France v Ireland (7th Sept) - WC Qualifying [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by gaijin, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, the French NT now knows what it takes ! ;)

2. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You could say Stephane Guivarc'h was representing Brittany anyway. ;) :p

3. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ugggg.... I don't think that Brittany wants to claim him anymore. I swear that guy should have scored 3 against Brazil alone.

On another note. Does anyone know where I can download the Henry goal against Ireland? I need to add that one to my desktop. Clinical.

4. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If this is all that you retain...Don't you remember the law passed saying you could end up in jail for showing disrespect to national emblems for example ? Raids against immigrants well in front of the camera, all those speeches on France having lost its values, etc...Maybe you should check the post I was answering to initially.

MM Sarkozy, Perben, de Villiers and some MPs of the majority (and of course the far right in general but that's not surprising from them). I shall add that this trend is ongoing in many Western countries. I think we should end the political discussion here...

5. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I don't know if people remember about that but there had been a Brittany vs Cameroon game in Rennes prior to the World Cup in 1998. I think it ended 1-1.

As for now, I consider Wiltord to be a Rennais by heart. ;)

6. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The speeches about France having lost its values is not necessarily something new. France is a country which doesn't know where it is going.

About raids against immigrants, that has nothing to do with patriotism. France is a country traditionaly welcoming immigrants, and losing its values would actually be to stop doing so. What I reject in your post is that you assimilate patriotism with intolerance. Something I strongly refute. Patriotism isn't nationalism.

De Villiers and the far right, okay. Sarkozy and Perben, I have strong doubts. We can blame many things about Sarkozy and Perben, I could understand we severly dislike their way to fight criminality, however, I think you're strongly misguided if you jump at the conclusion they are vichyist because of this.

Sorry to stick on this. It's not so important after all, but I don't like easy charicature.

7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No, but keeping it that way requires vigilance IMO.

Sarkozy and Perben are not Vichyist, it's just they stir something resident in the French (and once again in other places) society which Vichy was a blatant expression of...

8. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    here it is:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=405T46PK

"Borrowed" from:
    http://www.soccerpulse.com/forum/index.php?

Register there and keep this link for all goals,
    compilations, highlights, etc ("Soccer videos"
    forum)

Also, the best:
    http://www.********.com/forum/index.php?

register there as well & that's for full-games,
    highlights, etc (bitorrent).

9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I did not realise at once that the ball went in.

10. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We must at least admit that this goal is awesome. It's true that the game has been often rough, but the intensity was there. Argh ! That kind of games with so much pressure is really awful for my health ! :eek:

11. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    The level of flags and patriotic symbols could never be as pronounced in France as here in the US. I wouldnt be surprised if I could count 100 flags on my way home from work.

12. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    What is really interesting about the goal is how Wiltord screens out two Irish defenders...... Sometimes it's the little things that nobody notices that make a huge difference.

13. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Speaking about Wiltord, I remember the time when there was this whole story about him being a super sub. It would be interesting maybe to see that again, a fresh Sylvain against tired defenses.

Anyway, it's not only because of his goal in 2000 that I like him, it's also thanks to his commitment during the nightmarish WC2002, he really was the only one to have the spirit. He's not an undiscutable titular anymore but he's the kind of guy you need in a squad.

14. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yeah, I like him. Good attitude. he's just in a bit of a slump right now. he still has a mean shot though....powerful.

15. Dominique Rocheteau

Dominique Rocheteau New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Canada
    I wonder what would happen if the real Chirac tried to phone before the next match. could be interesting.

16. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Indeed. Keep it on topic please...

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    inter is worse (unless you think dropping a flaming vespa onto opposing fans is a harmless prank). take a gander at this: http://www.irriducibili-inter.com/nuovosito/frame.htm

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, wiltord didn't have a giant match, but i think his contribution to this goal is overlooked. he gave titi lots of time.

19. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004

No, no fighting certainly. I understand.

It's just that Barthez has given absolutely no reason since his first cap 11 years ago to drop him. And with his experience and all he's done for the team, however great Coupet is (and I do like him and more now that I know more about him), he's not better than Barthez and you'd essentially be giving the start to someone w/ only 12 caps to 73(?) - Barthez does not even deserve to not be in the starting eleven.

It's not like Barthez pulled a Pires and played like sh|t (even ever) for the French team, you know? And it's not as if he's playing past his welcome like Desailly was. And it's not even as if Coupet is pplaying better than him.

Barthez is only out of the team because he spit at a cunt which, last I heard, wasn't a punishable offense, so Escalettes is making an example of him is the only problem.

20. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would argue that he's playing past his welcome like Desailly.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it seems domenech was in the stands last night. he got an eyeful for sure. ;)

22. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    How's that even possible?

He hasn't made any mistakes and he's been a hero many times.

*edit: If it's Coupet you want in the fold, he's just one year younger than Barthez...

I don't really want to get into another Barthez v Coupet argument/discussion... I'll end it here (of course, unless there's something about Barthez to say! :p )

Anyhow, it's nice we found eachother amid the Vichyist posts :D

23. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004

With his Lyon season tickets of course! :D

24. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Why wouldn't we start another Barthez/Coupet argument after all ? ;)

The thing is, after the games Coupet did recently, I can tell you I'm more confident when Coupet is the keeper than when Barthez is the keeper. It seems the defence work better when organized by Coupet than Barthez. All this to say that I don't really care about Coupet's age, I still would feel better if he would be the French keeper in a hypothetical French participation to next world cup.

25. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I think the defensive organization comes from Thuram.