Frustration

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by murphyskicks, Jun 10, 2009.

1. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So... I have always been a soccer fan, but never really followed the Rapids closely until this season. I only joined up and found this site a handful of weeks ago. But let me say this...

I am so frustrated with the lack of information about the team in general. I can get all the information in the world about Boy Scout night, Marta, youth clinics, fireworks night, rugby, wine and beer tasting, etc... on the Rapids website but there is zero information about
    - how Gary Smith feels about any of the players,
    - how Smith thinks the team is progressing,
    - How the players feel about an upcoming game or day off
    - Which players are really pressing for playing time in practices
    - How the environment has changed with Smith at the helm
    - What teams did Bravo watch in Argentina last week
    - How do players grade out in any given game
    - Etc...

I know it is stupid to compare soccer coverage with football coverage, but if some college kid who the Broncos might draft in 2013 gets a head cold there are fourty articles I can read about it, but trying to find relevant stories about the Rapids on their own website in the heat of the season is impossible. Or I'll even say that I can go out right now and find more articles about Fulham than I can about any MLS team.

It is sad really that it is so hard to follow the team.

2. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    When people from others parts of the country ask me about sports coverage in Denver, I usually say something like:

"I expect one night for the news to start - Earth killing meteor to impact tomorrow morning, destroying life as we know it....but first, we have this report from Broncos training camp".

The media reports what they believe people want to read/hear/see. It's that simple.

3. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    But on the Rapids own website?? Totally unacceptable.

4. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    and that's different from other MLS team websites how? How about the Aves, the Nuggets, etc. etc.

That doesn't make it right, but maybe your expectations are inconsistent with the way things are throughout all of professional sports in the U.S.

5. problem child

problem child New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    murph. just go to the stadium.
    pound on the ticket window.
    start yelling until the police show up.

about the same thing as posting here.

nobody cares anymore about this crap.

6. mojo10

mojo10 Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Rocky Mtn Hi CO.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    never mind.

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    The Rapids supporter group is looking for someone that would like to cover the team once a week. If professional and fair and balanced - we could probably get some access to the players and coaches.

We'd all like to see more coverage. Get involved. Nick Thomas did and he's the main man now (doing a stellar job I may add!)

8. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously people, this is a GREAT opportunity to provide some really good new-news for Rapids fans AND possibly get some good access. Anyone up for it?

9. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    yes, but it would be a hell of a commute.
    :D

10. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    This has been a problem ever since the first day the Rapids played. I wish I thought it was going to change but it is probably not going to. I remember back when John Elway was a Bronco and I could read in the paper what kind of candy he was giving out for Halloween. That could happen at the same exact time that I might not know by the news coverage if we even had a soccer team. Even though soccer is number one in my heart and in most peoples' hearts in the world, it is not even close to that here. There is better coverage for underwater poker. It seems to be an un-American ideal to love soccer, at least from a media point of view, and after years and years of venting about it, the obvious truth is that it is not going to change until we have a run like Spain is having right now, and that probably will never happen until the Kobe's of our country start to choose futbol over basketball.

11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Can Kobe play left back? I see him more as a center back or target forward but left back is what we need the most. ;>) (Just to get all USMNT N&A on the topic.)

12. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    I wish he would have played LEFT OUT in the Nuggets series!!!!!:D