Friendly Matches

Discussion in 'Player' started by htafc, Jul 30, 2009.

1. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    Well this evening I've got my first pre-season friendly (with the season starting in September).

I'm just wondering how everyone approaches non-competitive matches.

Would you ever admit to not giving 100%?
    I know i will be trying as hard as ever but i know others may not.

And would you be more likely to back out of a tackle?

Bearing in the mind these sort of matches are often primarily to improve fitness, you would not want to risk injury.

Thanks

2. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Dont go for questionable tackles...or balls that you aren't 100% on.

Just play a solid game..

3. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    In a friendly you avoid fouls, meaning you don't make careless tackles and avoid contact on the 50/50 aka "hospital" balls. (I only mention "careless" because reckless or worse tackles don't belong in any game.) For a forward that means if you and the keeper are going for a 50/50 ball, let the keeper have it. He can't back down and the risk of an injury to anyone is not worth a meaningless goal. No misconduct meaning no dissent, no professional fouls, no holding, no diving, no delaying restarts. Regardless of how you stand ethically on cheating during matches, much better to practice how you must play if already cautioned.

4. Trent899

Trent899 New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I would approach it as a cup final :). Basically what you want to do is perform at your best, and show your coach that you have worth in the club. Fight for your team, hustle, and don't give up on a ball because it appears that it is going out of bounds. What you definitely don't want to do though is get injured. Use your judgement. If a play appears dangerous than it probably is. And stay away from diving headers, or 50/50 balls. Keep this in mind and you should do just fine.

5. kasaki

kasaki Member

Feb 22, 2009
    U.S.A
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In our friendlies I try things out lol tricks, solid passing, and I try to be as creative as possible it helps, and yeah dont foul or go hard, although I let me ego take over me and since am little I mark the biggest guy on purpose lol

6. henrysboots

henrysboots New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It depends. I normally have a relaxed attitude, but not sloppy. Meaning I still concentrate 100%. I may try stuff that I wouldnt try in a proper game. But it also depends if we are trying a new formation or Im playing in a new position, then i get my head screwed on :)

7. Soccer Mastermind

Soccer Mastermind New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Melbourne
    If you're serious about your soccer career there is no such thing as a friendly match. Every match should be used to improve your game and fitness.

A while back I started playing indoor soccer to maintain my fitness during the off season. Worst mistake I could have made. The tempo and intensity of indoor is friendly and you play to suit this environment just like a friendly match. The problem is you pick up bad habits. Pulling out of tackles, not chasing your opponent and the list can go on.

Treat friendlies like real matches otherwise you will pick up bad habits that are hard to break. If you start pulling out off 50-50 balls or tackles, the chances of you getting injured increase significantly from my experience.

Common sense and high intensity are the best way to tackle friendly matches while trying to beat your opponent. If you can call this friendly :)

8. davidmckillen

davidmckillen New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I agree with Habitat - easy on sliding tackles, don't risk 50/50 balls if you think that there's a possibility of a collision - it's not worth it.