France about to ban the burka

Discussion in 'International News' started by Anthony, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: France sucks

I think you have comparison backwards. Of course there will be less harassment when the more modest choice is made.

2. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your opinion on yellow crescents sewn on your clothing? Are you down?

3. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For me it is a bit more basic. A person's face is the part of them that announces to the world "I am unique" as other than identical siblings, no one shares the same face. The burka takes that away from half the population.

That said, the ban is nothing more than fascism

4. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So why should we feel somewhat entitled to see everyone's face? Frankly, I see nothing wrong with someone not wanting to share.

5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine

Further debate, again with Salma and another Muslim academic, about the veil. I haven't seen it all, just been sent the link.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtLd6AKiTfs"]YouTube - Frost Over the World - Debating the face veil[/ame]

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Are you purposefully missing the point? :confused:

The issue is that whilst some people might object/be offended by to the fact that the Muslima is going out with her face not covered, no one will give a rats arse if a woman decides not to wear high heels.

7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
  8. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005

I am not opposed to Muslim countries trying to separate religion from politics and government. How they go about it can be open to question, but for the most part I think that is a question for the Muslims in the country to decide for themselves. France is not a Muslim country. Unless the woman is a teacher at the school or a government employee who deals with the public, there is no governmental endorsement issue and separation between religion and state is not threatened by the individual citizen's free exercise of religion on public or governmental property. By your logic, a law could be passed to prohibit Muslims from praying in government buildings. I submit to you that in western constitutional democracies, having a "weak" free exercise clause in the name of trying to create a "strong" establishment clause creates a danger for the very type of religious persecution that the first amendment in the U.S. Constitution was designed to prevent.
    Depends. Does she work at Fox News?

9. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine

On the heels issue:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8255909.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1219514/Why-need-exceptionally-heeled-work-Harrods.html

http://excelle.monster.com/news/art...kes-female-staff-wear-lipstick-and-high-heels

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You do know that public schools in America don't allow teacher-led prayer, right? It isn't just some Muslim countries which enforce secularism in government-run institutions.

11. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005

You do know that prayer is allowed in public schools right?

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Really? You're not just bullshitting? You're being truthful? I'm not being a dick, I'd just really like to know, because like demos and bigred, I do find it a little hard to believe that women dressed like that can participate in society outside of the family.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, I'm quite aware it is--as long as it's not led by the teacher or another school official, or made mandatory.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No bullshit. In fact, they are typically working directly with the public in a customer service capacity at places like the power company (DEWA) and some of the various ministries.

[​IMG]
    http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/dnrd-sets-up-committee-of-women-employees-hawa-1.52662

To me the most interesting part is that even though they are veiled, they still have to wear a picture ID without the veil on. I'm not sure how the two square. It's just interesting.

Edit: One more question. Does this French ban effect wedding veils?

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a story about that from todays Wash Post:

The few U.S. Muslim women who choose full veil face mix of harassment, sympathy

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be funny, the French police giving out tickets to the wife as soon as she comes out of the Church (or before she goes into the church)

I guess they should if they are covered in a public place (outside the church grounds)

Well now that I think about it, France pays (gives tax money) to churches, mosques, etc. Does that mean that even inside those buildings/grounds they are still in public space?

17. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The law is designed to affect only permanent wearers. So the police will first ask them to remove it, if they refuse they will issue a fine or send them to the french Gulags for re-education.

It's specifically targeted at wearers of the Niqab, meaning that scarf-wearers, nuns, newly-weds and armed robbers will remain un-victimised.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    haha... wow! Humans are the weirdest species ever!! :D:eek:

19. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my question is were does it end? are we going to have the govt tell me what kind of jacket i can wear?

20. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can still pray in public schools you just cant have the school force people to do it.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Happy now?

22. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commie.

23. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anarchist.

(can someone explain the concept of sarcasm to our forum's newest militant libertarian?)

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be like loading Office 2010 onto an abacus.

1 person likes this.
  25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLValMc9XjU&playnext=1&list=PL1D7BBA5BA7A9FD56"]YouTube - My Counsin Vinny Funny Sequence[/ame]