Rumor: From Denver to Oslo: Brown Headed to Vålerenga

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Mar 13, 2015.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    He'll miss it

;)

jayd8888, Totoro, Dom. FC and 2 others repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    </rimshot>
    "Everyone, tip your waiters!"

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I disagree. We weren't watching a talented group of freshmen in college and dreaming about what things will be like when they're seniors. I don't think any of them are real Nat's prospects.

jimijam28 repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He started the first half of that 2013-14 season with Wolves as they were still trying to balance their books and offload some more expensive players due to relegation. 3 goals in 23 matches, in League One, ain't good, that's for sure. But it didn't stop him from moving up a division. Doyle spent the second half of the '13-14 season with QPR, in the Championship, scoring a handful of goals in 10 appearances. He got hurt soon of his arrival, spent 2.5 months on the shelf, and returned to start and play a pivotal role in QPR's promotion playoff run to the Premier League. I don't know all the ins and outs of his relationship with Wolves. It's been hazy at best. A love-hate relationship, I presume. When he's stepped onto the pitch he's played well. No, he's not the same player he was at Reading. However, he was shown to still be quality player and could help the Rapids.

5. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right when they start building depth this happens. And goal scoring aint exactly their strength. If the D doesn't get it together, and like right away, this season could get ugly fast.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depth? We have depth at striker?

And this didn't "just" happen. The Rapids had to know Valerenga was interested at least during preseason.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    No, this "just" happened. Just like OP "just" left. Totally not the Rapids fault that this has now happened twice in two seasons. Nosiree.

jayd8888, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  8. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we can worry about depth once we put together a starting eleven that's capable of competing. if the money from this move is used to bring in a starter, i'm all for it.

i'm kinda wondering what the setup is for transfer funds for the rapids though. if we needed 500k it's not like kroenke would be unable to accommodate us, so why did we need to do this move instead? i mean, i get that they aren't just going to throw money at us, but this really doesn't seem like that big of a request.

9. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waiting to see the other shoe drop (what they do with the transfer fee). Like Quinn and others, I was frustrated by Brown ... his speed was great but his shooting sucked. After two seasons, he seemed to have plateaued ... he needs a change of coaching/scenery

jayd8888, UxSxAxfooty and Cos_Mos repped this.
  10. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said just happened? Quoting your own thoughts now are you? Uh no, we dont have depth at striker per se and less now but there have been some recent draft picks or does that not count? Team depth. Not much but starting to build. Read the whole post before you get ur panties in a bunch.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. Your quote:

Implied in there is that this affects depth, thus my comment about the non-existent striker depth. If we have no depth then losing somebody can't affect it.

As for "just happened", your phrasing suggests that this happened "right when they started building", except it didn't. It was coming for a few weeks stretching back to when they should have been building that non-existent depth at striker, in the preseason.

If you include all the MLS types of drafts there have been recent draft picks, but given the number of fans who think Eloundou and Calvert are better served spending the season in Charlotte we're really only talking about Badji who, based on the small sample size of one game this season, doesn't look to be ready to step in.

12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. But we need more than 2 shots per game.

[​IMG]

Stuart95 repped this.
  13. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I really would like to think this move was anticipated or at least at the point where the move began to take shape, the RFO was hard at work looking to back fill the slot. That's in addition to the job that should be ongoing to find the starting striker.

I would really like to think that, I really would. But the fact is I have my doubts and that's why I'm watching on TV this season.

14. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope with this sale and the new sponsorship, we get a real target forward that fits this system. Badji can be a great sub and partner as well as learn from this new player, but he's not that #9 we need to hold up play.

Wishing Brown the best of luck, glad for the service, but let's hope for a better replacement!

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the "Half Glass Full" version is that Brown's field play generated A LOT of shots. Let's see if Badji gets over 100, eh? And then there is the 10 goals, at about 10% goal-to-shot, but that's still 10. I was hoping 2015 would be his breakout. Now it may be in Norway. Sigh.

R

The Commissioner repped this.
  16. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    we aint got no speed
    we attack like we on weed
    we aint got no speed
    a super duper striker is what we neeeeeeed
    we aint got no speed. we pass the ball from left to right right to left then backwaaaaaaards

jayd8888, pdid10 and Soaker888 repped this.
  17. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter how you look at it 23.5% of all goals scored the last two years just left for Norway. That is a BIG problem as far as I'm concerned. Brown was erratic but he caused problems for defenses with his speed alone. He's a young up and comer with 2 yrs exp in MLS and would have been playing alongside a better midfield. 2 steps forward 1 step back. Hope I'm very wrong. Go Rapids!

18. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The early bye week helped us in this matter.

19. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    so this isn't a loan deal? hes gone forever :( i was hoping he would convert into a winger

20. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope sold his rights.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    #121 sidefootsitter, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    If anyone cares, Brown was rated as a 134th "best" player in Norway's top tier out of 155 total players rated by VG (a fairly reputable pub over there).

AJ Soares was 42nd, Cole Grossman tied for 52-58. Eric Hurtado didn't get into enough matches to be posted to their seasonal board but would be around Brown's spot otherwise.

At least, this is how I remember it, having already closed their page. If anyone's interested, it's at VG.no, fudball, tippeliga, borsen page. Or one can search by a club off the Tippeligaen heading.

"Borsen" are grades. "Tippeligaen" is the top/elite league. I don't know what Fudbal means. I am not fluent in Norwegian.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    By the way, Mix was rated at (memory, don't fail me now) at 5.15 in 2013 (~ top third) and 4.85 (middle) in 2014 with Rosenborg. Clarence Goodson was in the top 15 whenever he played there with Start (2010), which led him to sign a $535,000/y contract with Brondby in 2011 (the Danes also have low tax rates for the foreign imports for their first three seasons, which made it an equivalent of ~ $800,000 in the rest of Europe ... that three year tax break was a main reason why Feilhaber spent three years in Denmark as well).

At the moment, Norway is ranked as the 24th best Euro league, although they're having their best UEFA season in a long time, i.e., ever, though they had similar ones in 2005-06 and 2007-08 and this one isn't over yet.

23. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the most important thing to note is Brown is scoring at about the same rate as he did for the Rapids.