2024 CONCACAF W Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Dec 12, 2023.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had the draw for the W Gold Cup, so now we have a schedule for the group stage: https://www.concacaf.com/w-gold-cup/news/draw-delivers-groups-for-2024-concacaf-w-gold-cup/

The US is in Group A with Mexico, Argentina, and the winner of Guyana vs Dominican Republic. The USWNT's schedule for the group stage (Group A's group stage games will be in Carson, CA):

Feb. 20: USWNT vs W of P3 (Guyana/Dominican Republic)
    Feb. 23: USWNT vs Argentina
    Feb. 26: USWNT vs Mexico

2024-concacaf-w-gold-cup-match-schedule-draw.jpeg

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF released the preliminary rosters for the Gold Cup, and the USWNT list (of 51 players) includes Mallory Swanson:

NCChiFan, Allende72 and blissett repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the note of Mal Swanson, Sam Mewis is now hosting The Women's Game podcast with Men in Blazers, and she interviewed Mal Swanson a few days ago:

I don't remember hearing until this interview that Mal had a life-threatening infection in her knee after her first surgery to repair the patellar tendon and had to have a second surgery a week later.

Anyway, as it relates to this thread, Mal said she's back in training and feels good, but hasn't heard yet if she'll be back for the Gold Cup or if she'll stay and do preseason with Chicago.

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I hate to see Mal rushed back. I mean, if she's ready, ok. But, I hope they are being very cautious.

Savannah McCaskill on the prelim. Glad to see that. when she was in college, I thought she had a lot of skill. I don't watch much NWSL (I had more free time when Savannah was in college), so I don't know how she's progressed. But, good for her for getting this far.

I'm surprised Macario is being pencilled in as a starter by so many. I'm a fan, but to me, she still has something to prove.

ytrs repped this.
  5. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Down to 23…

Attached Files:

Smallchief repped this.
  6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Once again strong on defense, short on offense….and apparently no amour anymore for Demalo, Sanchez & Sullivan at mid

fortunately the opposition gotten weaker, or at least FIFA rankings wise; Brazil no more in the top ten(ranked #11), Canada holding on by an thread(#10). Colombia at #23, Mexico at an dismal #35

most likely US will win, just don’t let it go to any PK shootouts, lol

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like a blood-letting to me. No Sanchez, Demelo, or Sullivan. No Morgan, O'Hara, Sauerbrunn (have they retired?), no Huerta, A. Thompson (why was she on the WC team?), K. Mewis, Kingsbury (no surprises there)

What happened to Ashley Sanchez? She looked like a star from age 10 on and just faded away during 2023. I'm surprised that DeMelo and Sullivan aren't on the roster. And the mystery of Macario continues.

We go from a team that was too old to one that may be too young and inexperienced. Still, solid at every likely staring position, but the bench is full of newbies. I wouldn't go with such a young team if the competition were better in the Gold Cup, but we should do okay.

8. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Swanson, DeMelo, and Gisele Thompson are the 3 non-rostered players who will train with the team. Yeah, we’re definitely looking at options now…

9. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Love this site for the info it provides. Well done people!

10. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I like the 23 women roster except why 8 defenders& 6 mids? I would drop Crysral Dunn n take Demelo..

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe defenders is where the most open questions are.

fire123 repped this.
  12. hardballBD

hardballBD Member

Union
    United States
    Feb 21, 2022
    I recognize Dunn is listed as a defender, but wonder if they will give her a run in the midfield...

13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I don't think this roster is a sign of much other than they are trying to get a look at some players in competitive situations. I am not advocating for players like Morgan, but they do not need to see those veteran players right now. They need to know if Fishel (who has no business being on this roster based on her poor club play), Albert, etc are ready for an event as soon as the Olympics. This looks to me more like a prove it camp for several of them, or we move on without you until post-Olympics.

I am a little surprised by the Demelo omission since she is one of those young players. I am less surprised about Sanchez, even if I prefer her over Demelo. Sanchez's weakness is her defending, and I think that affects her at the USWNT level.

Allende72 and NCChiFan repped this.
  14. djbit

djbit Member

Jul 23, 2007
    This squad is way too young for my taste but I'm curious to see how they do at the same time.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    And, I'd add Huerta at FB.

General reactions, I hate to see Sully go. But, that late arriving 6 has to be able to put a shot on frame. You can count on Sullivan to sky it. And, she's kind of ok, at all the 6 stuff. Time to try other 6's that are at least ok and can put a shot on frame.

I'd like to see Crystal given a chance in the midfield. Imo, Rose's spot of up for grabs. Crystal could compete with Rose, Olivia, Korbin, for that spot. And, she could spell Linday "American fans are dumb, ffs at least don't listen to Julie Foudy" Horan.

Love Mal, but glad she's not rushed into this roster.

Ya, this roster is weak on scoring forwards. Lynn is the pressing Queen. Midge is the crossing Queen. Mia is an unknown. T is a crossing Queen who we hope will become a scorer. Sophia is inconsistent. Jaedyn is the Hope.

Surprised no Kristy Mewis.

Byu77 and hotjam2 repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #16 hotjam2, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    with all those “Cossing Queens”, we’re sure missing an striker with an great ‘header’ game as the final target(for crosses). Arguably Morgan, Hatch & Balcar would have been best suited for central striker(but didn’t get picked)
    Probably don’t matter though since Central & South American aren’t known for their exceptional defending against high balls.

Watching extended highlights Chelsea last match(though only against 2nd Div Sunderland, Fishel gifted with the opportunity to be lone striker(thanks to Kerr’s ACL) couldn’t for the life of her get an goal or even get an shot off. But playing against an obvious bunkering opponent, her positioning suggested more like an basketball center playing at the top of the key instead of low posting, thus opening more space for the wingers & attacking mids to penetrate & go 1v1 vs opposing defenses.
    But this feels very Vlatko-ish with his false #9 narrative that basically flopped at last year’s WC. So with the way they keep pushing Fishel up the ladder, wonder if we’re ever going see much of a change to our game plan?—-i mean we used to be so much better when we used to use play faster transitional, direct soccer, but then the rest of the world has caught up to that

RalleeMonkey and Allende72 repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Pretty much agree. I'd say that my post was limited by my lack of soccer vocab. From what I've seen, Midge and Trinity are playing the balls in on the ground, rather than in the air. I called that "crossing" b/c the only other description I can think of is "centering pass." And, that sounds like back when the sports guys knew nothing about soccer and they borrowed that from hockey. So, if anyone has another way to describe a centering pass, other than "centering pass," I'm all ears.

Allende72 repped this.
  18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Can anyone tell me what happened to Jamaica - why they are not in the GC?

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I'm not saying Hayes is going to play this way, but historically, the USA has been a get-in-behind team. Vertical runs from a striker exploiting space behind the last defender and wingers/wide players breaking the last line with the ball, turning defenders and cutting the ball back. As coaching has improved all over the world, teams have responded by dropping deeper, compressing space and forcing the USA to create in a less "direct" way. Some of the tactical solutions the USA deployed resulted in more players pushing higher in the attack, making them susceptible to counters and making the amount of ground the #6 had to cover, immense.

Sounds simple, but the challenge is to find players that can execute in tighter spaces, move the ball accurately and quickly to move defenders and then exploit the spaces.

Allende72 repped this.
  20. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    They didn't qualify. Their world cup players didn't play in qualifying due to disputes with their federation.

21. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    ...that have spent their entire youth/college careers playing in a system that encourages the direct/get in behind/count on naive defending style.

Not worried about the GC. Olympics should be interesting...

Number007 repped this.
  22. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    #22 Number007, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    I watched some of the U-17s vs Haiti today. I saw nothing that would lead me to believe we are trying anything different. If winning CONCACAF is the goal, then we don't have to. Playing these teams in the manner we choose to is only helping them get better. The passing, decision-making, ball striking and general comfort on the ball are spotty at best. The ability to run all day, depth and toughness are there. I paid particular attention to Barcenas and call me a hater, but I'm tired of this approach. Type in her name and you get this

What is Melanie Barcenas known for?

[​IMG]

At the youthful age of 15, Melanie Barcenas is already leaving a mark on women's soccer. From becoming the National Women's Soccer League's youngest-ever contracted player to landing a game-changing deal with Nike, Barcenas' rise reads like a Hollywood script.

She may be good for her age, but other than marketing value, what is the rush? Leaving her mark on women's soccer? Are we serious? Our system is back to front. It overly rewards early. From a contract PoV, and I know its early, but the big NWSL contracts seem to go to USWNT players or Internationals who have gone elsewhere with varying degrees of success and returned. The bar for a US player who would walk on to say the Mexico, Jamaica or Venezuela teams is ridiculously high if you have not been preordained by the USSF by the time you hit the League.

Namdynamo, Allende72 and 2233soccer repped this.
  23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    oh, that's a bummer. Thank you.

24. Byu77

Byu77 Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Nov 21, 2021
    Barcenas has definitely developed a cult following, which could be interpreted as slightly creepy given her age and how she’s continually hyped via Nwsl/club/us soccer on social media.

Obviously she is unique in her ball skills which maybe is the only thing driving this… but no doubt us soccer picks these 13, 14, 15 year olds and do everything they can to make them marketable stars.. will be interesting how some of them turn out.

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Ball skills?