Friedel top five Keeper

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ncguy, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    48 claudio reyna Manchester City 1.49
    52 brad friedel Blackburn Rovers 1.46
    82 brian mcbride Fulham 1.24

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And, if you flip over the Actim Championship ratings:
    Marcus is the number 2 keeper, 9th highest rated player overall.
    Convey is rated 22nd overall.
    Lewis is 42.
    Simek is 59.
    That's pretty decent representation, I'd think.

Also, why don't we care about Brad? This is yanks abroad, not teh USMNT board.

4. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    I don't think that people don't care or hate him, it's just when his USMNT playing days ended so did alot of the interest in him.

5. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    So all we care about in Yanks Abroad, is the utiltiy that player serves to the NT??

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, if you care start threads, but yeah, I'm a lot less interested in Friedel now

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The trick is to care about whatever it is you want to care about.

8. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I agree. Of course, Friedel is fair game for discussion here. But, like uniteo, I'm a lot less interested in him now. While of course I really appreciate everything he's done for the national team and I realize how demanding the rigors of playing for a premiership team can be, the fact that he bailed out on us while he still has several good years left leaves a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth. :cool:

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I don't look at it as him bailing on us... just stepping aside.
    There isn't really room for both he and Keller right now on the national team.
    If they are both there and you play Friedel then Keller is going to be pissed.
    If you play Keller instead, then Friedel would be pissed.
    They are both top keepers and you can't play but one.
    If Keller were to go down, I'm sure Brad would unretire.
    I looked at his stepping down as more a good thing than a negative...

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. Friedel or Keller -- it's 6 or one-half dozen. They are both rocking and rolling at this point in their careers, and I'm happy Brad graciously stepped aside to make sure Kasey got the chance to have better WC memories than '98.

11. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    This is a life goal that is amazingly difficult to keep in focus.

12. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    A bitter taste??? Good grief. :rolleyes:

13. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Bailing out"???

Bailing out isn't being upfront & honest 4 years before the next world cup. Bailing out would be retiring a month before the world cup.

Whatever his motivations, at least we have known for nearly 4 years that we'd need someone other than Brad in the nets.

Lee

14. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Well, maybe "bailing out" wasn't the right language for me to use. Ultimately, though, whenever a U.S. player decides to retire from the USMNT at a time when he is still a world class, or close to world class player, I resent the decision a bit. I'd feel the same way if Reyna had decided to retire from international play following the '02 WC or if Donovan decides to retire from international play after leading the U.S. to the semifinals of the '06 WC.

I agree with Wahoo, though, that as long as Keller stays healthy and in form, Friedel's retirement isn't really a problem. (And, if anything, not having the two of them competing for the starting spot will improve our team chemistry).

15. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I'm just as interested as before. Obviously in April I won't be focusing on Brad's form as much as Keller or (if he plays more than 1 game) Howard or others who will be in Germany (because the WC will be on the doorstep), but I'm equally interested in all YA's progress, regardless of whether they have or will ever put on an NT jersey.

Honestly, the other part of it is that Friedel has become so automatic that it's kind of boring. Kind of like JOB (dnp)...

16. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel is like an Eddie Lewis. He's always solid and never misses time due to injury so people aren't as interested.

17. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    karma rep

18. propelahed

propelahed Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Washington DC
    I could care less.

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of interesting points...

Hahnemann seems likely to move into the Premiereship next season -- either through promotion or by being sold to a bigger club. It would be nice to always have at least one Yank starting keeper in the Premiereship at all times -- if not more. :p

Second, although highly unlikely, I can see a scenario where Friedel decides to come back to the US team early next year and fight for a World Cup spot. OK, OK, it's almost certain not to happen, but wouldn't it be rather interesting if it did? Friedel is having yet another strong season in the Premiereship. KK would flip out if it happened.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Marcus has probably had a similar rank in the actim stuff (and in general reputation) for each of his three years with Reading _ one of the best outside the Prem. He's happy at Reading. He's well paid. He's the starter and he's a local hero. he's renegotiating right now (is it done? haven't checked) and talks about wanting to finish out his career in Reading.
    Between a couple separate threads on here right now, Reading has been stripped down to the water boy by the end of January.
    the actim, IMO, very accurately reflects his standing in the CCC.
    I hope he is in the Prem next year, but it's only likely to happen if Reading go up.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Bruce Arena should be fired if he allows that to happen.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gee, then we'd have no manager and a GK controversy. ;)
    The only really likely scenario I can see is Keller suffering an injury that he wouldn't (or might not) have time to recover from by mid May/June (not enough time to get back in form). I can't imagine BF getting back in the picture otherwise, after a long layoff, with keller playing every bit as well for club and having done the Q work for country.

23. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
  24. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If Keller went down with an injury I'd still be torn. Yes, Friedel is a very good keeper that is experienced on the big stage. But...I think a a manager needs to dance with who brought him. The only exceptions I can think of are for injuries (even then, look in the pool first) or young guys replacing old guys (ie Spector for Pope). Tinkering with chemistry just before a WC can be very dangerous, as 98 showed.