Friendly versus the Netherlands

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SideshowBob, Sep 25, 2009.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i thought the dutch didn't want to play the usa any more due to our "negative" kill thebgame style...

this is a great match...however, if usa and the dutch end up in the same group, wonder if it gets played

3. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not "they", Dick Advocaat didn't.

5. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the USMNT kicked Dick Advocaat's ass the last time we played him.

Mostly because it was 11 v. 1 and he got tired in the second half, though.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Great news!

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Good news, they're nearly the perfect choice for this friendly.

8. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Maybe. But if players like Kuyt are involved in a tight EPL race, I would expect to see a second tier squad in a game played in March. That's always the drawback to these FIFA dates that, in essence, have little to no meaning.
    It's always a good thing, though, to play a team that is going to probably be better than you are, and even a second tier Dutch side would be a real test for this US side.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't be.

10. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if it is, we could finally cap Dema Kovalenko.

11. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I'll call Dema right now and give him the news.

12. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where did you get that from?

please include details in your response (I hate playing msg board tag hehe)

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dickie Avocaat was very annoyed at the US gameplane back in our last friendly over there. we only let robben torch us once and were audacious enough to play Frankie Heydude and Eddie Lewis, neither of which were playing for their clubs - which he took as negative football.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    no, he was annoyed that we played a very cautious, rational game. Why would we play run and gun with the Dutch, especially on Dutch soil!

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That was the beginning of the end of John O' Brien. He was supposed to be the star of the match, the Ajax American playing on his homefield against the Dutch (he had been playing really well at the time) and was a late scratch, due to injury.

It was a very defensive, cautious gameplan by Il Bruce that day. Very boring match.

That was also the unveiling of the Nike Full 90 line of billard ball uniforms.

16. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually the last time the Dutch played the Us in Foxboro(on the lead up to the World Cup 2002), mass it was brilliantly planned by Arena. He evaulated our World Cup opponents and thought that the Dutch were the closest to the Portuguese and they were. We played a great counterattack style with flair that day. We lost 2-0 to the Dutch but we looked great and what happened, we beat portugal. Arena had a plan, right now we have none.

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Revisionist history. the Dutch took the USA to the cleaners that day and looked a class apart doing so. Forget the Portugal game....(Portugal just thought they had to show up to win) ....or at least mention that the USA got hammered by Poland a few days later....

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike, check your memory bank.
    If david Regis doesn't melt down on national TV,it's a 1-0 or 0-0 draw.

"Class apart"?Well,yes,perhaps collectively-and that's not even news.But Reyna went toe to toe with Davids for 90.

19. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russ is correct. Regis played like Jonathan Bornstein and got burned twice in a big way. I also seem to remember Regis playing up to far and getting torched against Italy. Otherwise, we would have drawn Italy as well. I also remember that because of that game, Regis did not play a single minute in the 2002 World Cup.

But I disagree about the Dutch sending a B-Squad. Sure, if there is a tight battle in the Premiereship, Kuyt may elect to stay with his club. But during a World Cup year, teams tend to play strong lineups, even in friendlies. The rationale is that there isn't many friendlies to tune up the team before the World Cup, the LAST thing you want to do is sign off on tune-up games and possibly lose your spot at the World Cup. Kuyt may stay but I am sure the Dutch will feature a powerful squad full of guys eager to stamp their names on the final 23. They are not going to play like it's a friendly, kinda like Italy, Germany, and Ireland back in 2002.

20. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I wasn't just talking about Kuyt. WC or not, if any first team player has a minor knock, they won't play, and it's always interesting when a friendly is about to be played how many of them competing in a top flight somewhere, do. I doubt that a single game will hurt the Netherlands chances of being about a 5 or 6 -1 favorite to reach the semis.

21. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Just because you don't agree with the current trajectory, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

22. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    What about me?, disagreeing with that trajectory, that is.:D

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe we may have a disagreement on the direction and degree of the trajectory. :)

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Exactly - and truth be told, losing 1-0 to the Dutch with a slightly experimental side (Convey in front of Reyna and Armas, playing "inside right" a pure leftwinger - a similar "unbalance" 4-4-2 that Avocaat employed at Gers with Reyna) in Holland was no great shame. Also, the Dutch lined up a pretty a-list squad - this was Jonny Heitigna's debut. The line up was Van der Sar; Heitinga, Stam, Cocu (72. Zenden), Bouma (80. F. de Boer); Sneijder (46. Van Bommel), Van der Vaart, Davids (46. Seedorf); Van der Meyde (46. Makaay), Van Nistelrooy (80. Van Hooijdonk), Robben. Van Nistlerooy should have been red-carded for his cheap-arse hand-of-god, not to mention his cheap-arse take-down (and out) of Reyna were really bull. That said, Heydude was not up to matching Robben, but Gibbs did a great job in the back. But the Dutch were not as good as they could have been - and neither was the US. And that Dutch side was, man for man, better than the US side.

25. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob just wants to teach the boys how to tie 0-0 away to better sides. I have a feeling it's going to be a really really bad game to watch...(from an American perspective of course)