Freedom v Courage Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by M9fanatic, Jul 31, 2002.

1. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I went ahead and started a new thread. The PBP thread got too long.

Well what can I say except...............

MIA!!!

Geez it really does turn into something else when she steps on the field.

I know the haters are gonna be comming out of the wood work because of the Mia love fest that was going on in the booth.

But you know what? IMO every thing that they were gushing about was spot on. It seemed like every time they said something about her and her game she proved them right.

"Don't give her too much space or she'll make you pay"--- She did that.

"If she can't score she'll find someone who can"--- She did that too.

"She is an increadible pressence out there. Unlike any other."--- you can say that again buster! :D

Happy doesn't even begin to describe my mood right now!

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    But listen folks it wasn't just the Mia show.

WAR Bai Jie!!! A very deserved POTM for her. She has been playing so well lately it's good to see her tear it up. And did you see that ear to ear grin on her face when she was on the bench? Good for her.

Abby was great. She did some real good work on that assist. And even if that goal was a fluke, it was still pretty.

Moore did well with Prinze. Not as well as with the others but I have to think that Prinze's size was a factor.

Grubb was solid. Sky had a great block.

And excuse me, but I do belive Gerardo has been working on a little something in training. She pulled out the Pasa De Vaca TWICE!!!! No turnovers that I can remember.

Cookie :( I hope it's not too bad. It's a real tribute to the depth and commitment of this team when we can lose players but not loose games.
    Get well soon Cookie we need you!

SIRI!!!! Awsome baby!!!

3. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    Congrats DC!

Woohoo further derailing of the courageless!

4. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I can't even begin to gush about this match. Mia rules! Abby rules! Bai Jei rules! I think tonight's match moves Abby into 2nd place for points (at the moment, because Philly and SJ are playing). Mia's blast from 20 was so lovely. Abby's cross from even farther, for a goal, was just funny, :D.

I think my favorite commentator line from this match was when Mia was faking the socks off her defender and the guy in the booth said, "Ole!"

Seriously...I haven't enjoyed myself that much during a match in quite some time. I can't wait for it to repeat so I can watch it again!!

5. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    What happened to Cook?? How did Skate play??

6. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Cookie hurt her knee, not sure how badly. She went down holding it, and had to be helped off the field. Right knee, if I'm remembering it right.

Skate played very well. I was impressed.

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I guess Bai has quieted me down for a bit!! Hey I will call her average every game if she will put two in the back of the net!! Stupid me did not know that Dish network had it on an alternate channel live. Now, I am not sure if I will watch.

8. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Damnit I couldn't watch this game in California. Are they ever going to broadcast it on the West Coast??

9. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can i just say it?!!!

ABBBBBBBYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

10. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Damn, I didn't want to know the score cuz I just got home from work and wanted to watch it now, but have the PHL/SJ game on and damn if they didn't show the score in the first few minutes. grrrrrrrrrrr... well, my annoyance turned quickly to joy when they said Mia scored two and Bai scored two and I assumed Abby or someone must have scored the other!

I don't care: I LOVE MIA!!!!!

I don't give a crap about her detractors saying she ain't got it anymore, she ain't what she used to be - she has it and then some!!

And Bai - I LOVE BAI!!! She's another with a phenomenal work rate. The didn't call her the little assassin for nuthin'!

ok, I'm back to the games. Just had to chime in with my expression of glee.

WAR FREEDOM!!!!! (Now go get us a home field playoff spot!!!)

:D
    Norma

11. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can i get a tape of this my game source broke tonight?

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Did anyone else think those two announcers were terrible to listen to?

13. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Damn! Comcast is NOT rebroadcasting like the schedule says! They've got some sports show on instead.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(
    Norma

14. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Nevermind! It just started - a half an hour late, but that's ok!

Norma

15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WUSA Press Release

WASHINGTON FREEDOM 5, CAROLINA COURAGE 2
    July 31, 2002 - SAS Stadium

CARY, NC - Mia Hamm had two goals and an assist and Abby Wambach registered a goal and three assists as the Washington Freedom scored four second-half goals to defeat the Carolina Courage 5-2 Wednesday evening in front of an overflow crowd of 7,214 at SAS Stadium. With the victory, Washington (9-5-5, 32 pts.) moves within one point of second place Carolina (10-5-3, 33 pts.). Carolina suffered its third consecutive defeat following a 10-2-3 start.

Tonight's match did little to clear up the playoff race, as neither team has clinched a playoff berth. A victory would have clinched a postseason spot for Carolina, but the Courage will have to try again on Saturday, August 3 when the club hosts San Jose. With a little help from San Jose, Washington can clinch a playoff berth on Sunday, August 4 when the Freedom hosts Atlanta.

Wambach put Washington on the scoreboard first when she cracked a shot from the left corner of the penalty area that hit the underside of the crossbar and went into the goal past Carolina goalkeeper Kristin Luckenbill in the 23rd minute. It was Wambach's 10th goal of the season, making her the only rookie to score in double figures in the WUSA two-year history.

Three minutes later, Danielle Fotopoulos' header from close range evened the score at 1-1. Carolina then went up 2-1 just before halftime when Birgit Prinz chipped Washington goalkeeper Siri Mullinix for her ninth goal of the season. Venus James' through ball found Prinz, and the German striker headed it forward before cleverly chipping an onrushing Mullinix from 13 yards.

Washington forward Mia Hamm entered the match following halftime, and the world's all-time leading scorer was the difference in the second half. With Hamm inserted into the match, the trio of Wambach, Hamm and Bai Jie kept Carolina's defense off balance.

It was Chinese midfielder Bai who evened the score in the 53rd minute with her blast from 12 yards. She received the ball in space and ripped a screamer that swerved around Luckenbill into the top right corner of the goal.

Hamm scored the first of her two goals when she ran onto a Wambach cross at the left post and beat Luckenbill near post from close range in the 56th minute. Bai Jie scored her second goal of the evening when she put Washington 4-2 in the 60th minute. Hamm closed out the scoring in the 80th minute when she blasted a 25-yard shot past a helpless Luckenbill.

Despite losing, Carolina outshot Washington 23-12 in a match that featured end-to-end action. The five goals set a club record for Washington.

1 2 F
    Washington Freedom 1 4 5
    Carolina Courage 2 0 2

SCORING SUMMARY:
    WAS -- Abby Wambach 10 (Pu Wei 7) 23rd minute
    CAR -- Danielle Fotopoulos 9 (Birgit Prinz 6, Staci Burt 4,) 26
    CAR -- Birgit Prinz 9 (Venus James 2) 45
    WAS -- Bai Jie 3 (Abby Wambach 6, Sarah Kate Noftsinger 1) 53
    WAS -- Mia Hamm 5 (Abby Wambach 7) 56
    WAS -- Bai Jie 4 (Mia Hamm 3) 60
    WAS -- Mia Hamm 6 (Abby Wambach 8) 80

WASHINGTON FREEDOM -- Siri Mullinix, Skylar Little, Jennifer Grubb, Steffi Jones, Carrie Moore, Emmy Barr, Ann Cook (Sarah Kate Noftsinger 16), Monica Gerardo (Mia Hamm 46), Pu Wei (Casey Zimny 73), Bai Jie (Jacqui Little 61), Abby Wambach.
    TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Bai Jie 4, Mia Hamm 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 9 (Mia Hamm 4); FOULS: 14 (Abby Wambach 5); OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 2 (Pu Wei 2); SAVES: 8 (Siri Mullinix 8); CAUTIONS: (Monica Gerardo 42) EJECTIONS: none.

CAROLINA COURAGE -- Kristin Luckenbill, Danielle Slaton (Staci Wilson 75), Erin Baxter, Nel Fettig, Staci Burt, Unni Lehn (Kim Yankowski 81), Venus James (Meghan Anderson 62), Hege Riise (Katie Barnes 84), Brooke O'Hanley, Danielle Fotopoulos, Birgit Prinz.
    TOTAL SHOTS: 23 (Danielle Fotopoulos 8); SHOTS ON GOAL: 12 (Danielle Fotopoulos 5); FOULS: 8 (Danielle Fotopoulos 4); OFFSIDE: 1 (Meghan Anderson 1); CORNER KICKS: 10 (Hege Riise 6); SAVES: 4 (Kristin Luckenbill 4); CAUTIONS: (Erin Baxter 71) EJECTIONS: none.

Referee: Todd Perry; Referee's Assistants: Abbas Piran; Dongho Kim
    4th Official: Daniel Burak
    Attendance: 7,214
    Weather: Partly Cloudy and 89 degrees

16. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    AMEN!

:D :D

17. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Let's see if I remember from the pre-game thread correctly: We're going to lose our last three games because we have no offense because Wambach plays 90 minutes, and Bai Jie doesn't put the effort out and can't score goals...

What a golden half! After Freedom's attack looked shoddy in the first half (and Abby's goal was a total fluke) and didn't look like they could contain the twin towers, I never saw the blitzkreig coming. We used to never score three in a match, now we score three in seven minutes! I think it was having Abby, Mia, and Jie all on the pitch at the same time. They bring such different strengths to the pitch that they complimement each other perfectly.

Anyone surprised to see Abby out on the wing so often? That was sure a new look...

According to the Carolina announcers, we have a new player on the team - Monaco Gerardo :rolleyes:

Summers did indeed show it live, about two dozen people showed for the match, including Makinen and Beard. A few of us stuck around for the San Jose-Philly match as well.

25 points in 12 matches. I hope it doesn't end...

18. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    No baby, they're gonna get us a HOME playoff spot!

And as you said, Mia, Abby and Bai each bring something unique to the game so that when the 3 are together, watch out! They're our own version of the triple edged sword.

Norma

19. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Slightly out of context there. The statement from me was Bai does not score goals. She did last night. Doubled her season total. She should keep it up.

20. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
  21. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC
    It was a great game to be at. I love being a Freedom fan in Carolina and shutting up all of my friends. :cool:

The Freedom players had quite a bit of support there from family and the front office staff. Armed with Freedom bangers, t-shirts, and loud, loud voices. Luckily, I was sitting somewhat near them and didn't stick out too much.

From my vantage point, Moore did a great job containing Prinz, even though she did score.

I was surprised to see Hege take quite a few of the corner kicks ... I guess for Prinz to help Fotop challenge our taller players. And speaking of corners -- Pu Wei's first corner of the game was absolutely beautiful although Lucky snagged it off the head of Bai Jie.

I was sitting right on the end line for Abby's goal and it was beautiful. She was right in front of me and when she struck the ball, I thought it was just a cross until I saw it in the back of the net. That was sweet.

I missed Cook's injury -- I was near the opposite goal on the same side it happened. What did happen? All I saw was the Freedom bench clearing and heard the ref's whistle blow. I did see her on the field after the game on crutches. Hope she'll be alright.

Bai was great last night -- on the groud as much as usual, but her two goals were sweet and couldn't have come at better times.

Grubb also did a great job on defense. She came up with some great tackles and saved us a few times. Was it Skylar that cleared the ball off the goal line in the second half? I was even with the play, so couldn't tell.

How did Moe get her yellow? Dissention? I only saw the yellow come out.

After the game, Carolina looked really deflated -- their confidence was shot last night. Some even looked visibly worried about their situation.

All in all, great effort and win by the Freedom. I was a very, VERY happy Freedom fan living in Carolina last night.

22. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    MIIIIIAAAAAAAA!!!!!! She's freakin' awesome.

Hamm's productivity
    Mia: 15 pts in 416 minutes played
    Katia: 33 pts in 1577 minutes played
    Abby: 28 pts in 1509 minutes played
    Pichon: 27 pts in 1182 minutes played
    Millie: 27 pts in 1335 minutes played

23. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Steffi was great too. She took a page out of the Carrie Moore hand book and was al over Hege. She was very effective, she took the "Riise factor" out of the game.

24. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is there a chance i can get a copy of this game?

25. Alana

Alana New Member

Did the players at Summer's have any comments during the game on their teammates and such? Does anyone know if Tracey Milburn made the trip? She shouldn't have if Beard was home. I hope Makinen gets better soon, with Cook down now we're going to need her back!