Friedel Interview on USsoccer.com

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JcUSA, Sep 15, 2006.

1. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel so vindicated: I always knew Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink had one of the hardest shots I'd ever seen.

What a great, simple question.

3. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted the article because of his opinion about how the US played in the WC and his view on the next coach. Both answers I felt were dead on.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant.

5. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite part of the article:

8) Play MLS Commissioner for a day. What do you change?
    BF: The whole league format. I would make it one table from top to bottom. I would implement the same competitions that they have around the world. You have the Lamar Hunt Open Cup which includes all teams in the United States. Then I'd have the League Cup that you have at the end of the season, call it what you want. But the actual, true league champion is the one with the most points at the end of the year. I think it's ridiculous in all American sports that if you go through the regular season in first place, then lose in the first round of the playoffs you're not deemed the champion. In MLS the season is eight months; over here, the season is ten months long. At the end of ten months, the person on top of the tree should be the champion. If you can win a cup competition, that's great. But the league championship should be the foremost priority. In MLS, all you have to do is just get into the playoffs. From there, if you have a good run you are considered the champion, and I don't agree with that.

6. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

But you missed the rest of the interview:

FRIEDEL: I would make it one table from top to bottom.
    INTERVIEWER: But since only two or three teams would be competing for the championship, wouldn’t that make for a lot of boring games?
    FRIEDEL: Well, the teams would have to worry about relegation and getting into European… I mean Central American… competition.
    INTERVIEWER: But relegation isn’t feasible in MLS and hardly anyone cares about the other competitions.
    FRIEDEL: Umm…ahhh…hey, don’t I have a funny accent!

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    But Hahnemann did "ever so well"?

That's not just the accent, it's the phrase. Hasn't been used on this side of the Atlantic since Scarlett O'Hara.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At the end of the day, we'll call the badger a bishop, caught bang to rights, Bob's your uncle, take the piss, take French leave, and it will all be handbags.

Cheers.

9. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Brad Friedel is a demi-god who happens to walk among mere men. Keller who? Give me someone who's actually won a World Cup match.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    word to your mum.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that Friedel's last game with the USMNT was a victory for us, and notable for being Bruce's first victory in Europe:

3/31/2004
    vs. Poland (1-0 W)
    at Plock, Poland

12. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean this part?

FRIEDEL: I would make it one table from top to bottom.
    INTERVIEWER: But since only two or three teams would be competing for the championship, wouldn’t that make for a lot of boring games?
    FRIEDEL: Boring? Have you tried to watch a full season of MLS lately? Talk about boring.
    INTERVIEWER: Umm…ahhh…hey, you sure have a funny accent!