FSC/FSE Megathread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Girlbinti, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Why does FSC's Chris Sullivan have a Latin accent?

i don't think Sullivan has an accent per se, i just think he has a soft, scratchy voice and he pronounces each Spanish surname to perfection. i think people are taking that as 'he has an accent'. the guy's from Cali ... he has no Latin accent.

2. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston

the only people i have ever heard speak the way he does are hispanics who grew up in spanish speaking households but spoke english at school. He sounds just like that.

3. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

I think it is from studying the broadcasting magic that is Christian Miles. Now that is a guy who you know has had Spanish as his #1 language growing up.

4. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: FSC: Thoughts on their annoucers and picking up 100% of Serie A

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.........I am no nativist but the Canadian accent is irritating? And the Ugly American rears his head........again. Maybe Canadians find your posts on Big Soccer irritating. It's like anything else, if you don't like it don't look at it.

Most people find New Yawk and Baaston accents irritating. It's the reason you almost NEVER hear those accents outside of Baaston or New Yawk or on national tv because it sounds like nails on a chalk board. But the broadcasters on FSWR have accents fo faint you can barely hear it.

5. Weakerthan

Weakerthan New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Winnipeg

Actually, the show was originally created for the Canadian channel only, and was originally titled Global SportsLink. It was eventually rebranded to Fox Sports World Report (and again to Fox Soccer Report) and exported internationally.

The point is, it is technically FSWC's flagship show, which FSC buys... actually, at this point, FSC probably foots the bill for most, if not all the show. But, it started as a Canadian show for a Canadian channel, hence the Canadian crew and Canadian accents... eh!

6. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why can't FSC get more SkySports News on? Seriously the Asian Football highlights show is boring as ******** and the re-runs of MLS games aren't really entertaining after you've already seen them. Why not air another hour-long block in the early afternoon?

7. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD

So? They could be broadcasting from Mars for all I care. As long as I get highlights, I'm happy.

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

I could swear it sounded like Scottish accent.:)

9. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston

but bobby mcmahon's accent is ok because he doesn't say the letter "o" like a canadian!!!

;)

10. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would love to see FSC broker a deal with the Premiership and TWI to get access to old episodes of the Premiership Review Show. I would love to see them go back to say the 1997 season and air the Weekly Review Show in chronological order at 7am and 5pm when there isn't a game in the 5pm to 7pm eastern slot Monday through Friday.

This would be an excellent way for new fans in America to get an idea of the history of the Premiership with all the players, teams, and storylines that make for one of if not the best league in the world!

11. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved the old review show with Lionel Bienvenue. That had the best theme song ever, I wish I could find it somewhere.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Where's Christian Bosso on the Argentine League games? He's wacky!

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Is that the chilean guy? If that's who you're talking about, he left quietly because of undisclosed reasons and is back in his homeland, Chile.

I believe he posted here after he left and said that he was gonna give/post the reasons later. Never did though...

14. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I remember he used to do this show on ESPN around '96/97 that was very similar to what 45/45 is now. Then, he went to FSWE and started calling the EPL games and then the Argie league.

Metro

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    He did give an Hispanic flavor to the Argentine commentary/coverage that Bretos just doesn't capture .

16. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    he and bretos together in my opinion was the best commentary team in the US. I did like Bretos/Hopkins as well

17. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Bretos and anyone is a bad combination.

18. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    The problem with these megathreads is that there are 50 different conversations happening, which will have some overlap but are different enough that there is no way to actually have a discussion. So to interrupt the Bretos comments, I have to say that the FSE picture quality for Libertadores matches not involving America or Boca look like they are captured with a cellphone. My god, I have DVDs of games from the 70s that look better than much of what FSE is showing. I know Fox is trying to save some money (per earlier conversations on this board about FSC) but this is the premier South American club competition. As much as ESPN drives me nuts with their ticker and other graphics, at least they know how to deliver a high quality image for their premier club competition. Some of FSE's coverage is so bad it's difficult to tell the two teams apart during wide angle shots (e.g., Nacional v. Necaxa). Sad. Take care.

19. Elwood

Elwood New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Indianapolis
    What he said.

Oh, and Bretos is effing awful. But so is Phil Schoen, Lindsey Dean (is that his last name), Dave O'Brien and Nick Webster really needs to quit picking up the American tendancies to babble on incessantly for no reason whatsoever (a habit that Ray Hudson has also picked up, but at least he's sometimes humorous...sometimes).

There's nothing worse than hearing an announcer say something along the lines of "Listen to that crowd!", instead of, you know, letting us viewers actually listen to that crowd (Max, Nick and Ray are all very much guilty of this).

Sorry for bring up some GolTV and ESPN announcers in the new and useless FSC/FSE Megathread.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    FSC is showing the Germany v San Marino Euro 2008 qualifier on 2 June. That should be a real cracker!

Now, before you all get too excited over there, they are not showing this match live. Only on tape-delay.

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Here's your chance to see 20 goals scored in a single game.

Thx,

Jay!

(by a single team...)

22. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Feel free to start threads that are not directly related to FSC, for example about the commentators. After a period of inactivity it will be merged into this thread, for organization.

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I don't know about that, didn't Cyprus beat Germany ? There aren't easy games in Europe anymore.

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    They tied (Cyprus and Germany).

Metro

25. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Just wanted to actually praise FSC for using the international feed on both of the Brazil friendlies. :) Hopefully they continue to do so.