Freddy Adu an all Star?? a disgrace

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Line9Foul, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I bet his does... if not on merit, as th "commissioner's choice" or whatever. The game is in DC. Freddy will be on the East roster, like it or not.

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hey as of a couple of weeks ago Nomar Garciapara lead all-star voting at his poistion without even playing a single game.

3. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    I voted for Adu.

He will be a commisioner's pick anyway. Face it. He's the most recognizable face in US soccer, there is absolutely no way he's not at the game. He may not play much, but he will play. After all, it is an all-star game, a showcase game. Stop crying about he's not good enough, who cares? It's the all-star game. The ONLY person that should be upset about it is the player whose spot he takes, therefore causing that player not to earn his all star bonus.

4. argaen

argaen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Tucson, Arizona
    I also voted for Adu.

MLS is crap right now anyway (yes I'm an American soccer snob). I only want to watch 4 or 5 players in the league and Adu is right near the top.

PS - He better F'N start in that game too!! :D

5. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    If he's not selected to be the All Star Game, he damn well should be. He is the biggest draw MLS has. This game is not about tactics, its about showcasing the most exciting and marketable players that the fans want to see.

The game is in DC. Do you remember a certain 16 year old being a Commissioner's Pick for the All Star Game. (coughSatinoQuarantacough). You actually want interest in this game, you put Freddy on the team.

6. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu is just plain annoying and cocky. I hope he gets no playing time.

7. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    What's the problem? He's a least as good as Santino Quaranta was in his all-star rookie year....

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Kobe Bryant was voted an All-Star starter his rookie year. He may have been slightly more deserving than Adu, but had absolutely no chance to be chosen as a reserve by the coaches. Yao started over Shaq as a rookie because of Chinese ballot box stuffing.

Half of the players in the NFL blow off the Pro Bowl.

Baseball gives retiring Hall of Famers ceremonial all-star appearances. Teams with good attendance tend to always have more all-star starters. Japanese fans stuff internet ballot boxes with great enthusiasm.

My point?

Having a ridiculous, publicity-driven undeserving player in our all-star game means soccer has finally made it in this country. Freddy, we salute you once again.

9. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Settle down Beavis.

All Star voting is a popularity contest. He is popular. It is NOT a referendum on a season's performance.

Plus, it only counts for 25% in the the way the teams are chosen. But of course, he will be on the team whether he gets voted in or Garber has to chauffeur him in. And given the way the fans show up to see him play - Adu deserbes to play.

Grow up.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It seems likely that Freddy has accomplished less during his professional career than has any other All-Star in any other professional sport, ever.

I suppose that you can argue, "So what? All-Star games are useless & meaningless anyway." Great. That's the pitch that you going to bring to mainstream America? That the game is a meaningless sideshow? I'm sure they'll flock to that.

I for one enjoyed the game a lot more last year when it was meaningful -- a game of pride and integrity for U.S. soccer. And I don't think I'm the only one. I bet that mainstream America can tell the difference between a well-played game that is earnestly (and emotionally) contested, and a cynical exhibition. Between a racehorse and a show pony.

Freddy will be a racehorse soon enough. Race him then.

11. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago

Listen bud, this is voted on by the fans. If the fans want him in their then he gets to go in there. I think you need to take a deep breath, take some Ritalin and apporach this calmly. If youw ant a disgrace issue to talk about you should tell MLS is was a disgrace to allow a 41 year old bastard win league MVP from a team that wasnt even in the final. Now thats a disgrace. That makes is look like the laughing stock of the soccer world when you have an old man win league MVP. A guy that owuld probably die of a heart attack if he was playing in the EPL. Thats what I call a disgrace.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I didn't vote for Adu because I knew enough people would to earn him a spot (not to mention the kind of attendance draw the kid is virtually guarentees him a "comissioners nod"). When I voted this year and in past years I have tried to "un-bias" myself and choose the top performing players. Adu is not one of these, but he will find his place among the All-Stars this year because All-Star game are about the STARS and Adu is one of MLS's.

13. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    How about you take some of that Lithium and follow it with a 5th of kettle one.

14. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Its a long season, Dont be surprised that this kid has a great run toward the end of the season and the playoffs. Whos knows!??! he is 15 so that makes hi pretty awesome in my book considering his age.

15. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    And Tejada is on fire right now.........

16. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ketel One an all Star?? a disgrace

OK, now I am mad. You can rip the League apart all you want with worthless invective but never, EVER misspell:

[​IMG]

I...I gotta go...

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All-Star games have always been about who the fans want to see, not who "deserves" to be there (whatever the hell that means). There have always been people who get left out who are having good years, there have always been guys who are only there as a bone to the home fans or for other reasons.

It doesn't make anybody look amateur. It is what it is. Don't watch, don't fret, the Republic won't crumble if Freddy's in the All-Star Game.

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Don't say stuff like this around me.

Mike Williams was a mediocre relief pitcher on a last-place team for the Pirates in 2002, with a 2-6 record for the year and an ERA over 4 at the break.

And an all-star.

Who can forget the immortal Jose Rosado, KC all-star in 1997? Paul Byrd in '99? Travis Fryman in '96? Steve Ontiveros and Gary DiSarcnia in '95? Mickey Morandini in '95? John Hudek in '94? Mike Sharperson in '92? And my personal favorites, Greg Olson and Gregg Olson both making it in '90? Atlee Hammaker made it as a rookie in '83 after pitching in about 10 games. Same with Scott Williamson in '99. Kicking ass, but ten games. Terry Steinbach made his first all-star game ONLY because the As were huge at the time - then he promptly went out and won the game MVP.

The great all-star teams in the second world ward, including legendary single-season wonders like Nate Andrews and Pete Fox?

The most analogous example? Joe Nuxhall in '55. A kid whose arm fell off by going pro at 15 or 16.

My real point - I used to know far too much about baseball, a sport I no longer watch. Also, Freddy as an all-star in no way hurts the sanctity of the process. In Cal Ripken's final year, Alex Rodriguez gave up his starting spot so the no-longer-that-good fading star could take a final victory lap. EVERYONE LOVED IT. Similarly, 90% of MLS viewers will probably enjoy seeing Freddy in the game.

Reverse it - was it smart, or stupid for LeBron James not to be in the All-Star game this year? That's the guy everyone wanted to see. In his case, he may well have deserved it, too.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Won't crumble if Don Garber puts two of his kids on the squad, either. But that would still suck and people would be justified in writing that his decision sucked.

20. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The difference is people won't pay to see Garber's kids. But they'll pay to see Freddy.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People would be getting bent out of shape about something that doesn't matter at all. Which is their right, I guess.

22. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Spot on.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the All-Star Game, right? Not the Hall of Fame. If you can get into the Hall of Fame on a good half-season, Hurricane Hazle has a chance. :)

As to the general point, if you make the broader generalization that there are baseball players who make the All-Star Game because they are popular players who draw fans and viewers, regardless of their performance at the moment, then Adu fits.

Not saying it's right. But I really don't care. The All-Star Game (in any sport) isn't for the players, it isn't for purists, it isn't about justice or equity. It's about what'll sell.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's a reasonable way of framing things.

There are still significant differences between Freddy's case and other cases, but if I outline those differences nobody will care.

I'll say this, every time Freddy gets a new freebie, the ante is raised. I hope that he recognizes what a brutal fall he is in for if he doesn't fulfill these ever-increasing expectations. I don't think Garber is doing him any favors with this decision.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't aware Garber had actually made the decision yet.