Free Screening of "Once A In Lifetime" Cosmos Documentary In NYC

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Footix, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Friends at Miramax have offered the ESC and their friends a private screening of Once In A Lifetime, the excellent documentary about the rise, heyday, and fall of the Cosmos.

A few of us got to see the film at it's debut at the Tribeca Film Festival, and we agree, it's a fantastic look at the team, it's players, and NYC culture during those disco days. Whether you are a fan or hater, the film is absolutely compelling.

Anyway, the date we've been offered is the evening of July 6, at a swanky screening room in midtown Manhattan. Before I confirm it with the movie company, I need to know if there is enough interest.

If interested, please send me an email at:
    escscreening@gmail.com

and let me know how many you'd like to bring. This is not a firm rsvp, just a way for us to count how many are interested.

Trailers here:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489247/trailers

Official website here:
    http://www.onceinalifetime-movie.com/

2. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Are Raging Bull Nation invited?

3. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    No.

4. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Just kidding.

ESC members & their guests first, and if any seats remain, other RB fans are invited. Send me an email to be put on the wait list...address in first post above.

5. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Jeez. I thought you were serious for a second there. I was thinking "What did we ever do to you other than be really cool and attention-grabbing? Why oh why must we be so interesting? For the love of god!" :p

6. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    (logging on from Germany for the first time in over a week).

This is a great movie and you should all go see it. Much thanks to Footix for setting it up. He doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a large present from Germany, and unlike last time it won't be a hairy chick.

I'll be back in NYC by then but since I've already seen it I won't take a seat away from someone who hasn't. You should all try to get out to watch it one way or another. First, it's pretty funny, I'd advise watching it for the Giorgio Chinaglia morbo alone. Also, the Shep interviews are always quality, and the soundtrack is pretty solid as well. New Rochelle native Matt Dillon does the narration.

Anyway, get out there.

7. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    OK, the screening is on for sure:

Thursday, July 6
    7:00pm
    at a Midtown screening room.

I'm told that the movie is tentatively scheduled to be shown from the jumbotron after the Red Bulls match next Wednesday night, but I can't imagine that with the crummy sound in Giants Stadium and the distance of the screen it would be anywhere near as enjoyable as seeing it in a swanky screening room...not to mention what the deal might be with late buses back to the city, etc.

So as it stands now, with the early responding people already taking up half the screening room, there are a limited amount of seats left for our private viewing.

If you intend to attend, send me an email with your number of guests, and I'll hit you back with the address and other info:

escscreening@gmail.com

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I can try to make it, but no guarantees (el worko)....... Hope that was definite enough.....

9. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Whatever, goofnuts.

The room is now more than half-booked...response has been greater than expected. RSVP asap if you want in:

escscreening@gmail.com

10. gtheman

gtheman New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    When will this movie be released on TV or DVD?

11. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I was one of a handful of fans that stayed through the end of the screening tonight after the game. About 50-100 fans stayed for the beginning of it and then midway through, the video portion conked out. The picture came back on, but by that time, there were only about 10 poor souls like myself that actually waited and were still there to see the rest of it.

A must-see if you grew up during the Cosmos-era......especially if you were astute enough to understand even back then the enormous influence that Chinaglia had on the team. It's the first time I've ever heard Pepe Pinton speak and I'm convinced he's even more of an idiot than before.

12. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll probably have to work but if i don't I'd like to see it.

13. Jim Andreano

Jim Andreano New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Actually, it is being released in theaters. Opens July 7, limited release.

14. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    The screening list is now closed. If you requested a spot on the list you should have received confirmation by now.

If you asked for passes and do not show up, I promise I'll post your name and email here so those who didn't make the list can let you know their displeasure directly.

I'll also have a tube of posters from the film there for those attending, so hit me up if you want one that night.

See you there.

15. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I RSVP'd as soon as the thread came up on 6/19 -- but have not had any confirmation that I had a seat.

So let me guess -- my email via the link never got through. Fine by me. Fv<k the Cosmos and the fv<king film. And Fu<k the Red Bulls too, for good measure, and the ESC and RedBullNotion and Shepp Messing and Georgio Chinaglia, ESPN and MSG and MLS from top to bottom. I guess that's us.

Who'd I leave out? Myself. Fu<k me, too, if I ever buy another can of Red Bull.

I can't believe I wasted ten years of my life caring about this shite; it only took Youri a season and a half to get the picture.

16. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    No, I have you down +1. Maybe my mail didn't get to you...I'll resend the info to you right now.

17. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Well... in that case, I here and now un-fu<k all I nailed in the above. Even GC, who's point of view I'm actually beginning to accept: New York will not pay to see college players in something called Major League Soccer. Major League means something here; there are certain expectations of a Yankee/Mets/Giants level of performance.

Fu<k the Knicks, and the whores they road in on.

(DEADWOOD is back on Sunday nights.)

18. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Cosmos
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ertegun_brothers

Sincerely
    IWA