FSU 2024

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023

here. In a few days there is a 2nd game vs Colombia.

2. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    Still trying to get all the details but FSU did lose to KC down at IMG.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  3. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Without Heather, Taylor S and Dudley, of course they lost.

As to the Colombia game. Suarez has good ball skills and is a deft passer, but I didn't see an attacking mentality.
    Dudley would have schooled some of those defenders trying to hold her 1v1.
    Taylor had one opp. to go 1v1 with the GKer, had a really heavy touch.
    HG played well, but got away with a hand ball in the box.
    Colombia are either divers or the worst conditioned team in the world.
    Suarez will learn a lot from our players and be a key cog this season IMO. That said, I don't see JD level of offensive striking at this time.

4. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021
    I'm going with divers.

I haven't watched the 2nd half yet, but the front line wasn't getting any help with the through balls in the first half. The US did some nice things in tight spaces, but the touch on the through balls - almost every one of many (10?) - was too heavy.

5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excited for the upcoming season and thrilled for Coach P!

Bigred. and VictoryCB repped this.
  6. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    I think Dudley developed a lot during her first college season although I still wonder what the deal is with her and the YNT because those performances don't stack up to her FSU games and now she didn't play at all. Either way though, I think Suarez and Dudley will be very fun to watch and Washington is also damn good from what I have seen.

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Me too!
    The JD we witnessed is waay better than any forward we saw against Colombia. Part of that may be getting familiar with team mates and moves. Regardless, JD is more aggressive 1v1, a better passer and a more aggressive defender than what I saw on the replay.
    Let's see what the next game shows. I'll be interested to watch the next game and see how she looks. Hopefully she's not injured! No jinx.

8. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Savy King did not play in that first friendly either. They have two games and some players who played in game one will sit in game two. I would not read into Dudley not playing in the first game.

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I get that.
    I'm just anxious to see if we see the late season dominant JD!

10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Looking forward to next year, the most important personnel decision IMO is who takes over for Nesbeth? and how well do they do it?

11. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    I agree. My point though was FSU JD was also way better than YNT JD which imo is due to the international game being different and no team chemistry on that squad.

fsugeo and Tom81 repped this.
  12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    If you find the video for the second game, can you please share it? I cannot find it for the life of me.

13. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    I'm hearing that Ran Iwai is strongly leaning toward returning to FSU for one more year.

It's not set in stone (she could still get an offer she can't refuse) but it seems likely at this point that she is returning.

This would obviously be huge for FSU for a number of reasons:

1. Iwai is a good player in her own right.
    2. Iwai plays a position of need on the backline especially with Gilchrist likely missing about 1/3 of the season.
    3. FSU will be a young team next year and her experience as a fifth year senior would be absolutely critical. Remember, FSU is set to have only three seniors returning next year that have experience playing for FSU (that could be only two depending on Brown's decision).

VictoryCB, sweepsit, Bigred. and 2 others repped this.
  14. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    great news

blissett repped this.
  15. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    I don't think there is one or it hasn't been televised at all. I only know Gilchrist started again and Dudley was subbed in in the 2nd half.

ytrs repped this.
  16. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    FWIW: Ran and (maybe) Jody would be the last players remaining on the roster that played for Mark Krikorian.

sweepsit and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As a Nadeshiko Japan's fan, I'd be interested to know when it will be confirmed: is there a deadline for her to commit to FSU for this fifth season?

18. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    She can confirm if/when she wants but she doesn't have to. The only real requirement/deadline is that she has to be taking classes at FSU in the fall semester to play next season.

Therefore, whether or not she explicitly confirms if she enrolls for classes in the fall that would be de facto confirmation.

VictoryCB and blissett repped this.
  19. UNCleNutsy

UNCleNutsy Member

UNC Women
    United States
    Oct 22, 2022
    IDK if this is the right thread, but I thought Nighswonger played really well last night against Colombia. Of course, her one-touch goal was the highlight, but she was active all game. I really like her at left wingback.

The back line looks so much better with Nighswonger, Davidson, Girma, and Fox.

College is still producing (or at least helping) high level talent…for now.

Crazyhorse, 2233soccer, sweepsit and 6 others repped this.
  20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Could not agree more. Nice addition and will compete to be in the US 11 at that position in the near term.

Don't know if you heard the entire commentary but they said that if Kreiger had not been injured, Nighswonger might not have been tried as a wing back and might not be where she is. Good example of being open-minded and just doing your best when called upon. Obviously, quite a few wide backs were not always wide backs! And maybe won't always be wide backs!
    Dunn, O'Hara, what about Fox? I think it's interesting that Emily Sonnett is apparently no longer a back with the WNT. Will be interesting to see how their club teams use these players this season.

I'm sure there are forums for this discussion but let's hope we can get Canada Wed and in to the Final. Hopefully, better crowds! If this thing was closer to me, I'd be at a few of these Gold Cup games.

21. UNCleNutsy

UNCleNutsy Member

UNC Women
    United States
    Oct 22, 2022
    I did hear that. I have to think that Krikorian might have whispered to try Jenna back there.

And…yes, you are right. I’m gonna jump over to this thread re: W Gold Cup.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2024-concacaf-w-gold-cup.2128709/

Crazyhorse repped this.
  22. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Casey Short Krueger hasn't been with the full national team for the past decade still grinds my gears. Happy she is with them now.

23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    She is frequently with the NT when healthy, just not for the Olympics and WC.
    I too have been disappointed in the same.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  24. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The timing of her pregnancy did not help her prospects with the World Cup roster (because she missed some camps), but she still should have made it. She absolutely would have made mine. She is three times the player that Kelley O'Hara is. It was a crime that she was on the roster.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  25. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nailed it, Casey is a better defender than most of the previous starters on the full team. She is a world class athlete.

ytrs repped this.