FSU 2023

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    The game was in Tampa. FSU lost 4-0 but the good news is that you are correct Heather did play.

ytrs repped this.
  2. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    You are correct. Roque and Mia were highly ranked. Roque had international experience with Puerto Rico and many people thought Mia was the best keeper in her class.

Emma may not be as highly rated but that doesn't matter. FSU needs a keeper. There needs to be at least two keepers on the roster. FSU will bring in another keeper in the portal this year (if they don't it's a huge failure). Therefore, FSU just needs Emma to be good enough to be a backup and she is certainly good enough to do that and she obviously has potential to improve.

3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It is awfully hard to get a strong new keeper when you have Roque on the roster with eligibility overlapping theirs. Roque is so damn good you will never play until she graduates.

4. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    It's absolutely true that Roque will be the #1 keeper as long as she is at FSU. However, there is a chance that they could try to entice someone by saying that they would be willing to platoon her with Roque. They did that for the last two years with Mia. The pitch could be that you can come to Tallahassee and play half the regular season games and contribute to a national championship quality team and then when Roque leaves you would be the #!.

I'm not saying that is the best pitch but it worked for a couple of years with Mia and she is an outstanding keeper.

The big question here is how many more years Cristina is going to stay. Will this be her last year or will she use her COVID year.

Remains to be seen.

The other thing is that I don't really expect FSU to get a strong keeper. Would be awesome if they could but they just need a keeper. FSU can't go into next season with only one keeper on the roster. I would consider it a win if they just got anyone at this point.

5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Mia Justus only played in 6 games this year. If someone of her pedigree is not going to get equal time I don't see anyone else. Roque is that good, and If I were Roque I would not settle for splitting. I have known of Roque since she was a U17 player. I have watched her with FSU. She is that special in my opinion. If she was taller she would be in the national team pool.

6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Maybe we are saying the same thing, but words are important. If, after seeing both keepers in training and games, the coach decided Roque full time was the better option, then that would be consistent with logic. You play your best combinations of players. In your example, its Justus who is not settling. I am pedantic about pedigree. I think too much of WoSo from youth on up is based on pedigree. It has to be because even in College, the best rarely play the best often enough to base it on much more.

7. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    You are correct. Mia only played six games. However, FSU only played 16 regular season games. Mia missed the first few games because she was on the U20 team. Therefore, she didn't miss any turns. When she was there the regular season games were split evenly between her and Roque.

Roque was the keeper for all of the postseason games.

Therefore, Mia did get equal time in the regular season but not the postseason.

I am pretty sure that Cristina would have been fine with this arrangement if Mia wanted to stay. But as 007 says it was Mia who was settling for not being the #1 keeper and not playing in the postseason. Everyone knew that the time would come when Mia would leave to be the #1 somewhere else. That time is now.

8. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    By Roque settling, I was referring to if it happened with a new keeper coming in, not Justus.

I meant that if I were Roque I would not settle for the coach promising someone they would split minutes with me to get them to come to FSU.

9. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    Quick Update:

The Orlando Pride beat FSU last Saturday 2-1. Emily Madril scored the first goal for the Pride.
    Heather Payne played for FSU.

That will be the last spring game for the Noles for at least a few weeks as several players will depart for International duty.

10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    HP playing is encouraging for the upcoming season, but certainly not a guarantee.

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Just playing around with potential lineups for upcoming season.
    Assuming a 4-3-3
    GKer Duhhhh
    Wide backs Payne and Iwai to start Claire Rain as an option.
    CBs Flynn and Gilchrist Rain or Freshman as a backup
    HMF Nesbeth Duhh
    AMF Taylor Huff, Zipay, Alagoa,
    WMF Alagoa, Bissell, Farkas, Heather Payne if Rain takes wide back, Iwai if freshman steps up at wide back,, Zipay
    Front 3 Echegini, Olsson, Brown A Stud starting 3. Garcia, ?Farkas?, Zipay a freshman.
    We have 4 stud freshmen rated higher than anyone last year if memory serves.

Barring serious injuries, we should be tough again.
    What say you Tally T or others?

12. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    Good lineup Tom.

A few observations:

Claire Rain will be starting. I haven't talked to Brian about this but there is no way that Claire came here to be a backup.

If Heather stays (no guarantee but it seems more likely than not at this point) that means that Iwai will likely move into the mix in the midfield.

If Heather stays the only real question is what happens at the last midfield spot if we assume a 4-3-3 for most of the season which I do.

So my lineup looks like this:

GK: Roque

Defenders: Payne, Flynn, Gilchrist, Rain

MF: Nesbeth, Huff, Alagoa

Forwards: Echegini, Olsson, Brown

Caveats:

There is a chance that a freshman could eventually earn a starting spot because they are talented.

Also, there is a chance that Brian could switch things up a bit because he has versatility on the roster. For instance he could move Payne to attacking midfielder. Mark had her on the backline mostly because he was desperate. She flourished there because she is so talented but it isn't her natural position.

I have Alagoa starting but I could see Bissell, Zipay, Iwai or even a freshman in that spot All of the other positions I am fairly confident in except Payne because she may play a different position (she will definitely be on the field).

Bottom Line:

This team will be very good no matter what. If Heather returns the team will be absolutely loaded. It's really hard (barring injury) to see a weakness.

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Appreciate the offseason discussion/speculation.
    If I were going to move one wide back to make room for Rain, it would be HP.
    No offense to Iwai, but HP is much more dangerous and a better passer in the midfield IMO.
    Keep in mind that for Ireland, I believe she plays forward. I agree with you that she could play AMF, but I believe that will be Huff's domain, although HP could play any of the positions during sub minutes.
    I'm going to assume a much more aggressive substitution pattern this year. I do believe that one or two (maybe even all 4) of the freshmen will force their way into huge playing time, but I have no idea where. Would give my eyeteeth to see the team in spring.
    Any intel from spring matches? Aren't the freshmen all here? I'd love to see Prince Akeem Joffer do an interview with Brian this spring.

14. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    Hard to really get intel on the spring games.

They like to keep them under wraps. I have heard conflicting stories about whether that is more FSU's choice or if it is more about what the pro teams want. Either way they don't publicize the games much at all.

There will be no further spring games for at least a few weeks as many players will be leaving for int'l duty.

Regarding Heather (if she returns) she will likely stay at outside back. There is more of a need for her there as FSU has more midfield talent on the roster.

I know that Rain and Huff are enrolled at FSU and are in Tally taking classes. I'm not sure about all of the freshmen.

15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Rain, Huff and the 4 freshmen are listed on the official roster.
    I believe that only happens when you are enrolled in school.

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Ha: I'm a Vol fan and haven't even been on this college site since the news of Huff and Rain transferring. To say I'm salty about it--and most especially the new Tennessee coach--would be an understatement. He made a complete mess of things last year and lost a good team's two best players and athletes.

17. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  18. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    Thanks for sharing Tom.

Obviously, I would love for her to return but don't take too much away from this article. It was written 11 months ago.

I talked to Heather about 10 days ago (right before Spring Break) and she said that she still hasn't made a decision. From our talk I would put the chances of a return at 50/50.

sweepsit repped this.
  19. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks!

20. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at some nwsl updates… looks like Nighswonger came into her first game ten mins in for Gotham and played at left wingback. She said after the game the coaching staff has been developing her for center back? Did not see that coming! She had really good defensive numbers in college tho. Looks like she had a great game out there, in a number of highlights.

Tom81 repped this.
  21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Hmm.

22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    She was really impressive last night. I watched the entire game. Krieger got injured less than ten minutes into the game so they had to make an untimely change. Jenna was stellar. Her teammates comments to her after the game say it all:

23. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Dont know if that is the long term plan, but she was very good in this game in that role. I was surprised that AC did not switch Thompson to her side to force Gotham to make a decision. I could see the logic in Gotham trying to ue her in an Inverted LB role. Not sure if they have all the other pieces for that though. Would be very ambitious

ytrs repped this.
  24. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Gotham's main weakness last year was the back line. This year they lack center back depth. In additiion Jenna has reportedly had an impressive preseason with the team. So my guess is that they are tying to solve to issues, their weakness and getting Jenna on the pitch. Gotham has a good midfield so they can take advantage of Jenna's versatility elsewhere to utilize her.

25. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I squint really hard, I can see left back working out. Watching her for years at fsu, cb is literally the last field position I would play her tho. Don’t understand that at all. Guess we’ll see if the coaching staff follows through. And hope for her sake she gets a chance to show what she can do elsewhere.