Friedel on SkySports News 11/10

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FC Tallavana, Nov 10, 2004.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Did anyone else see Friedel tonight on SkySports? He said that he felt Blackburn were on the verge of turning things around and that they should be mid-table before too long because they have better talent than the other clubs at the bottom. :D

Didn't he just say a week or so ago that Blackburn suck because they sold all their talent last year? :confused:

Anyway, while watching the interview, it became pretty clear that Friedel is manager material after he retires. Anyone else get that vibe from him?

Oh, and his accent seems to have peeked, as it wasn't any worse than the last time I heard it. :)

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got in a bit of a dig at Souness,as well.Souness is a key factor in Friedel's career in Europe,and I'm a little surprised that he went public like that.I really can't believe Mark Hughes is that much more modern a manager than Souness.

And since when is drawing Norwich a positive?You've gotta be wayyyyy down for that to look like up.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was on the road, and Blackburn were (and still are, I think) 20th, so yeah, that was progress.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True dave,just saying it's been a hard fall from two years ago.

Brad also felt there was enough talent on the squad to pull themselves up without getting January signings-which not only flies in the face of conventional wisdom,it gives conventional wisdom a turban wedgie.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They blew it last year when they didn't make a run at Boca. They really oughta make a run at Ryan Nelsen. Not only does he play the position that's killing them, the sense I get is that Rovers need an infusion of character.

6. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I would have to agree that if they were to chose a MLS player to aid them, Nelson would be a good solution.

7. Riverdale Goalie

Riverdale Goalie New Member

May 12, 2001
    Bowie MD

Not as much of a fall as you would think, as even the year Blackburn finished sixth they performed rather poorly against the bottom clubs but made up for it with a very impressive record against the top clubs. These days they just perform poorly period.

8. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    They have the talent to be 14th maybe 12th.They have good young players but, they still have major problems in defense and have the worst defense by far in the Premiership.They are improving almost every match but, Freidel maybe wrong about mid table soon.They have a good enough team to get out of relegation. They are better than Southampton,Norwich,Palace,West Brom,Birmingham,maybe even Tottenham. They should be about 14th or so.

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Just saw the interview. I've heard Brad speak on ESPN before and his accent was always very american. His accent now is getting British! Now I know being around people with a certain accent will eventually rub off, but I still think it's funny. Nothing wrong with it.

On what he said about middle table, I have to disagree. They have been fortunate that none of the promoted teams have many wins or they would be in dire straits already. I've only caught five of their games, but in the one's I've seen Brad saw an endless stream of shots.

For Friedel's sake, they better do something when the January trade window opens.

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Take Clint Mathis off Hannover -- for entertainment value, if nothing else!

11. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle

What was the dig at Souness?

That guy saved Brad's foreign career--more than once--so I can't imagine Brad would turn on him.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Nelsen, could he get a work permit? New Zealand are out of the top 75 in world rankings.

13. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I think he would be eligible due to NZ being considered a commonwealth of the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

sold talent = Damien Duff

15. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Sorry, you are wrong.

16. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    thank you kindly.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd likely get it on appeal.

18. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    How much money does Blackburn have? They were trying to get John Hartson so they must have some money. Ryan Nelsen may not be the answer to Blackburns problems in defense. Hes a good player but, hes the player that could go to a club just to be a sub or just to help out. Blackburn need a defender thats gonna change the defense thats really gonna cut down how many goals they allow.

19. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Or if a grandparent of his was born in the UK.

20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    With the way Blackburn's defence has been playing Orlando Perez could help them cut down on the number of goals they allow.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another striker?!?!?!?!?!

Damn, they've got to make a plan and stick with it. They go through strikers like the late 70s era Yankees went through managers, or the mid-80s Yankees went through players.

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.