Front Office

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rev_fan2001, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised they sold that may day of tickets for midweek. If the Revs only care about ticket revenue and not the 80% for all as Tom proposed, it's beyond sad. Do they not realize a good experience for all and good sporting product = more that actually show up, which equals more revenue in parking, concessions, et al? Even Jeremy Jacobs showed an occasional understanding of this, overspending in the Summer of 2001 notwithstanding.

What I'm saying is, they need to care about all groups who show up, not necessarily completely cater to them, or they're only cheating themselves from a revenue standpoint.

2. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Do you think this may have something to do with the personalities involved, ie. Revs Management?

I don't know them personally, but from what I've heard via interviews and read in the papers, it just doesn't seem like they can relate well to the hard core types. And I'm thinking specifically of Peter Wilt or the guy running the show in Columbus.

It just seems like those guys are a little more in tune with all of their fan base and more comfortable in reaching out to and interacting with more than just the soccer mom families.

But I say that as just an impression I get. I have no specific personal experiences or inside knowledge to back that opinion up.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's hard to say, Tea Men Tom. Like you, I don't know for sure where they stand, but I suggested to Todd in the last off-season that they create a "family" section in the end-zone opposite the fort so that ticket agents could offer 2 alternatives of cheap seats, depending on what type of fan you are. He gave me a vague response that they realized that their "fanbase consists of many groups," but offered nothing concrete in how they cater to different types.

Of course, having knowledgeable ticket agents who can explain the differences in the 2 end zones will help people not get stuck where they don't want to be will go a long way, but I don't think that's an option now. And good luck with TicketBastard making that distinction. And the website won't have that information either, since they'll be updating that at least 4-5 times a year from now on.

The end result is that more people will have a negative experience at the game. If "Family Guy," his lovely wife, and their young'uns get stuck in the fort where people stand, make noise, bang drums and use R-rated language, when they really wanted to be at the end where Slyde sling-shots T-shirts into the crowd, they might not come back to buy any more $10 happy meals for each of their 3.5 children. And if the 20-somethings in the fort are hassled to the point they won't come back, so much for selling the $6 beers, even if they have already paid in advance for their tickets.

You'd think with Single Entity, there would be some "best practices" tips by the various sales, marketing, and corporate accounts people demonstrating what works for them in their situations. Sure, every city is different, but somehow Dallas manages to keep different groups of fans happy with attendance increasing every year, and perhaps the lowest budget of any team in the league. What are they doing that we aren't? OK, that's a rhetorical question, but the real question is why aren't we paying attention to their tactics, and emulating the ones that would work in our market?

Tom

4. ck1

ck1 New Member

Jan 18, 2001
    Gaby & Rosanna

As a former employee who left the Revolution...

I wish Gaby and Rosanna the best...they are two of the nicest women I have come across

I am sorry to hear they fell victim to the Evil Empire

5. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    Kraft has been told by others (or talked himself into it) that he is an extremely "high profile jewish businessman in a brand new facility" and that these combine to make him and the stadium a target for terrorism. As a result, they seem to have gone over the deep end to make the place "safe". however, in reality, security would hardly stop someone from getting in and doing some damage if they really desired and the consequence is that many things that could provide "atmosphere" at the matches are banned. Now whether he is a target or not…I don't know. In the end, we suffer. Dallas, DC, and Chicago specifically seem to have no problems letting their fans be expressive in a number of different ways (and we're talking the nation's capital here). I'm sure the other teams have found ways too. The "9/11 policies" here seem to be far stricter than tons of other venues soccer or not.

Look at dallas for example. They had a problem with a sunny side of the stadium that always seemed empty for the cameras. So, they made that side a general adm. area, lowered the ticket prices, and encouraged some "craziness". The result seems to be a balance between the rowdies and the families that shows allows for some "atmosphere" (esp for the cameras), there's an affordable ticket there (even at midfield no less), and there's "separation" between the groups.

My sense is that there is a real lack of vision, creativity, and latitude in the organization to do anything other that what's "safe" and what will offend the fewest number of people. It really is this simple….the bulk of the tickets (season tix or not) are bought by people or families that just want to "watch". There really seems to be no impetus on the organizations part to foster and encourage anything different….regardless if there is the possibility it may grow and help the "feel of gameday". It works for the Pats b/c of their 50k waiting list. Those people with tix will do whatever the heck you tell them to do b/c they're in "fear mode". However, we get lumped into the same damn pot and we don't have that waiting list luxury. People are just going to get bored and stop coming. The front office is putting ALL their eggs in the "if we can just put a winning product on the field" basket…..and it ain't working.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, how does the post-9/11 security policy at Foxboro compare with other similar stadiums around the US? I haven't been to any other stadiums since then in the US, but this was how heavy the "security" was at 4 soccer grounds in England this past April, as I tried to enter with a backpack full of explosives and undetermined white powder, not to mention leaflets written in Arabic (oh wait, that was the other bag:

Loftus Road, QPR: Nothing. Walked right in with not even a check
    Filbert Street, Leicester City: A guard politely asked to look in my bag. All I had was a couple of fanzines, a sweatshirt, a newspaper and even some food that I forgot I had. He let me through after a quick look.
    Anfield, Liverpool: Similar to Leicester.
    Elland Road, Leeds: No check at all, like QPR.

Tom

7. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    I've been to the Swamp twice since 9/11 and neither time did they let any bags in at all. Oh, and they frisked everyone.

8. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    hey, i'm jealous Mr. HiLl.....i really want to head out to loftus to see fulham play this year.

anyway, i went to the Meadowlands and don't really remember any spectacular security. i wasn't carrying anything...maybe that's why. anyway, in general i don't have a big problem with the bag issue and even the cliff notes of a frisk. but...why are trumpets "a safety issue"? even those plastic blow horns you see a soccer matches all the time? cow bells from the brazilian band? and what's the safety concern with those tubed plastic bladders for water....esp, if they have no water in them. god, i could just as easilly take the finished icee container (comes w/lid) fill it up and throw it on the field...do it with the coke from a happy meal too. its just contradictory rational for policy that is really 1/2 security and 1/2 i want to sell my own damn food hidden in there.

look, d.c. lets in instruments, dallas does too, crew at least lets in blow horns and drums i believe, most if not all mls teams allow those type of things. these guys have taken it way to far. they aren't "safety issues". they just conveniently hide the fact that they don't want to offend parents with a loud neighbor under a 9/11 guise instead of thinking up a creative way to make both parties happy. its laziness and/or paranoia....you chose.

9. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    I think we all need to remember in regards to security that the first time there is a screw up for people being less than cautious that those who raise their voices about how oppressive things are now will be the first to shout the loudest if something should happen

It's the classic damned if you do and damned if you don't

I would guess that most here have zero experience when it comes to such matters and with all due respect should stick to what they are experts at - ripping the shreds out of one the worst soccer teams ever to take the field.

10. jjx2

jjx2 New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Hyde Park, Ma
    This hread has gotten some very interesting (at least to me?) off shoots- going.

As for other stadiums- Jimmy and I have been to the Swamp a couple of times since 9/11- we were frisekd each time- and saw them turning anyone with a bag away.
    For the Pats two pre-seasons- so far- it was very much like the Revs as to allowances in- our binolculars- were allowed but only after a secrutiy person actually used them to look at something- again no bags or such.
    At the CopaUEFA match in Milan- we were frisked-had our tickets checked twice-prior to entering the stadium-and once again inside on the concourse- there was a whole section of the parking lot- set aside for the visitors fans- who were very thouroughly screened and searched- however- smoke bombs and bags of confetti etc were allowed through as long as they were willing to actually give it to security- then have it returned?
    I really did not see any x-ray or other devices used by security to veirfy want they actaully had possesion of- but...!
    Have been to Fenway a few times and got a pat down each time.

As for ST holders and renewal- this year has been a very difficult one from a few standpoints. It is really not anywhere near as an enjoyable experiance inside or outside the stadium this year.
    For the first time in 7 years- we do not feel any real connection to this team or any of the players?

As for Todd and Peter Wilt discussion- I have met and talked to both of them more than a few times.
    Soccer wise they both seem to have a similiar level of passion for the sport and the business of soccer.
    They actually have known each other for a long time with a soccer connection from years ago- when they were involved in the same organization. While Todd has had a "very full plate" this year both personally and professionally- I have always found him to be respectful of my opinions and within the bounds of his position failry honest in his responses in one to one discussions.
    Peter Wilt is a man who pays attention to little details an recognizes them as part of the big picture- I think the Fire as an organization has done a better job of reaching out to the whole soccer community and all it's different faces than the Rev- on a personal note-his relationship with Jimmy has been incredible, since the first time we met him in Chicago a few years ago.

Jon

11. redondo10

redondo10 New Member

Apr 17, 2001
    good workers vs good people

Let's get back to the subject of the thread.

Yes Gaby, Rosanna, Darius, and Dave were good people but they were also good workers! I have come across the those guys at various soccer and public events usually spending there whole days under a hot tent.

Who will spend there time going to soccer camps, board meetings, spanish league games all on the weekends including what they do during the week? Patriots Marketing? Will they pitch how Vinateri can juggle the ball 100 times? The thing about Darius and Dave is that they have been doing the soccer thing for awhile so they have some pretty extensive contacts. Do the Pats people have relationships with all the people in these different pockets of soccer?

I don't feel good about what is coming at all.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see this as a good move for the Rev at all. Sure, it's good for the bottom line. But given that the constant criticism of the Rev front office is that they've shown little creativity in marketing the team and little regard for the hard-core fans, I can't imagine how it's going to get better by having Patriots staffers doing all of that.

And redondo10 brings up a good point about the Rev staffers' relationships with influential soccer people around New England. One of the 947 things that the Miami Fusion did wrong during their short history is that in the beginning, they alienated themselves from the South Florida soccer community and didn't establish any sort of positive relationship with them.

People are more likely to buy from people that they know and have a good relationship with. I can't imagine that it's going to do the Revolution much good, laying off the people that had the good relationships with the local soccer associations and sending out Patriots salespeople as their replacements.

13. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I posted in the News thread on this topic...

I agree. The potential is there. I sincerely hope this is purely a business cost-cutting move that the Krafts hope will further the Revs organization by getting the most out of its sales and marketing employees. It shouldn't damage (for lack of a better word) the Patriots organization in any way. I think/hope it's the Krafts trying to get the most out of their employees at a time when they just spent lots of money on a new stadium while they apparently continue to lose money with the Revs.

That's probably part of the thinking. I hope.

There is definitely revenue potential for the Revs. (and for that matter MLS and US Soccer etc.)

Somehow the powers that be in the league(Commissioner Garber - a former NFL Europe marketing employee as I recall, Lamar Hunt, Phil Anschutz (sp?), the Krafts) need to work with MLS and US Soccer marketing and business employees and take things to a new level. It's a challenge and an uphill battle as we've all seen in the last 7 years, but I believe it can be done. And I sure hope these personnel moves aren't a negative sign or step back, but an attempt to step forward.

14. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't read much about SUM (shame on me). it bothers me to hear that they are not involved.

I feel bad for those that were let go and for those that are left behind. It's not easy to do the job of several people because you have a "skeleton crew." I speak from experience on that one. Turnover is extremely high where I work. We have a staff of 10 currently. I have been here for 4 1/2 years and I have seen at least 25 people come and go. Granted, some of them had other interests, but part of it is because my boss likes to keep costs down and because all of us put in the extra time to get things done, he takes advantage of it. Often times, to my amazement, things work well, but there are many times when I think we look foolish because things aren't done as well as they should be. I do work for a pretty successful company - the boss is definitely making a nice profit, but I think this business has so much potential if we could only convince him to hire a few people to help out. Even 1 more person would help ease the stress levels around here.

Enough of the sob story, point is, I fear the Revs staffers felt that way before and that it may be magnified now. Especially since I think many (if not all) of them really care about soccer and really want to help the Revs and MLS (and US soccer) succeed.

15. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don't tease. I don't think I can take it right now.

Just look - I have posted 3 replies to this thread. I'm losing control :D

16. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    So this was a move to consolidate staff/costs with the Patriots operation?

So how many Pats staffers lost their jobs in the consolidation?

How many Pats staffers kept their jops who were junior in job seniority with the Revs staffers that lost theirs?

Anyone think that the Pats staffers that now have to work for the Revs will have the same level of enthusiasm and loyalty to soccer as those that were let go?

Business is such a wonderful thing.
    Not!

17. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Danizinho
    Plus, I wouldn't surprised if there's one more significant announcement in the coming days/weeks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Patriots special teams coach, in charge of place kickers and punters, will be named the Revolution's new head coach to give him something to do in the spring.

18. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    RONTFL :)

OTOH the REvs have experience puttoing the ball over the horizontal post!

Adin Brown is big enough to play thight end? (Spelling?)

19. redondo10

redondo10 New Member

Apr 17, 2001
    tonights game

I wonder if anything will be mentioned on the broadcast tonight on what has gone on. I don't think they can hide it now that Smith has resigned.

Didn't Doug Chapman work for the Providence Journal while Darius was in charge of the RI Stingrays?

20. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Two points on the security issue:
    1. The patting down of the fans is more than they did at Bruins and Celtics games last season, so at least that's something. And they almost didn't let my mom in tonight because her purse was too big. So those rules for what you can and cannot bring in are fairly steadfast.

2. On the other hand, there are no metal detectors anywhere. And they're still not thoroughly searching bags going into the press entrance. No one has ever checked my cell phone or laptop to see if it is, in fact, a working cell phone or laptop. A guard said they were going to start that soon (it was standard operating procedure at the Salt Lake Olympics).

I'm not sure that Kraft's religion makes Gillette Stadium a particularly big target, but a Monday Night Football game two days before Sept. 11 does give me pause, I must admit. I hope they're extra vigilant Monday night.

21. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    Dump sunil. I have always wondered about this guy. I always got the feeling that he is the typical US Soccer person shifted over to the REVs. What a waste. Maybe it was a trade for Rongen to the US soccer from DC United. both are useless.
    cheers

22. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    I might add that todd smith is as grass roots as you can get. He has come from a whole plethera of soccer origines in the US. He has been involved with indoor and a-league and now mls.
    cheers

23. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    todd seems like a stand up guy to me...from the conversations i've had from him. however, i do have a problem with his quote in the globe about needing to get kids out to see the the highest level of the sport they are participating in, in order to keep this league's fanbase growing.

now, i don't know how much he's responsible for and not for....but when i've asked why the revs are 1 of 3 mls teams that don't offer a youth season tix discount (25-50% for the 7 teams that offer for kids 16-18 and under, sj doesn't...but has a general $9 day of game ticket, and chi doesn't...but, is in a small transitional stadium right now). i've been told point blank that "hey, its still a whole lot cheaper than red sox tix".

now, i know they give some tix away for games...but, the quote and the practice seem contradictory here. to me, this is absolutely the wrong attitude for a league that is 7 yrs old and struggling to get a fan base together. i have talked to more than a few families that sit around me at games that already don't buy tix for all their kids b/c of the price and more than a couple say they aren't renewing next year b/c of it (not b/c of winning and losing). sounds like we're letting kids slip away from us at the 'lette.