PBP: FSL @ Rapids • Sat., Aug. 21 • 7pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 20, 2021.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
  2. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Bassett's weakest game of the season: beaten badly and several giveaways. As many have said, the subs changed the game. Kaye was wonderful for the entire game: confident on the ball, great touch on his passes, head always up looking to move the ball forward, and a great header from a great cross by Galvan. After the VAR ref, Kaye easily the MOTM. What an exciting night at Dick's!

Sports Yak, Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was stuck in traffic so was only able to watch the highlights so far. I LOVE BEATING FSL! That is all :)

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to point out Mayaka (1st rnd pick) was in the 18 (even though Rapids website still shows him as loaned out).

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not according to this? Did you see him there? Otherwise I think it was a data entry mistake that tripped up a number of people last night, even the Denver Post credited the second goal to Mayaka in their first draft. The MLSsoccer.com stats page on the match shows him with 0 minutes, but I don't think he was actually there.

https://www.coloradorapids.com/news/roster-notes-colorado-rapids-vs-real-salt-lake

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My theory is that the central data hub of MLS never disassociated Mayaka from the number that MAK wore, because even the MLS app showed Mayaka in the Starting 11. And then that data got pushed out to ESPN, to the Denver Post, etc. I couldn't watch the game live because we were at a party, but I checked the MLS app to see the starting 11 and was terribly confused.

COMtnGuy, m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Last thoughts. Rapids played to good luck. Two FSL goals taken away on offsides. (The first one razor close.) Wilson survives a blunder on the second.

Bassett had no idea what he was doing on the outside. Galvan was special again. Finally, the Rapids have depth for the first time in memory and Fraser knows how to use it.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Killed me to be at the at stadium grounds but not actually at the game. I can thank the Rapids Classic Tournament for that! Anyways…. watched the game tonight. Oooof that was a painful first 45. Second half wasn’t much better but as everyone has pointed out subs were the difference in the game. Fraser nailed those. I continue to be impressed with Galvan. There’s apart of me that wants to happily scream about Galvan’s play and potential. Then there’s a part of me that’s like shhhhhhh I don’t want anyone to know how good he can be. He’s like a little secret weapon that people are finding out about. I guess it was bound to happen. Dude keeps impressing me. I’m not afraid to say he’s becoming one of best super subs in the league.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I thought the Rapids were doing okay for about the first 5 to 10 minutes.
    After the first 10 minutes or so until Rubio's goal it really was all RSL.
    The Rapids absolutely looked gassed. They were a step or two behind and FSL and were not able to connect passes. Boy were the they fortunate to go into the half with the 0-0 draw, and it wasn't only due to VAR* calling off the FSL goal.

Generally, Fraser has done a good job putting individual players in a position to help the team succeed. But I sure hope he never puts Bassett on the wing again. It not only allowed FSL to get in behind repeatedly on his side, but it seemed to destroy his confidence when the Rapids were in possession.

Once again, Yarbrough made some huge saves to keep the Rapids alive. His been critical in the recent Rapids win streak.

Interesting tactical choice by Fraser to keep the high press going late in the match when playing with the lead. They had two windows left for subs and didn't use them to bring in Moor or Warner.

*If I was hearing C38 correctly, the were chanting V-A-R! leading up to the review. When that goal was disallowed Pablo went absolutely nuts on the FSL bench.

In the second half when the PK was called Acosta and the Rapids did their best to delay so in the hopes of getting it overturned. It was like a US - Mexico match.

The opposition would be wise to keep Galván on his right rather than left foot.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1429511186794520579 is not a valid tweet id

11. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expect more samba and less drunk white guy dancing to pop country from Shinyashiki.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.