FSU 2023

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    it will be interesting to see if Dudley plays, and if so, how much.

2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    So Dudley played about ?65 minutes. She looked to be at about 80% IMO.
    FSU dominated the game and had the better shots. Pitt did clang one off the upright on a Free kick.
    FSU with a 19-8 shots advantage and 7-3 SOG advantage.
    Best team won. Now on to play Clemson!

Soccerhunter, Crazyhorse, BG78 and 3 others repped this.
  3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dudley will be ok, nothing major, I think. What is the scouting report on Clemson?

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU wins the ACCCG 2-1 over a tough Clemson side.
    That's 9 of the last 11 ACCT titles. That's insane!
    We've only won the regular season title like 4 or 5 times in the same time frame.
    FSU must do a very good job of peaking at the end of the year!

VictoryCB, Crazyhorse, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Clearly.

For much of the past 8 years that I've been watching and writing, I've referred to the ACC's Big Three: UNC, Virginia and FSU. That's clearly a dated notion. There's one top dog and the rest are chasing you guys. Congrats.

blissett, BG78, Tom81 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck of a season for FSU! Bravo!

7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Regular season. Win or go home now.

VictoryCB repped this.
  8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Very gracious of you Val1.
    Unless, BP hits the jackpot again with the portal and a couple of Covid seniors come back, we may take a big dip next year.
    It's probably time, but I'm not ready to give up. Mark's secret sauce was the internationals.
    Maybe, Brian's will be the portal!

sweepsit repped this.
  9. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be curious to see who takes another year. If all the seniors honored on senior day leave and recruiting class stays as is, that would drop the roster down to 18. I expect next year's season will largely be defined by who BP can bring in through portal or new commitments to actually field a full team. I think UVa's season this year is not out of the question for FSU tho depending on what that backfill looks like. Dudley adds a few wins on her own and can cover a lot of weaknesses assuming she stays. BP has been amazing in the portal so far, hopefully he can keep it up.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to believe FSU will be just fine next season. Inexperienced for sure, but the talent will still be on campus. I've heard good things about Hudson and Suarez, who will be here next season.

11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the lack of respect for what BP has been doing since he got here is alarming. Coach K is remarkable, but BP is capable as well.

VictoryCB repped this.
  12. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disrespect intended. I haven't seen much disrespect thrown his way in general. He's obviously had exceptional results in his time here, including in bringing in elite talent. Just had the best regular season in program history. Not much to quibble over there.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  13. Justafan17

Justafan17 New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Feb 11, 2021
    Ridiculously tough bracket for FSU. Notre Dame and Pitt (a #7 seed?!!) in the same quadrant?!!! With only 5 ACC schools in, it’s insane that FSU would have to play either ND or Pitt again so early.

Carolina92 repped this.
  14. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The committee really screwed FSU, and the ACC overall.

15. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasnt implying that you had been that way regarding BP. Other folks seem to be waiting for FSU to falter. I tend to believe the program is fine.

sweepsit repped this.
  16. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll only have to play one of Pitt/Memphis/ND/Ark tho. Any of them could come out of that side of the quadrant. Not sure who would even be favored in that group. I don't like the matchup with Arkansas, so don't mind if they get picked off early*

*Unless Podojil is out after she left the game with a non contact injury this weekend. That would make things easier. Wish her the best, very talented player.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. It is what it is.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one should be careful about what one blames the Committee for.

If you are concerned about only 5 ACC teams being in the Tournament, that was a function of the RPI, which ranks the ACC as the #5 conference this year, and of how the team rankings ended up. Realistically, there was no other team they could bring in without virtually disowning the RPI. Should they have brought Wake Forest in? Maybe, by relying on the KPI. But all hell would have broken loose, and it is not yet clear that the DI women's soccer coaches, as a group, have bought in to sending the RPI to the dumpster.

If you are concerned about placement of ACC teams in the bracket, that largely is not up to the Committee. They seed the teams in groups of four -- four #1s, four #2s, etc., through four #8s. It does not appear they put the teams in order in each seed group, although they may with the #1s and maybe some of the #2s. Once they have done that, the computer takes over and places teams -- consistent with their seeds -- in the manner that is most economically advantageous from a travel cost perspective. The one limitation on that is that two teams from the same conference cannot face each other in the first or second round.

If one is not happy with the bracket, I say blame the NCAA and the DI soccer coaches as a group for not having ash-canned the RPI. And blame the NCAA for not allowing the Committee to seed the entire bracket with seeds1 through 64, which would produce a great tournament. That would be similar to the truncated 2020 tournament when all teams played in Cary due to Covid and where they were able to seed all 32 teams into appropriate positions.

19. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morehead St is apparently coming for FSU's heads. Hopefully the Noles are ready!

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    This is actually 2024, but we signed Emma Kirlin a 3 star GKer out of NC, Taylor Suarez a 4 star (#18 TDS) forward out of NC and Nina Norshie a JC AA from Ghana.
    We are waiting for the signings of Wriana Hudson a 4 star out of NY and Peyton McGovern a 4 star out of Virginia.
    Can't wait to find out what transfers may join the Noles next year!

sweepsit repped this.
  21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Here is JC Footage of Norshie.
    Big, tall strong player with good pace. Excellent in the air.
    Will need refining of her touches for ACC play. Didn't see her turn and take girls 1v1 very often.

22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  24. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tom81 repped this.
  25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I love me some Jenna Nighswonger, but I didn't expect her to have that level of 1st year success.
    I would not have been surprised if Howell last year, or even Madril this year did, but I am very happy for her.
    My next hope is that some of our successful players get more than a cameo at the national team level.