"Friendly" Waqer: MLS vs USL / MLS vs Mexican Clubs

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by gringolimon, Jul 8, 2009.

1. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Back in Mid May of 2009, I was in sort of a debate with other bigsoccer members about MLS clubs and how they stand against Mexican clubs. It didn't really get that far before they stated that MLS clubs would need to first win against the USL in order to even be considered in the conversation of how they fare against Mexican clubs. So I said, alright, why don't we stop playing this "I said, you said" game because obviously it's not going to go anywhere and just base the results on facts . . . thus, this "friendly" wager came about.

Note: Originally, I wanted it to be more than a "friendly" bet but as soon as I started to post the results, there were denial that this ever happen so I just left it as "friendly".

Here is an excerpt of the conversation . . .

As far as the debate of whether or not MLS clubs are on the same level as Mexican clubs, I decided to end the debate (at least for 2009) by doing this on-going analysis.

So without further a due, here is currently where we stand for 2009 . . .

Update:

DC United won 2-1 against USL team Harrisburg City Islanders, Houston won 4-0 against USL team Battery.

So I'm currently up 12-2-9 for the year.

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Kind of a unfair bet seeing as how MLS clubs will play more non MLS clubs this year then Mexican clubs will play MLS clubs.

3. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree but lets see what happens.

4. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    So you agree its unfair but you want to continue anyways so you can prove a lame point.

WTF was your point anyways?

5. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why don't read the whole post carefully first; you'll notice that I brought this up due to a ridiculous point other people have made: that MLS clubs need to first beat USL in order to be considered on the same page as Mexican clubs. Because this will go back and forth many times, I decided to put an end to it. Yes, it may be unfair but for those people who are saying that MLS can't compete with Mexican clubs and can't even compete with USL teams, I'm pretty sure they'll go ahead and say that MLS clubs can play over 100 games against USL and there record will still be inferior to how they fare against Mexican clubs. If you're not interested in this thread, then read it let alone post anything.

6. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    USL teams did better in a real competition than MLS teams that is what MFL fans laugh at you spazzos about. Yet the "Gap is closing" clearly we can see that by your awsome results in CCL. Yea MLS is probably better than USL on most occasions but its just funny that when it mattered most USL came out on top. So like a true Spazzo you go off an make a wager on an incredibly weak issue that truly really has no bearing because even if MLS > than USL it has nothing to do with MLS Vs MFL which is what you are truly trying to get at. Congrats for winning Spazzo of the week.

7. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    MFL is better than MLS, get over it.

8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    And it always will be.

9. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    At least for this year, we'll know for sure but that's in another thread. As for this thread, this isn't about MFL being better than MLS. This about "some" people saying that MLS needs to man up against USL teams first in order to be considered going up against MFL. Learn to read as well. This is the last time I'm going to repeat myself because it's pointless with you fools. Whatever and I mean whatever happens from now until the end of our lives, your feelings now will never change but others such as myself will be open minded to know when to be reasonable and accept results regardless of who wins out in stead of this (really, unnecessary) unreasonable approach to things. It's my fault for keeping this crap going so I'll stop replying to opinionated biased statements.

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well if this thread is about MLS vs USL sides then why are counting games against Mexican sides?

11. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    And what is it doing in the CONCACAF forum?

12. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    :confused:

13. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    LOL

What is a MLS Vs USL discussion doing in CONCACAF forums is what I meant. It seems to me that no one here would care about a discussion between USA Division 1 and Division 2 soccer.

Especially since the guy was responding to a strawman.

14. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This thread is about winning a wager that MLS will beat more non-MLS US clubs than MFL clubs beating MLS clubs in the period of one year. Because MFL is included, then the theme is outside of US forums and last time I checked, bigsoccer.com didn't have a Mexico/US forum.

However, sidspaceman does have a point: it's an unfair bet seeing as how MLS clubs will play more non MLS clubs this year then Mexican clubs will play MLS clubs. Although, due to MLS lackluster and horrible performance in the previous CCL, they only had one MLS team for the 2008/09 CCL Quarterfinals so it may come out even this time around.

Nevertheless, to make it fairer, I'll compare both leagues side by side based on their winning percentage.

MLS 6-0-4 .600

MFL 1-1-0 .500

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Didn't Tigres win 2 games against MLS sides in the Superliga and I think Santos won a game as well.

16. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: "Friendly" Wager: MLS vs USL / MLS vs Mexican Clubs

Yeah, I was updating the wager with SuperLiga results. Here it is.

MLS 6-0-4 .600

MFL 4-3-3 .400

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Didn't Tigres win 2 games against MLS sides in the Superliga and I think Santos won a game as well.

18. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep, I got that included.

After a 1-1-0 record against Houston in the Quarterfinals of the 2008/09 CCL here is the schedule of the current SuperLiga . . .

http://web.superliga2009.com/schedule/

After you add up the results (8 in total), you get the following stat so far:

MFL 4-3-3 .400

19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How are you not counting the ties for the MLS teams?

20. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They haven't tied yet against USL teams.

21. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    No, i'm not down to get in on the wagers, the MLS has already closed the gap, my statements were clearly made when their was a small gap between the MFL and the MLS. Now that the gap has been closed I shall be keeping my mouth shut.

MLS > USL >>>MFL.... All day, everyday.

22. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    But they've tied against FMF right?

Look man, let me say this politely.

Your analysis carries no significance. It seems you are trying to prove that MLS can compete with FMF, but first you want to prove that MLS>USL, because someone else said, that before comparing MLS to FMF you (MLS)needed to prove your worthiness against USL. Is that somewhere near to your proposal?

You have two separate proofs here,
    1.- MLS>USL
    2.- MLS~FMF

You want to use the data of one to prove the other, you just can't under these circumstances. I don't understand this reasoning.

/p

23. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not using one to prove the other. These 2 threads are different from one another; I just happen to post them at the same coincidentally. That is all. Again, I'm not defending the MLS nor the MFL as I've and still am a fan both due to my travels and my family and friends.

In the end, it's obvious that there is always going to be a "back and forth" between both leagues' fan about who is better and what not. I know this isn't going to change that but if a couple of members are saying that MLS clubs need to first beat USL in order to be considered on the same page as Mexican clubs, I think that's ridiculous but I'll try to put that to rest at least stat wise by showing that MLS has a better winning record against USL than MFL has against MLS clubs.

24. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks to PARS for pointing out a statiscal error in my calculation for winning percentages. I have corrected that error.

Updated:

MLS 6-0-4 .600

MFL 4-3-3 .550

25. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    You do realize that most Mexican posters probably understand that MLS is better than USL, and are just getting a kick out of the fact that MLS the league that is "closing the gap" totally bombed at the CCL. Honestly do you think that El Salvador is a better than Mexico? does it stop you or other spazzos from saying shit like "maybe Mexico should worry about beating El Salvador..."

BTW are you using W-L-T or W-T-L?