Frank Klopas Career Deathwatch Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Super Sting, May 9, 2010.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Of course, that would work, but I had a few individuals in mind already.

seamuslush repped this.
  2. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that would mean running the Fire like an actual soccer team rather than a financial asset to bleed dry.

loonixxx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither is going to happen, that is until all the expansion/SUM money stops coming in. No matter what the league says, I don't see them stopping at 24,25,26,27,28......I believe it will be a 30 to 32 teams league, if that's the case we are stuck with Hauptman for 10-15 years at least.

#GODHelpUsAll

5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Of course

Yes, and this is what is so maddening. We all see that thinks could improve quickly if he would let it happen. The think is that it would not even cost that much money.

How much would a competent President and Coach cost? Maybe $200,000 each.

For a pittance, we could have a team that we could be proud of and he would make even more money.

I don't think that even Robbie Fowler can help on this one.

6. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
  7. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't know.

It's from the December 2000 coaches trip to Barcelona. Remembered seeing it in the misty past. Found it on this Spanish Stockov fan site: http://www.angelfire.com/tn2/Stoichkov/spanishnews.html

[​IMG]

There's a separate picture which I assume is with David Kammarman, but I don't know if that means he's not the lurker.

[​IMG]

Hristo Stoichkov visitó ayer las instalaciones del Camp Nou acompañado de sus entrenadores de los Chicago Fire. El búlgaro invitó a todos sus técnicos (Bob Bradley, Denis Hamlett, Frank Klopas, Daryl Shore) y a David Kammarman, utillero del equipo, a conocer todos los rincones del coliseo barcelonista. El único que no pudo asisitir fue Mike Jeffries, segundo entrenador. Todos alucinaron. Mientras las elecciones americanas no pueden estar más reñidas, en fútbol ya saben lo que escoger: Barça.

So it sounds like Mike might not have made the trip? He was hired by Dallas in January. Only 4 coaches being present matches up with this quote from an English Stockov fan site: http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/Stoichkov/ChicagoFire.html

"The US media announced, that the Bulgarian megastar Hristo Stoitchkov has arranged a welcoming of the coaching staff of Chicago Fire in Spain the coming month. The four coaches of Fire will stay in the Catalunian capital four weeks.
    On the 11th they will watch the Catalunian derby-match Barcelona-Español and Stoitchkov is going to be their host.
    "

8. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1733 seamuslush, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Pictures re-posted since Angelfire.

upload_2015-9-1_6-37-1.png

Per Chicago-Fire.com via Internet Archive Wayback Machine, Jeffries was scheduled to make the trip.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010408025519/http://chicago-fire.com/press/releasetext.asp?prID=153

"From Barcelona, with Love
    The entire Fire coaching staff - Bob Bradley, Mike Jeffries, Denis Hamlett, Frank Klopas and Daryl Shore - next week will be heading to Barcelona, Spain, as part of an off-season coaches retreat. During its two-week Spanish stretch, the Fire entourage will benefit from a host of opportunities, including planning for the 2001 season, scouting talent, and exploring possible pre-season training sites. The coaches will also get a closer look at how other teams operate as they are scheduled to attend training sessions and games by first and second division teams, including a match between Spanish powerhouse FC Barcelona vs. Español on December 11 at Nou Camp. Fire forward and former Barcelona megastar Hristo Stoitchkov will be serving as the coaches' host during the retreat."

Daryl Shore wrote letters that were posted to the website, but the only one I found does not mention who went with them.

9. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, there you've got pretty much everything right about this club in a single photo.

As much as it would be nice to have Frank be the full-time face of the Fire, ideally we seek new blood. But finding someone else with the same local respect, charisma, and int'l experience is very difficult.

Though he's another retread, really the only guy out there that can 'fix it' tomorrow is Bob. It won't happen; but hire an ambitious business-focused president with Bradley as the Bruce Arena-style GM/Coach/Guru/Chief Inquisitor, then attitudes change damn quickly.

Jiggly_333, seamuslush and cchchaplain repped this.
  10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    These things are not within the realm of possibility. Trusting people who I think I can trust, my impression is that Andrew could never cede control in the way you are suggesting, and without that, no one like Bradley or Arena would touch this club with a ten foot pole. Forget about spending money, I don't think he has it in him to sit back and let people do their jobs without sticking his nose in.

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    To demonstrate how far we have fallen, the modern day equivalent to this trip would be Frank Yallop and Clint Mathis participating at an off-season coaches retreat at FC Hoverla Uzhhorod, hosted by Razvan Cocis.

12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I've heard the borscht is good this time of year.

13. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borscht is fucking delicious.

14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    When the weather cools we meet for a Polish lunch near where I work.

15. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm there.

bunge repped this.
  16. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I was actually able to pull out this gif today in normal conversation and make it relevant:
    [​IMG]

bunge repped this.
  17. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Look, I wish Klopas all the best going forward.

He just never should have been a manager, nor a TD at this level.

Now, he'll likely have to restart his career @ the level he should have been at, which is either as an assistant coach to a legit manager, or as a scout.

xtomx repped this.
  18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ...and we are not really in disagreement. I felt that he could have been an effective coach or a passable TD, but certainly not both at the same time.

His double duty did not work in Chicago, nor in Montreal.

He is still a heck of a lot better than Yallop, though.

That said, we could and do much better.

19. FrenFan

FrenFan Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The idea that Klopas was "pulling double duty" when he became coach in 2011 is a myth. When he moved downstairs, he was no longer technical director, his duties upstairs were taken on by Jeffries, Leon and later Petrei.

The fact that the soccer operations setup was so unclear was in some ways purposeful.

I don't know where the idea came from that Klopas was "pulling double duty" in Montreal. Matt Jordan was their TD last year and Adam Braz was it this year.

In two and a half seasons with the Fire, Klopas never had a losing record and tied the club record for wins in a season (post Shootout) in 2012. He did all this with a smaller player budget than has been given to Yallop.

For a bit more perspective, in 23 games as interim coach in 2011 (his first MLS gig) Klopas went 8-5-10 (34 points). In 27 games this year (his 16th year as a head coach), Yallop has earned seven less points. Klopas had no DPs on his team that season due to cut backs on player budget. Yallop has had four just this year.

He had some faults, like any coach does. That said, had he been given the budget Yallop has received this year, I think we'd be having a different conversation entirely right now.

I'm really interested to see how the Fire end the season solely to see where Yallop ranks in two year futility among past MLS coaches. A quick glance says he's right up there (or down there) as it were.

Jiggly_333, seamuslush, bunge and 3 others repped this.
  20. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Short answer: Press coverage of the removal of Nick De Santis as sporting director.
    Longer answer:

When he was hired, Klopas' title in Montreal was head coach and director of player personnel.

When Nick De Santis was removed as sporting director, in July 2014, Saputo said of Klopas:

“He will have the responsibility to tweak this team according to what he feels he needs to be more competitive for the remainder of this season, the 2014 CONCACAF champions league and the 2015 season".

Most every article that I can recall from that time period implied or stated directly that Klopas would now have the duties of GM in addition to that of manager.

A later reorganization by the Impact that September led to changes that walked back the appearance/actuality of dual duty.

Saputo going to Saputo

xtomx repped this.
  21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @seamuslush, thank you.

@FrenFan, I agree that Klopas was a decent coach (but not more than that ).

However, he was both...and that was too much.

seamuslush repped this.
  22. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Well said.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  23. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Uncanny! RadioGonzo got all of these right!

24. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Frank Klopas as manager of the Fire in MLS Regular Season Action:

39 wins, 29 losses, 23 ties.
    43% Winning Percentage (38% overall as TD or Manager 2008-2013)
    140 points in 91 games.
    1.54 PPG (1.43 PPG overall as TD and/or Manager 2008-2013)

Yallop, Bliss, Pauno as manager of the Fire in regular season action (no meaningful difference in results yet to break it down further):

15 wins, 32 losses, 28 ties
    20% Winning Pergentage
    73 points in 75 games
    .97 PPG

Since Klopas left, the Fire have managed one more victory (15) in 75 games than the Fire had in Klopas' final season (14 out of 34 in 2013).

Since Klopas left the Fire have not matched our record in his worst season as TD or Manager (1.2 PPG in 2010). No real reason to think this will be the year, although the new acquisitions might change my mind.

loonixxx, SixKick, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He is a lousy analyst though.

splunge63 and Jiggly_333 repped this.