Why it does work:

1. McHead came in with low expectations and a defined role. He adapted to the English game perfectly, which explains his higher start to appearances ratio as his EPL career went on. Sheva and Rebrov adapted, well, poorly, most of which was not their fault.

2. McHead never tried to do anything that was beyond his talents; Shevchenko and Rebrov were both tasked with the impossible job of turning around a major club's fortunes; they both were asked to play a game that was not theirs. in retrospect, they both would have been better served to go to La Liga, whereas McBride's game was tailor made for the EPL.

3. McBride having to work with service from Fulham midfielders vs. Shevchenko getting service from the best midfielders that money can buy = no comparison there. In the one year that Rebrov had at Spurs, he didn't exactly have a shabby bunch in the MF, either. Shevchenko couldn't connect with the finest and most expensive midfield that has ever been been assembled in both EPL and European history.

Both Shevchenko and McBride came into the EPL at a point that both were either at the end of their prime or beginning the downside; the same cannot be said of Rebrov, he came in to Spurs at the prime of his career.

Statistics aside, do I believe:

a. Shevchenko is one of the top 5 players of the last 20 years? Yes
    b. Does McBride's better performance, on average, as far as goals per game & factoring in that he played with vastly inferior teams make him as good as Shevchenko? Obviously not, not even close, see above. Shevchenko played his prime with one of the best teams in the world; McBride played his best years with the Columbus Crew - anyone can do the math there.
    c. Do the Ukies on this board overrate Rebrov? Yes. Even factoring in Hoddle's mind f@@k, Rebrov had a short but sweet run; his body of work is inferior to both, and Rebrov came into the EPL in the prime of his playing days/age.
    d. That Pavluchenko will do well in the EPL? Honestly, no, but that remains to be seen. I agree with Nicephoras that he looks like the second coming of Rebrov, tossed into a dysfunctional team that had him as their 7th or 8th choice as the guy to play with Bent - but, I wish him the best and hope he proves me wrong.

6. Sheva7

Sheva7 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Re: Pavluchenko @ Spurs thread

One problem with your calculations Zenit, Rebrov had 10 league goals in 60 league appearances. He spent 2 season with Tottenham.

7. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

That makes his scoring rate 0.17, not 0.03

8. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whoops, you're right, I was relying on soccernet, which is usually reliable. 60 league appearances, 10 league goals, 0.17 goals per appearance. I will correct the aforementioned post. Thanks for pointing out the error - we didn't get a lot of EPL on FSC back then.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

I agree with your overall point, but will pretend you didn't write any of that nonsense about Sheva being used as incorrectly as Rebrov was. Just going to ignore it.

Spurs are a basket case, no doubt of that.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Why would I be biased? On what basis? :confused: And I don't think Arshavin has proven he's one of the best playmakers in the world. Certainly not yet. He played two good games at the Euros and suddenly he's the next Zidane? Until he does it in a top flight league, sorry, I'm not just going to take that as an article of faith because he's been very good for Zenit (which he has, no argument there). As for Modric being a very intelligent player - maybe he'd do really well on the SATs. But what I've seen of him thus far hasn't suggested to me he's an uncommon talent. If Spurs finish above 7th place I'll be surprised. They need a great striker right now - Pavlyuchenko is not it.
    Also, where is Arshavin going to play seeing as how Spurs already have Bentley, Modric and Lennon? With Jenas and Zokora, makes you wonder.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you for not opening up that can or worms again.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Spurs will gain the ball and attack with 7 midfielders. Lose the ball 3/4s down the pitch the other team will counter, either score or repeat the 7 attacking midfielders losing the ball again.

13. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Pavlyuchenko can quickly turn and shoot, doesn't even need to be squared up the right way, he can torque his body and still get good power and placement on the ball.

Other than being selfish which ne needs to work on, I just don't see how you can down play his performance in Euro's, he was HUGE!! He missed hell knows how many simple chances vs. Greece but as a whole he was a big key to Russia's success.

14. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

McHead, lol

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Usually players who're signed after having big international tournaments perform badly. Remember such stars as El Hadj Diouf? Or the success Poborsky had at Utd? (I've always liked Karel because he played well for Lazio.) Or how Baros had an awesome Euro2004?

16. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

You've got a point there

17. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

C'mon, less skilled than Kuyt? Pogrebnyak is definatley more skillful than that idiot.

18. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

Arshavin is one of the last true #10's in world football. There aren't that many of them around. Name me five players in a similiar role who are better than Shava, please.

19. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

No he doesn't. Baros is crap just like Diouf. Notice how both of them play with their heads down and have no brain at all. They didn't succeed because they're crap players.

20. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't often agree with Dimon, but here he has a point. I'd be hard pressed to name 5 #10s that are better at that role than Shava is. Just because he hasn't moved to a bigger league does not invalidate the top shelf skills he has clearly shown against top flight competition. Just ask the Oranje supporters, the Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, Villarreal fans, etc.

21. Sheva7

Sheva7 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

I can't see this working out. This guy is already a frustrating player to watch in the RPL, and Tottenham fans will want to strangle him after his first five point blank misses in the EPL.

22. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. The mob at WHL will eat this guy alive if he doesn't correct his strike rate, in very short order.

23. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

EPL defenders in general aren' the birghtest bunch, Pavlyuchenko's clever, maybe this can work out.

24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

lol, brightest? EPL is one of the most difficult leagues to score in. You're way off.

25. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

Torres himself said that defenders in England are far less fundementally sound than their La Liga counterparts, and that he finds it much easier to score in the EPL than he did in Spain.