FSN announcers - Hungry Strike: Day One

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by El_Chino, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Well, I do this sometimes and I must say the fact that I can't understand when they say something stupid is a plus. In fact, I don't even notice when they say something stupid. That's a definite plus. I had no idea thinking so made me a "moron".

Uh, it's not absurd. It's called exaggerating to make a point.

2. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    FSN=Fox Sports Nworld (the N is silent)

While we're on the subject-what happened to Christian Bozzo?

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    This thread is great. All of you BS veterans don't know what you're talking about.

BTW, I haven't eaten since breakfast. Out of solidarity I'll continue the hungry strike with you until lunchtime.

4. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    There is a big difference between telling me you listen to Spanish announcers because you don't want to hear any commentary and insinuating that commentary you do not understand is better than commentary you can understand.

Uh, in this case it goes WAY beyond exaggeration. The facts those guys dig up on a variety of leagues and literally hundreds of players take a lot of real time and effort. I can assure you our esteemed poster has never once stepped behind the mike as prepared as these guys are to announce the game. Yet he's oh so willing to be hyper critical.

5. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    of course you dont have to know spanish to
    enjoy the commentary....
    most spanish styles basically immitate the
    european style except with more emotion..

you dont hear the ramblings on in a spanish
    commentated match... like bretos and hopkins

if you can identify that they are saying the names
    of the players... you can enjoy a spanish
    commentated match...

just because a british accent is doing the
    commentary doesnt mean it is better...the
    brit that has starting doing some of the PBP
    on the spanish matches is horrible.... every time
    he intro's a premiership match he calls it the
    "PREM"... i want to slap him every time he says
    that

bretos and hopkins are terrible... i dont care how
    many high school posters are for this duo... im
    around football people all the time, from all nations
    and 99% think they are crap also...

in a perfect world switch JP delacamera over to
    fsw.. and bretos and hopkins to the mls...
    that would suite me just fine..

Cantona----

6. El_Chino

El_Chino New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Maryland
    "insinuating that commentary you do not understand is better than commentary you can understand..."

Ahhh...now you're starting to catch on. This is it exactly. That's how bad Bretos and Hopkins are. Not having to hear them makes the broadcast more enjoyable by a factor of at least ten. They ruin the experience. I routinely turn off games that I would have otherwise enjoyed simply because I can't take their cackling anymore.

Unintelligible announcers are preferable provided they have some sense of the rhythm of the game and understand it well enough to discern when something of importance is happening.

When Andres Cantor raises his voice I look up because I know something dramatic is happening. When Max Bretos raises his voice it means nothing. His inflections are in no way related to what is happening on the pitch. He will scream over anything, no matter how inconsequential, while the best runs/passes/tackles of the game go without remark.

And his goal call, or should I say "Gal!" call is one of the single-most irritating auditory experiences I have ever encountered. When I see the ball hit the back of the net I immediately hit the mute button and don't dare bring the sound up again until I see that play has restarted.

7. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Whatever happened to the first ammendment??

8. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    I take it you don't like these guys.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since Bigsoccer.com isn't affiliated with the government, the First Amendment has nothing to do with it.

10. Giffetinho

Giffetinho New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    1. By the title of the thread I thought someone was going to eat until they literally exploded or until their demands were met. I'm thoroughly disappointed.

2. How did Figo fare against MLS players recently?

3. It's been said before, but I'll repeat: be thankful there's a plethora of soccer on TV in the USA.

4. If it's that bad, hit the mute button and pop in some nice background music.

5. If it's that bad, hit the mute button and because you're so knowledgeable already about soccer you don't really need anybody's commentary.

6. Can I collect your Darwin Award for you?

11. El_Chino

El_Chino New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Maryland
    2. How did Figo fare against MLS players recently?

Point taken. Nonetheless, MLS v. La Liga would not go nearly so well as USA v. Portugal did. The best sides in football are the club sides, not the national teams. But that is another topic.

4. If it's that bad, hit the mute button and pop in some nice background music.

The crowd noise is part of the ambience of the game. And I am often doing something else while watching the match and I need to hear the match being called so ad not to miss anything. Besides, a good announcer is part of the entertainment, and there is no reason FSW viewers should be deprived of that when there are a plethora of qualified candidates ready and available to displace Heckle and Jeckyl.

6. Can I collect your Darwin Award for you?

That one has already been used, you unoriginal hillbilly. Go find a new routine.

12. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    ### MODERATOR'S NOTE ###

Calm down, everyone.

This is a silly thread.

I can't stand Max Brrrrrrretos myself, but I'm not going to lose any meals over him. Unless, of course, he makes me upchuck. Which is not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

13. vtravi

vtravi Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Brimfield, Mass
    I really enjoy listening to Max and Allen. I would be very upset if they left. They keep me interested in games that I normally wouldn't ( I am watching Woman's Gold Cup Canada v. Haiti. It is 7-1 as I type). Just enjoy the games, I love soccer and I can sense the love from Max and Allen and that is what matters.

There is one announcer I don't like, but I don't remeber his name. I just can't unerstand a word he says. He has thick Spanish accent. But no complaints.

14. El_Chino

El_Chino New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Maryland
    Max Bretos couldn't keep me interested in a WNT game if Brandi Chastain was going down on Mia Hamm in the center circle.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Ow, my freakin' ears!

17. Giffetinho

Giffetinho New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Maybe I'll go on a hungry strike...

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Sorry folks. but I was told that if someone was going on a hunger strike, better shout, because their concentration is fixed on their stomach and their hearing tends to disappear.

19. El_Chino

El_Chino New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Maryland
    "Maybe I'll go on a hungry strike..."

Gnaw on this...