Freddy Juarez Expectations -> Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Aug 12, 2019.

?

What does Fredd Juarez have to accomplish to become the RSL head coach

1. Win MLS Cup

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Reach MLS Cup

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Reach Western Conference Finals

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Reach Western Conference Semis

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  5. Finish in top 3 of West

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. Make Playoffs

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  7. Nothing - find a different coach

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  8. Other - explain in post

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I agree, and unless I'm wrong the only other assistant on the staff currently is Hoffard. To be honest, I'm not sure even how you evaluate a goalkeeper coach.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicky's form of late would suggest he's doing a pretty decent job keeping him tuned in when he could easily be just cashing a check

El-ahrairah, Ismitje and RSLer repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His reaction times to block shots the last few weeks have been excellent.

4. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Bumping this thread.
    Does #3 in the west mean anything?

Does getting past Portland?

Does Freddy even want the job?

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    3rd place mean anything? Not this year the way all of the other teams where crapping the bed left and right. Lookin at you LAG.

Beating Portland? At home, not for me. Get to the final and I could be persuaded.

Does he want the job? I hope not. Not for his sake, and I have nothing against Freddy, but for the teams sake. This club deserves a seasoned and experienced coach if you ask me. But what do I know?

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's certainly not a bad thing to finish 3rd. But when you take into account how this team performed over the home stretch 3rd both feels amazing and like a let down.

Portland has been amazingly awful/weird over the past few weeks. But that's all been at home. They are built to play counter attacking soccer that tends to be more successful on the road. So this is a tricky test. But you should win home playoff games, so I only see this as an opportunity to lose for Freddy.

Like I said in the other thread, the only way I'm in the Freddy corner is if we win MLS Cup. There is hardly anything about this team/club right now makes me want to watch it in 2020 again.

goobx1 and evilradar repped this.
  7. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add a couple reliable strikers to this club and they will be fun to watch next season, I really don’t see Johnson coming back and Baird is really not enough. For me Freddy has earned the opportunity at a full season next year.

8. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    That might be a big ask, given that we probably have to find a GM first. Unless Andy's really upped his game since the last time we've failed to sign an impact goalscorer.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this has been such a black mark on the club since Lagerway left. Our best striker has honestly been a guy who they brought in as a supposed 8 to sit between KB and Rusnak. Instead he's disrupted Rusnak's role and, in hindsight, has contributed a lot towards KB's perceived decline in play. Then Waibel had to go find an actual 8 (who plays more like a 6 in reality) to make up for the move. And don't get me wrong, Everton is a hell of a player, but the inability to directly address the team needs is baffling.

Like the outside back situation this year. The club decides to go get Toia as a backup and continues with Lennon and Herrera. But, then they finally realize how much better Herrera is on the right (even as a big Lennon at RB fan in the past this was obvious) and so then we're taking who was supposed to be a backup/role player (Toia) and asking him to start 30+ games.

Then you go into the Tony Beltran and Luke Mulholland decisions - probably can be explained away as locker room type signings - and you wonder if the GM/club really had a good grasp on what the team had.

RSLer, goobx1 and Allez RSL repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS published a top ten candidates for the three current vacancies: ours, Houston's, and Orlando's. No mention of Freddy.

Their ten candidates.

RSLer repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another title for that list might be: A List of Managers You Will Never See at RSL.

pcny, BalanceUT, UofRSL and 4 others repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, here I thought it was going to be a list of actually talented individuals and the second name is Lord Dickhead himself. If I'm Freddy I'd be pissed about that guy being in there, with pretty much close to zero actual head coaching experience, after all the years Freddy has put in.

I really love the idea of Diego Alonso, but that shit aint happening

Again, though, I wan this club to put 100% of their focus on hiring the right GM. From there, you get the coach, staff, front office, etc.

UofRSL, El-ahrairah and Todorojo repped this.
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Double rep for the Lord Dickhead remark.

14. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Not sure what it says about me, but only the 3 foreign coaches are on the list to even consider. None of the MLS former players and retreads are even remotely interesting. Cirovsky is (sort of) intriguing.

goobx1 repped this.
  15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Don’t know if Waibel brought him in but great job in general to Waibel (don’t know why he was fired. ) and what a job by Juarez last night! Had dem boys from rose city shook!

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy was part of this organization well before Waibel. Waibel's Front Office did push Freddy into the first team staff, though, and, obviously, gave him the interim tag.

I would also state that, while RSL looked pretty good against Portland, they were flat as hell to start the second half. A trend that was prevalent under Petke and, in my opinion, has got even worse under Freddy. It's one of the top reasons I am not in favor of Freddy taking on the coaching title officially. In the moments when a coach can really show their ability to adjust things, he has shown that he is not up to par.

RoyalNonesuch, Sam Hamwich and goobx1 repped this.
  17. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the poll on this thread 70.3 percent of us feel he has earned the right to keep the coaching job. Have to say I feel he has earned it.

BalanceUT repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse Marsch’s halftime speech during RBL’s Champion’s League game against Liverpool should be required viewing for anyone wondering how a coach can inspire his team and change the way they are playing the game.

15 to 32 repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should open up a new poll or reopen this one
    This situations around the club at the time made it feel like a conference semi final appearance was so outlandish that I bet some people picked it to make it feel like they gave him a glimmer of hope.

Here's something to think about: has this club already given Freddy the job, like they did with Cassar, and are waiting for some moment to actually announce it?

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the USSF didn't even interview him is beyond me. I know the nepotism and everything, but man, at least throw a dog a bone.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Freddy is not he coach that this team needs but may be coach this FO deserves.

For me ALL of the credit for any and all success should fall on the players and the veterans that have seemingly pulled a rabbit out of a hat this season.

Freddy would/will be Cassar 2.0 and if given the job will crash and burn next season.

If I have learned anything at all this season is that there is absolutely talent on this team. Talent that with an experienced and proven coach could really capitalize upon. Freddy has 2018 written all over him. 2017 RSL played lights out and the thought was, hey give Petke the off season and 2018 will be an incredible season, just you wait!

Petke, and now Freddy, are no where near having this team as exciting and dynamic as they were at the end of 2017. An off season with Freddy doesn't inpire my expectations in the least.

More power to him if he gets the job but we'll be having this conversation about which assistant is going to replace him in a year or two if they hire him.

pcny and Ismitje repped this.
  22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    You can't deny though that his set up completely confused a veteran Portland team.

That means he had the right strategy and lineup from Minute 1.

When portland changed coming out of halftime, Freddy didn't have too much time to prepare.

Also, he got the late goal and if you review the playoffs, each of these games has been tight for 90 with many of them going overtime.

Not for RSL.

I'm pretty neutral but I like to reward the coach for getting it right on formation and scoreboard from minute 1.

georg, Allez RSL and Ivensor repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had the team setup to succeed in the opening 45, no doubt about that.
    He had them setup to fail from minutes 45-75, though.

Some of that is due to Portland's smart adjustment's and credit needs to be given to Savarese. However, it it really shouldn't take Freddy 30+ minutes to adjust to Portland's changes. Especially when they are so clearly defined: the midfield was getting absolutely worked in transition. That's alarming and a trend that has been consistent under his leadership.

What the data shows is that Freddy knows how to prepare his teams in the week. The data also shows that he doesn't know how to play the tactics within the game itself. Rowe should have come on a lot earlier. Rimando's (ridiculous) save on Blanco and a poor shot (by his standards) from Valeri are why the game was still level late. In a lot of ways, a draw (extra time) would have been a fair result given we dominated the first half and they dominated a lot of the second half. If this was a regular season game, I'd have said we stole 2 points.

pcny, RSLer, SenordrummeR2 and 1 other person repped this.
  24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather we try and get a good and seasoned coach. Do we really need to keep trying to promote assistants and random staff? It just feels like we see a half decent set or results and automatically assume they'll be great for years. Kreis was an outlier, not the norm.

goobx1 repped this.
  25. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I don't remember this, but I guess I voted for winning MLS cup.

Let's see if the guy can pull it off.