FSU 2024

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 8, 2023.

1. socalkdg

socalkdg New Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Feb 15, 2023
    Watching those games for free was pretty amazing. There was a lot of talent on the field for both teams.

2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Yeah. It why I dislike the way we feel the need to create "stars" from nothing. The game is the best indicator. let the players play each other often enough and the game will tell you who is good. I get the need for competitive games, but the way the NWSL spreads talent, there is always a matchup that can be exploited. It's a balance. 4 loaded teams vs a league where an 8-7-7 team with a gd of +1 end up the champion!

The ACC had no issue with 4/5 loaded teams and guess what. The league sure won a lot of titles. Is that not an endorsement of some degree of unbalance?

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just my personal opinion since there are no data, but over the course of a full season, I do not think any college team would be successful in the NWSL.

Crazyhorse and sweepsit repped this.
  4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I agree. Last year's FSU was a great one. IMO, over the course of a full season, they would be lucky to win 3 IMO.

sweepsit repped this.
  5. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    Perhaps. However, I think that if you look at FSU's roster it is filled with pros. Therefore, I think that 2023 FSU would be more successful than you guys apparently do.

The NWSL plays 22 regular season games. I do think that 2023 FSU would win more than 3 but of course we will never know.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Fair enough! It's all just conjecture. I didn't realize they played 22 regular season games, or I would have guessed higher!

7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    FSU rosters have been filled with pros and internationals for years. UNC, Stanford, UCLA. UvA and a few others same. Plus great coaching. I think they would do better than some think.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  8. socalkdg

socalkdg New Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Feb 15, 2023
    We also forget the sport of soccer sees upsets all the time. Teams can dominate the pitch and still lose 1-0 or 2-1.

Crazyhorse and 2233soccer repped this.
  9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Apparently, Gilchrist, Dudley and Suarez made the U20 roster for upcoming games.
    Congrats to them.

sweepsit and RSLer repped this.
  10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    So we have an exhibition with the KC team tomorrow at IMG. They'll be in Colombia from the 18th to the 28th I believe.
    Sans Dudley, Suarez and Gilchrist, that could get ugly.

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Just read on TDS that 2025 F Jaida McGrew committed to FSU.
    She is #44 on TDS 2025 rankings. That brings us up to 7 commits.

Crazyhorse, Bigred. and Tally T repped this.
  12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Nighswonger and Krueger are on the USWNT for the Concacaf tournament.

Ben.D repped this.
  13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Jenna scored a PK last night against DR.

blissett repped this.
  14. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    Pensky is getting a lot of athletic and fast forwards to come to FSU. McGrew can absolutely fly.

Tom81 repped this.
  15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I think it would be safe to say he likes that style and having players with enough pace to make aggressive defenses pay!

16. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    No shock. That is is MO. FSU allows him access. He will continue to be very succesful. His plan works. Pace plays.

BG78 and Tom81 repped this.
  17. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Some ECNL highlights for Jaida McGrew Speed does stand out.

BG78 and VictoryCB repped this.
  18. BG78

BG78 New Member

FSU
    United States
    Nov 9, 2022
    WNC
    Videos do indeed show her talent (a la Dudley.)
    Wonder who did that soundtrack? :alien:

19. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I have a feeling that #44 rating on TDS may go up! That move she put on the GKer in the box at the 1:50 mark, was ankle breaking.

20. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    she looks like a difference maker, I think in general all of the 24 and 25 forwards committed are top 25 TDS worthy.

21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I agree that she does look like a difference maker. Only time will tell. The one thing you can't teach is speed.
    That used to be our big deficit against UNC. They could high press us all night and we didn't have the speed to make them pay. That's not the case anymore.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSU fans, mark your calendars for the year 2029! That will be to test a theory, which is that when a legendarily successful coach such as Krikorian leaves a team, it takes 7 years for the soccer "good will" associated with that coach to wear off. If the theory is correct, then the 2029 season will be when we get a true picture of how good the successor is.:geek:

ytrs repped this.
  23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Well if the early returns are any indication, he's off to a good start.
    He has always been gracious in acknowledging what Mark built. He is also blazing
    his own way. The post natty press conference showed how the players feel about him.
    His domestic recruiting is better than ever at FSU, so I'm very optimistic.

p.s. Just about ?18? years and we should catch UNC:cool:;):rolleyes::sneaky:

VictoryCB and Bigred. repped this.
  24. Bigred.

Bigred. Member

Barcelona
    Germany
    Dec 28, 2023
    rewatched the first test of the US U20 YNT vs Colombia.

Taylor Suarez is a very special player. She stands out in that team with her speed and technical ability. Colombia was very defensive and the USA didn't have a lot of good chemistry developed but still she was the best player to me in that game and nearly had an assist, the shot was brilliantly saved and hit the post though. Dudley didn't play in this game but if you put her and Suarez together it's going to be tough for defenses to defend. Gilchrist played the full 90 minutes in this game as well and did well. She missed one big chance with a header that went wide but she controlled the attacks by Colombia very well and had some good game line breaking passes. It's definitely unfortunate that they are going to miss a good portion of the season though. But on the other hand, just like with Echegini going to the World Cup, they could come back even better from the U20 World Cup.

25. H2Psoccerfan

H2Psoccerfan New Member

Nov 9, 2023
    Where is the replay available to watch?

VictoryCB repped this.