Freedom and FCGP folding

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Druid Squirrel, Oct 31, 2010.

1. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Morris I would love to see you support that statement--You are comparing the MLS and WPS numbers...ESPN vs FOX --also MLS teams Have pay only packages......I don't think you are correct.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think the tv ratings comparison is for both leagues' games shown on FSC. I'm not sure about higher ratings but I've read several articles that state WPS FSC ratings were at least equal to MLS ratings. Neither are pulling in 1mil viewers but iirc it's about 50k. I haven't had my caffeine yet so my #s could be off.

eta: I want to say, yet again, that I think the FSC deal was a very important one for the league. And they're on the Neilson now so there are periodic reports about ratings for various leagues. Their EPL stuff gets the largest viewership, of course...

3. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
  4. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If no one else in the world can afford her, she's not worth $400k.

5. sjsocrfan

sjsocrfan New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, apparently Orange County and Abner Rogers might still be in the mix for a team in 2011??

6. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

I LOVE seeing about two dozen investors. This is where teams need to do better, have more than one investor so you can have some sort of stability instead of scrambling around to find one at the last minute. This Orange County team seems very possible.

7. sjsocrfan

sjsocrfan New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree . . . that way, if one or two two or a few of the investors hit a period where they are struggling financially, or even where they just don't want to invest any longer, replacing them is not a monumental task. Trying to find an investor willing to put up $50-$100K is A LOT easier than trying to find one willing to put up $1-$2million.

8. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Well, unfortunately women's sports is unique in that a player can be good enough that she SHOULD make that much $$, yet no team can afford her.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That doesn't make any sense. Then should "shouldn't" make that much money. If a player's salary bankrupts whatever team he/she plays on, then they're value is overstated.

Basically, the WPS operates on a similar level as D2 men's teams in the U.S. Roughly similar budgets and expenses.

A men's player in D2 that makes as much as $80k is a rare thing indeed.

Hell, most NFL and MLB players in my home town when I grew up in the 70s had second jobs in the off-season selling insurance, running restaurants, and so on. Even in inflation adjusted dollars, only a few could've possibly been making that kind of money.

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

sorry but nesmith said they, amway and puma, paid only a fraction of marta's salary. amway paid standard money for jersey sponsorship. marta had some side bonus stuff with them. basically one of the other 7 teams left would have to eat marta's salary. if puma and amway were covering marta's salary to 500k every team in the league could be after her. based on that model...they would just have to pay for a house rental, cell phn and suv lease which is peanuts. i'd say it cost a team 300k out of pocket for marta

salary 225k
    fur house rental 20-25k
    suv rental 8k
    phn 1.5k
    bonuses 25-50k

remember this is for 6-7mths. then she is off to santos who pays her 150k for 3 mths work.

this is why santos should be in the league if they want to be a member of the wps. if they want to field their brasilian squad with 5 internationals...just reverse the rules for them. it's in the leagues best interest...and santos' brasilan following would be incredible with marta on an already loaded roster.

11. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Tell you what..If the Owners of Santos want they can buy a Franchise in California and got to it.

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    nope...let them pay their franchise fees, etc and bring their complete squad like they want.

13. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DAMN..I had no idea. None of this is reported in the press.

14. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is her original contract with the SOL... AEG was the owner.. I have no news about her contract with GP, Jen Striker stopped covering WPS into the first year

15. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a racing fan. We see this all the time. Drivers say they'll race but only if they get paid x. Racing's in a recession so if the driver sticks to his price he'll see out the year not racing at all unless he's willing to drop his asking price. A guy a couple weeks ago got let go by his owner when he was getting paid $3 million a year because he can't afford to pay him that. He's a great driver, but if he wants to race next year, he's going to have to take a lot less than $3 million because no one else on the grid can pay anywhere near $3 million. If he's not willing to come down on his price, he won't race, because no one can afford him.

"SHOULD" has absolutely zero to deal with anything and is an entirely irrelevant word when it comes to what a person actually gets paid. A player's worth is based on revenue coming in. If the revenue's not coming in as expected, than he (you honestly don't think this happens in men's sports all across the planet?) or she should see their worth decrease to keep in line with revenues. You're confusing a cause with a business.

16. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    I missed this whole Santo's thing??? Where can I read about them wanting to bring a team into the WPS...

17. FCGoldPrideGM

FCGoldPrideGM New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Sorry to bum you all out, but the terms listed by Jen were not correct for LA Sol or for FCGP. Way, way off. Creative, but the contract was not that complex. I can't tell you the actual details, but let's just say that was pretty fun to read. Equity stake in the league was a nice touch.

18. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Haha

I love it--Another fact buster..People talk and they think it is fact just because they say it or get it from another bad source...Thanks GM for clearing that up..

19. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccerbs - Jen Striker is a reliable source... no one came out to deny it when this first was posted before the WPS kicked off. Jen Striker had one of the most active blogs at the time on women's soccer

At the time her agent was asking for rediculous money (That was confirmed in several articles and her previous team was not going to match)

I cannot ask my source for confirmation because I know they cannot not comment on it.

I will take what FCGoldPrideGM stated... however she still makes more than any player in WPS or she would not be playing here...

20. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Dad not bashing you. I think many just hope on the net now and trust others way too much.

21. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

DAMN YOU FACT BUSTERS!!!! :mad:
    :D

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. I like people like Jen Striker and Jeff Kassouf who find out the inside scoop. The scoop that owners, GM's, etc. don't want to reveal in worry that some feathers may be ruffled or that the right spin has not been concocted yet.

She was reliable, IMO.

Also:
    If Santos wants to invest in a WPS, how about investing in the Chicago Red Stars. There is already a connection with Cristiane having played there.