Franco Baresi...

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by Sid Wilson, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Sid Wilson

Sid Wilson New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    hey milan fans i was having a debate the other day with my uncle about whether franco baresi was indeed a great sweeper for milan and italy, i didint see too much of him but ive been told he is a true legend a superb defender

what made baresi the iconic figure that he is, what were his great playing attributes as a defender of top quality for so long?

furthermore, how does the great nesta compare to baresi in defensive talent as a CB?

thanks for informing me guys!

2. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    He was a great reader of the game, one of the best ever. He played clean and was superbly skilled. When you think of classic Italian defending or great Milan defense, I think of Baresi and Maldini. Not to mention the fact that he was dead loyal to the club.

Nesta is one of the better CBs of his generation. I don't think he will be considered better than Baresi, unless Italy wins the world cup. Nesta is more the product of the modern game in style with his speed and tackling ability, while Baresi is the classic sweeper.

3. italcan

italcan Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Toronto
    i didnt know much about him until i saw him return from what I believe was a serious injury (broken leg??) and play in the world cup final against brazil....the game was 0-0 to penalties.

he was masterful in that game.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was at the Rose Bowl that day and couldn't believe how exceptionally well he played, especially after coming off an injury in the first or second match. Baresi would always leave his shirt outside his pants because he thought it bad luck if he didn't. The refs gave up on telling him to tuck it in. I remember at the WC Final and also a game in 1997 that he told the ref off or "va fan ####"! Replays could clearly see what he said but everyone forgave him and he was always "graziato" or forgiven.
    Franco Baresi grew up in Inter's ranks. He was actually cut from Inter at a young age either 13 or 14 by I Inter. The club told him to consider soccer only as a secondary sport. When Milan saw something in him and signed him up. When bother Giuseppe starred for Inter however, Franco had a difficult time. He and Giuseppe Baresi were considered two of the all time greats and were both captains in the Inter vs. Milan hometown derby's. He was a starter right away for Milan but kind of struggled getting in the national team . Also, Milan was relegated back to Serie B once for game fixing scandal and once because they weren't playing well. In 1988 , 3 years after being promoted back to Serie A, Milan started their cycle with Gullit, Van Basten, Riykyard , Maldini, Baresi, etc. He was on the bench in the 1982 WC. Enzo Bearzot always had a fixation with Baresi (and Roberto Pruzzo) and never would pick Franco becuase he prefered Gaetano Scirea. It wasn't until Bearzot was finished that Baresi got his chance and was runner up to footballer of the year in 1989.
    I used to love to see him call the offside trap or when he would yell at Paolo Maldini for screwing up. The foursome of Tassotti, (Galli)Costacurta, Baresi and Maldini was in my opinion the best of the modern era. I think Billy Costacurta owes a lot to Baresi for helping him with his game as does Maldini. Their longevity can be contributed to Baresi's example as they've always had praise for him as being their only captain. Its no wonder that Billy who turns 40 years old next week and still plays for Milan has signed a contract for another year. After Italy started assigning numbers to players' jersey's in 1996, Baresi was actually dedicated the number 6. They retired his number in 1997 after he retired.

5. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Baresi is one of the greatest defenders of all time, he was excellent at reading the game and was like a wall back there for both Milan and Italy.

6. jngugi19

jngugi19 New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    He didn't, actually. He tried out for Inter, but was considered too small and turned down, so he joined Milan.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought he played for the junior team and that was when Hilenio Herrera turned him down. Either way he was with Milan since he was 13 or 14. "Il Picinin" mean the small one.
    What I liked about Baresi was the way he called the offsides trap so eloquently. On that July day in 1994, Romario & Bebeto couldn't do nada! Even in Baresi's farewell game against an all star lineup in either 1997 or 1998, Romario had to leave the game as Franco stuck him and he actually hurt Romario. Romario not wanting to risk injury left early on in the match. I felt bad for him when he didn't win the football player of the year in 1989. He said he didn't mind however, as he lost to a teammate Marco Van Basten. Also, in those days defenders wouldn't get picked at all. It was a wonder that a few years later the German defender(I forget his name) won the award. From what I remember, he couldn't even shine Baresi's boots!

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The defender's name was Matthias SAMMER (1996). Baresi was way better!

9. milan1969

milan1969 New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Another testament to his leadership is that the Milan defense fell apart after his retirement. Maldini can't read the game and Costacurta, by his own admission, is there to beat up the attackers, not read the game.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Costacurta is only stopper but Baresi was the ultimate libero. Maldini plays ok in the middle but he is the greatest left back in the world so why bother playing in the middle? Alessandro Nesta was the first real libero they got to replace Baresi but he isn't in the same class. Baresi was named the Kaiser after Franz Beckenbauer becuase of his style of play. In 1996

11. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I consider Baresi the best Italian defender ever, better than Maldini or Nesta.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Through the years Italian defenders have dominated play. The defense has always been number one until at least 1994. The Italian forte was contributed to their defense. Giacinto Facchetti current Inter GM was also a great one as was Claudio Gentile and Beppe Bergomi.
    I believe Baresi is certainly considered among the very best. He played & controlled the total soccer defense and zone offside trap instead of the traditional catenaccio. the Its funny however, with Enzo Berzot, he wasn't even considered. In the 84 Olympic games Baresi actually played in the midfield and was passed over for the 86 WC. Enzo prefered Gaetano Scirea to Baresi. Scirea was also in a class of his own and a great sweeper. He supposedly held the distinction of never being ejected. At least that is the legend. I think another Italian stopper who I consider one of the best of all time however, somehow got the short end of the stick, was Pietro Vierchowod. I wish he would have accepted Arrigo Sacchi's invitation to play in the 1994 WC. He didn't want to play becuase he said he wanted to be a starter at 35 and Arrigo couldn't guarantee the Czar a starting position. I think w/Baresi out and with Costacurta suspended for the final, Vierchowod would have played quite a bit. Seeing him play and start at the age of 40 was a credit to his work ethic.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just saw a classic Ac Milan match vs Benfica from 3/1/95... Baresi & Maldini were on fire. Felippo Galli filled in for Billy Costacurta and played ok. Marco Simone scored twice in a 2-0 win. Baresi played awesome as always.... There was or is no comparison between him and Nesta or anyone else that I can think of.

14. ronaldinh010

ronaldinh010 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    I was a Napoli fan and hated Milan in those days. Baresi was a libero and midfielder in one. His offside calls were ridiculous. Nobody has mastered that art as he did. The Milan v Napoli derbys were so great to watch b/c Napoli was a counterattacking team (at least against Milan), and it was like Baresi Vs Maradona, Maradona trying to beat the offside trap with his passes to Careca. Just beautiful. If I remember correctly, Baresi used to go up quite a bit to help the offence (as if they needed any help).

He was a class act. Rough and tough when he needed to be but a very clean and cerebral player overall. I absolutely HATED HIM.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Milan stole the scudetto away from Napoli in one of those years. I think it was in 1987/88 season. I think Napoli was up ontop all year until they played Milan at the end of the season when Rudd Guilit took over. Napoli got sweet revenge a few years later and won it another scudetto in 89/90. Too bad Napoli faced hard times after Diego.
    When you saw Digo vs. Baresi it was the ultimate dual. I know Baresi and Sacchi wanted diego as did the rest of the world. I think Diego wouldn't have gone thru his drug thing if he went to Milan. Oh well all history now!