Friday 17 Apr 2020

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Apr 17, 2020.

1. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Well, damn then. I guess this coronavirus IS more powerful than the flu.

Baysider repped this.
  2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 CeltTexan, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    As a huge college gridiron fan, and a March Madness junkie as well, well stated amigo.

Does anyone recall years back when BYU came up with the idea of taking their club soccer team, men's this is, and set them up in the old USL set up. SO basically your school has a team, but completely separate from NCAA rules and regulations. I.e you have no past pro limitations and your team will play under FIFA rules and still it is your colors and name on display for any students and fans to rally around. If drastic cuts are on the way, just have many schools tell their AD's "no worries" we will just take our team to the USL. Play in the Open Cup eventually?!? The loss in men's soccer scholarship money is true, but should not be the backbreaker for the players that play in college like it would be for gridiron and hoops players who the majority have no way of paying for big time college tuition, much less play a sport and pay up at the same time having no job. You play on the club team and you can play, work and turn pro or move pros in and out as the coach wants.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wad a bit different for us (BYU Class of 82), because we were a club team at the time, not NCAA. The PDL franchise cost $50K, gping NCAA with scholarships would have cost over $1 million a year.

I think we qualified for the Open Cup once and the PDL playoffs at least once.

Edit: the move to PDL came well after my career in Provo was done.

CeltTexan repped this.