FSU 2024

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I have been on these boards for many years.
    Most fans on these boards are really good fans and very respectful. If all fans could be as good as Soccerhunter and CPThomas.
    I digress.
    In Mark's early years when we experienced success, I began to see complaints of "He recruits too many internationals," like that was immoral or unethical.
    We won a natty and there was more of that!
    There was this blue blood mentality of "you are not a member and don't deserve to be here."
    Fast forward to today and the complaint is "Brian is skating over the edge of the rules and FSU are using NIL like the other football does."
    As to his skating over the edge of the rules, report it to the NCAA.
    As to recruiting aggressively, poaching recruits and using the NIL, welcome to reality!

FSU are clearly the best program in America and there is no thought here that maybe THAT point is a huge part of our new found success!

RSLer, Crazyhorse and VictoryCB repped this.
  2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when FSU first started a team, getting beat ten to nothing on the regular. Amazing to witness how far this program has come in 29 years.

VictoryCB and Tom81 repped this.
  3. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    3 and 1/2 months until we can get past all the malarkey and see some college soccer.

VictoryCB, NotSoHotTake and cpthomas repped this.
  4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    fyi - Gianni Riley did appear in the portal today.
    So did an FSU player named Taitano.

Winning is important, no question. Division 1 sports, in the P4, it is a results business.
    But how you win is also very important. How you behave and how you treat people along the way is sometimes how you are remembered. It is certainly how the players that play for you will remember you... just a thought.

5. lhs25

lhs25 New Member

Barca
    United States
    Apr 19, 2024
    Not so surprising about Tatiano. Will be interesting to see where she ends up. I'm sure we'll hear soon.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Best program in America based on what though? If your yardstick is results only, then sure. A fan's perspective is one thing. A players is very different. I believe there is a "best" program for every player, and I hope every player finds it for them.

7. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol ok. Yes, fsu is the best program based off results. Nobody is suggesting it’s the best spot for everyone.

8. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting about Taitano. I had her penciled in to take over at 6. Hope BP has someone else identified there

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    007 beats that drum annually.
    Most fans and even players understand that the best program means, 'the program winning the most nattys.' Some might say, 'the program that puts the most players in the pros.' Those are usually fairly synonymous!
    IT IS like all sports a RESULTS based sport. That's why they play the tournament!
    FSU are the best program currently.
    Stanford are 2nd and probably UCLA is 3rd.

10. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    how does this make sense with Nesbeth gone?

FSU's midfield situation gives more questions than answers.

11. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    A couple of things:

1. Every year one or two players around the nation enter the portal and then return to their former teams. The vast majority of players who enter the portal leave but there is a (small) chance that Maggie could return to FSU.

2. I can't remember the last time a player FSU really wanted to keep (like a starter) transferred to another college team. Even though she is a talented player, Maggie wasn't a starter last year. I don't know this for sure but based on history it seems likely that she was told that she probably wouldn't be a starter this year so she decided to transfer for more playing time. This is almost certainly the reason that Maria Alagoa transferred to USC. There are a ton of schools that would be interested in Maggie because she really is talented. We'll see where she ends up but of course I wish her nothing but the best.

VictoryCB and sweepsit repped this.
  12. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SM team keeps releasing videos including her talking about how being at FSU has helped prep her (and her teammates) for the U20s. Not sure they would have if she was leaving for another program?

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Let's look at what we have coming back that are ALMOST guaranteed to start!
    Ran Iwai and VanZanten and Gilchrist in the back.. We need one more. GKer we have 2 so one or the other will start.
    I'm assuming as many have suggested that Jody Brown is gone. Up top Dudley and Huff are locks.
    So we have That is 5 field players and 1 GKer between Kirlin and Todd
    We need 5 more. On the defense best guess is 2 of the following.
    Camille Ashe, Nina Norshie, Marissa Broeckmann, Sophie Nguyen,
    We need 3 more up top/MF to replace Brown, Echegini, and Olsson.
    We have Nguyen, Nourse, Hudson, Simmonds, Suarez, Puerta and Riley.
    Have I missed anyone.
    I didn't include Rain due to probable 2nd year of injury. I didn't include Lebdaoui, b/c I haven't see BP play her.

These are just guesses, but after the spring is BP told Taitano that player A had the inside track on LeiLani's position, she opted to go somewhere she could start. That would be most places.
    JMHO.

14. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    I understand, it's just surprising to me with the player who prevented her from starting is playing in the NWSL now and now she is leaving but maybe someone switched positions or another transfer will arrive. You need specific qualities as a DM and I don't see that with many players there but BP is always good for a surprise.

15. lhs25

lhs25 New Member

Barca
    United States
    Apr 19, 2024
    what about Bugg? she's a YNT regular...recently called into U20 camp. solid center back.

16. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    She will compete in the fall.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found out Buggs mom is from Tally. Safe to say she comes from extremely athletic DNA.

18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Results are one metric. There are many other metrics one could use to evaluate a program. I understand that results are the most visible, but a different set of metrics yielding a different outcome for others does not make them jealous. It seemed implied that anyone looking at other factors was somehow jealous. I'm sorry if that wasn't the case.

19. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bugg comes from an athletic family as her dad, Patrick, played football at Eastern Kentucky while her mom, Tam - a Tallahassee native - played basketball at Eastern Kentucky. Bugg is also the cousin of Terrion Arnold who played corner at Alabama.

Crazyhorse and Noledavey repped this.
  20. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, I competed against her uncle many moons ago.

VictoryCB repped this.
  21. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clara Robbins retires from NWSL. Unfortunate to see following the injury. She came back with a phenomenal season after her ACL(s?) at FSU.

Crazyhorse, BG78 and VictoryCB repped this.
  22. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is unfortunate, she was a warrior.

23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    She had 2 ACLs I believe while at FSU.
    Did she get injured in the pros, or just decided to hang it up?

We all speculated about Gianna Riley transferring to FSU. It was reported she's in the portal, but I haven't heard if she's landed anywhere. Have you?

24. fsugeo

fsugeo New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    I heard today it's done and she's coming to FSU.

25. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Class of 26 addition.

RSLer, Bigred. and sweepsit repped this.