FSU 2022

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I want to congratulate the FSU team for a great season, the ACC champions, and an incredible effort last night. While I have enjoyed being a UNC women's soccer fan for 40 some years, I also find myself rooting for other teams (ACC soccer teams and FSU in particular when they are not playing the Heels.) And I know well the feelings resulting from a loss of a NCAA tournament game, sometimes in my earlier days really bummed for weeks.

So for this reason I want to also congratulate FSU fans too. I have admired and enjoyed your posts on BigSoccer over the years sharing your pride in your team and being gracious to non FSU fans. We all enjoy good soccer!

And candidly, as I have posted on the UNC board, I do believe that the FSU team has been better than the UNC team for the past 4 years in an overall sense. But the teams are close enough that on any given day for skill or luck one could beat the other, even if the overall trend would indicate that (in this case) FSU is the stronger team. So stay positive, and support your team.

Cheers!

2. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    If they played another 90, I think y’all would have won about 8-3.

sweepsit and Tom81 repped this.
  3. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Im curious to see what this team looks like in the coming years. I think they will always be good but I feel like their days of dominating are coming to an end.

4. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I think Pensky did a great service to himself this season though in giving faith to recruits that FSU will continue to be a top team. The UNC game was fantastic to watch as a neutral observer. He can recruit well off this season's success under him.

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    There’s no doubt Pensky did a great job this year. I just don’t think he will be able to bring in the same caliber of player that MK could. That’s not a diss on Pensky. I don’t think anyone could bring in that same level of player.

6. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    From the fan of a formerly dominant team, Being really good is still super fun, even if not dominant. FSU will be fine. Either team could have won Friday.

7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    i think it depends what you call dominating. they have had an incredible knack for gutting out results in tournament play. even in games where they did not necessarily dominate in the run of play. the soccer gods cannot favor you all the time. the transfer portal has changed the nature of recruiting at the top of the tree.

8. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I certainly agree with this observation. Of the final four, Alabama certainly proves this point starting 2 graduate students and a senior transferring in from Virginia, Oklahoma, and South Carolina respectively and perhaps not coincidentally went from a 10 win season to a 20 win season.

The portal and the addition of an extra year of eligibility has supercharged transfers, it seems. It will be interesting to see what happens when the covid 5th year is no longer there in 2025.

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dominating?
    Over the past 10 years we have won or tied 6 regular season championships.
    Over the same time we won 8 ACCT championships.
    We won 3 nattys. In none of them did we gut out a win against the run of play. In fact, in 20 we lost to Santa Clara in PKs despite owning the run of play.
    Have we won some games against the run of play? Yes. Who hasn't?
    This was all done while recruiting at a disadvantage domestically.
    So yes, I would call that dominating.
    Historically, all runs are compared against UNC, and are ultimately dwarfed by their run of ?21?22 nattys.

To insinuate the soccer gods have favored us is not objective and could even be taken as insulting.
    To fans of other ACC Schools reading this, please forgive my bragging a bit.
    Unless Brian inherits Mark's international connections, or is a super recruiter of the portal, I fear our run could be over. We'll see.

10. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I think they will continue to dominate ( by my definition). Maybe i did not express it well. I think they can fall slightly from those amazing results and still dominate. They are a great program and as such I dont see them not being in the top ecehlon any time soon.

PS I dont think the recruiting part matters. In some ways its an advantage.

11. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I am not sure which post you are reacting to , but I most definitely did not intend to insult FSU fans or the the FSU program at all. I have nothing but respect for the FSU women’s soccer program.

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I was not responding to you.
    It's all good!
    I'm still stinging from our tourney exit, but I will be cheering for the ACC on Monday!

Soccerhunter repped this.
  13. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't forgot there are some folks on this board who we have likely chosen to ignore with good reason (like that CrazyHorse guy, we've all ignored him by now, yes?) ... so you might not see who someone is responding to. I'm still trying to remember to respond with this in mind so people are not confused and upset by my post that might seem to come out of no where.

The conversation about dominance is a tricky one for me, but I'm surprised that an FSU fan is shying away from the idea that they've had the most dominant program in the past 10 years. All the evidence is there to support that. I wouldn't be too dismissive of what you've accomplished, that can be annoying in its own way, can even be seen as a form of mocking... the term "Humble bragging" comes to mind.

Crazyhorse and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  14. USFSU

USFSU Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Looks like Mia Justus posted that she's on her way to Texas. Best of luck to her. Enjoy watching her play. She has an aggressiveness that Christina doesn't match. Pros and cons with that, but I somewhat prefer it. Not to take anything away from Roque, she's awesome.

15. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to see Justus leave. FSU had her for longer than I expected though. She’s too talented to be watching the big games from the sidelines for too long. Hope Pensky has someone identified to take over for roque.

16. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Roque technically has two more years of eligibility though, doesn't she? One of her three years was a Covid year.

It was a given Justus would leave. Candidly I was surprised she stayed for this season after being the #2 to Roque her freshman season.

17. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty sure Roque will be the next FSU player I will be very happy to see depart. This year it was Robbins...

18. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    To each their own, but I dont think Justus is in the same league as Roque, who I think is as good a keeper as there is in the college game and has the big game mentality you need at FSU. I dont think FSU wins the title last season without her.

Crazyhorse and ytrs repped this.
  19. USFSU

USFSU Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Just to clarify; wasn't trying to say I preferred Mia over Christina. Meant it more as a good luck and singing a bit of praise. If all other qualities are equal I prefer aggressive over not aggressive; however, I don't think all other qualities are equal between them. Christina I'd say has more polish as a GK right now and better reflexes. But I'll be interested to see how Mia grows in time. I could see both of them having some NT play in the future.

20. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Fair enough, and good points.

21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a long time FSU fan, I wanted to apologize on this thread to the UNC fans. I made dumb and irrational statements after our defeat. Again I apologize to any and all UNC fans.

Soccerhunter, McSkillz and blissett repped this.