Frankie Simek: Month-Long Loan to QPR

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Atouk, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal's 20-year-old American-born defender Frankie Simek is set to sign a one-month loan with QPR. Depending on the fitness of QPR's two first-choice central defenders, Simek could see his first action tomorrow. He is going to travel with the team to Preston.

2. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Big Big News.. let's hope he can make some noise.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    good find & great news!

4. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is cover for some injured QPR defenders; Dan Shittu, Matthew Rose, Arthur Gnohere, George Santos have all played central defense and are all either carrying knocks or are out altogether for the R's; if two of Rose-Shittu-Santos are healthy I honestly wouldn't expect to see Simek get any significant minutes, and QPR have gone on record as saying they do not guarante loanees playing time.

One thing's for sure...Simek is joining a red hot side; QPR have won their last 7 league games and are 3d in the Championship, one point off the lead.

5. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    What's funny about this is how they describe him - "tough-tackling" and all that. Reminds me of how Reading built-up Convey when they first got him.

It's like how they describe an unknown 'keeper as "acrobatic", and how a baseball player would be "hard-hitting", or a "flame-thrower".

6. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To follow up on Art's post: QPR plays a 4-4-2 and essentially has three "first choice" center backs -- Dan Shittu, Georges Santos, and Matthew Rose. Number four on the depth chart, Arthur Gnohere, is out for another month. There is essentially no cover beyond that (Richard Edghill, an outside back, would fill in).

With all three of their best healthy, Rose has shifted to left back (supplanting Gino Padula, who was named to the Best XI in Division Two last year), so all three have been playing during most of our excellent run (7 wins straight in the league -- 8 of 9).

Shittu is recently back from an eight-month-long rehab due to a knee injury. In QPR's last game, he slightly injured the other knee -- he's slated to miss Tuesday's game, but hasn't yet been ruled out for Saturday. Both Santos (achilles) and Rose (bruised foot) have been nursing injuries, but haven't missed a game of late.

So, if Shittu's new knee problem is worse than first feared, Simek could look to get some playing time. If Shittu and Santos, in particular, are healthy enough to play over the next month, I don't know how much time Simek would get.

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Yanks going head to head. Always a fun event.

If the kid impresses, who knows, could this end up being a season long loan?

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Wouldn't Arsenal want some sort of assurance that Simek will get some experience before they'd release him to QPR?

9. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowadays, it seems many teams do want that assurance. However, QPR manager Ian Holloway has been quoted recently as saying that he's not too fond of that idea.

I have no idea what assurances have been given regarding playing time. Maybe that's why it's just a month -- if he's getting time, maybe Arsenal will allow it to be extended.

Honestly, when I saw we took the kid on loan, I was worried that Shittu's new injury was (heaven forbid) worse than expected, because that would likely get Simek some playing time (we've had success with Rose at left back, so Holloway may want to keep him there).

If Shittu and Santos are both healthy, Simek would have to be quite good to get any time (Santos has been man of the match several times since settling in, including this week in our win against West Ham, and Shittu is a stud).

10. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps they would but as Ian Holloway has gone on record saying QPR won't guarantee loanees playing time I dont think they'd have much cause to be upset if he didnt play much; its not a secret.

Dan Shittu in particular is SO valuable to QPR that my suspicion is he might be rested anyway, if there's any risk of further injury, even if he passes a physical. Olly's been hinting at that for a few weeks, saying before the Coventry game that Shittu might be rested...though he wasn't.

I doubt this would be a season long loan spell, unless a) the injuries to Shittu or Santos are worse than feared; or b) Simek really impresses...and I mean REALLY.

11. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...over under on how many posts it takes for someone to make a joke about Dan's name? :D

12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when his name would've been *********u on here..........

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is a great opportunity for Frankie.

QPR is tied for second with Reading with 26 points in what used to be called the first divison till last year, one point behid Wigan.

And, while QPR is doing well, their defense isn't exactly setting the world on fire. It's not bad - 16 goals allowed in 13 games - by any means, but of the teams in the top half of the standings, it's tied with Ipswich for the most goals allowed.

So, a couple of good showings and maybe QPR will want to extend the loan.

And, with QPR being in London, like Arsenal, Frankie won't have to move and get used to new surroundings off the field and it will be easy for Arsenal to monitor his progress. Though, he will likely have to learn a new way to work!

BTW, any chance Frankie sees some time with Rangers at right back, or are they looking at him just as a "centre half"?

14. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

I know what you mean. I think they are referring to his his cup match last year where he took out two players with a brilliant tackle

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news. I think.

16. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, there has been a better showing of late:

First four games -- 8 goals allowed (0 clean sheets)
    Last nine games -- 8 goals allowed (4 clean sheets)
    Marcus Bignot has started all 13 league matches at right back and has been solid. I'd be a bit surprised, both because of Bignot's play and because the press release from QPR called him a center back (and discussed our injury situation at that position). Richard Edghill (former Man City captain) is our primary cover at that position (as well as at left back and secondary cover in central defense).

17. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Great news for Simek now if he does well then Arsenal might just let him play in the first team(not as a starter but, like 10 minutes a match). Maybe they will just let him leave to QPR and QPR are doing very well in the Championship they have a chance to get promoted to the Premiership.

18. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt it. It'd have to be a free as QPR have no cash.

19. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I think what you think.

20. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Nicky Butt has nothing on this guy.

Heh heh heh. Imagine that matchup. "And Shittu is all over Butt."

Forgive me. I'm 12.

21. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Well I'm 38 and I prefer - "Shittu runs down Butt."

22. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Shittu not, that took longer than I expected.

23. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine what it was like a couple years ago when QPR had Doudou in their side as well.

24. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Better than having Gnohere all over Butt.

25. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This is good news for Frankie, assuming he gets playing time.