Foxboro travel/group info

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by milbrett, Jun 12, 2003.

1. milbrett

milbrett New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    MA
    So now that it's official and Gillette is getting a game... I thought we could start something for travelers... hotels and such and maybe plan a BS get together??... group tickets?? I figured I'd throw this out and see if there were any interest.

2. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I suggest www.midnightriders.com as a starting point. There is info there for visiting fans culled from years of hosting events at Foxboro. I suspect that there are enough Riders interested in the WWC for us to hold some sway regarding tailgate parties at the site and to help plan pre- and post-game gatherings.

One key to those flying in - the airport in Providence (TF Green?) is closer and frequently cheaper than BOS.

3. David Allan

David Allan New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Southeastern PA
  4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston and the Big Razor

aka Gillette Stadium which is really in Foxboro, MA (aka the middle of nowhere ;) ).

Saturday Sep 27
    S. Korea v. Norway 12:45
    Canada v. Japan 15:30

Wednesday Oct 1
    B1 v. A2 16:30
    A1 v. B2 19:30

From a Boston Breakers perspective, we get to see Dagny Mellgren and Karina LeBlanc in the Saturday matches. Maybe Ragnhild Gulbrandsen, too.

The USWNT is expected to play on Oct. 1. Should we plan a postgame party someplace?

5. also anything on supporter sections or group ticket info? i'd like to get this figured out. not necessarily now. but. sometime.

also, anyone know how far Woods Hole is from the stadium, or any decent transportation methods?

don't know much about Mass.

brit

6. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Miscellaneous Answers...

Woods Hole:
    Woods Hole is about 60 miles from Foxboro (Gillette Stadium). Traffic in and out of the Cape can really be tough, but during the Fall, when you'll be there, it shouldn't be *that bad*. Figure, by car, an hour and a half to two hours. If you attempt to go to the Cape during off hours (during the week) in the Fall, you should have no problem.

Supporter Section:
    Check out www.midnightriders.com, who nsa recommended. Also, as you probably know, if the US makes it and is playing (if you're in Foxboro for the quarter finals), Sam's Army will be there. Sam's loves Foxboro.

After Match Party:
    Tailgate it. There's nothing -- and I mean absolutely NOTHING -- in Foxboro. If you go with some people, or even if not, do a tailgate. The fine folks at Gillette are really good about it. And usually they allow people to tailgate well after the final whistle, but only for day games that end before late night. As an example, during some of the International matches over the years, I've hung with my tailgate crew as much as 5 hours after the game.

Transportation:
    Drive! The commuter rail does go to Foxboro (from downtown Boston), but I know little about it, as very few people actually take it. Just remember, Gillette Stadium is in the middle of seemingly nowhere. No kidding.

7. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    The commuter rail does not normally stop at (or even go by) Gillette Stadium. On some game days, the MBTA runs one special train to/from the game. I have never been able to find out ahead of time when they are doing it. I have failed to find it on both the Revs web site and the MBTA web site. It must be possible to find it, because some folks manage to ride it.

Dick.

8. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    if the crowd gets big enough, i assume they'll do it... for USMNT WCQs they've usually decided a few days beforehand.

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Saturday, I am not aware of any tailgate plans.

Postgame. how about a gathering at Funway Cafe, about 1 mile north of the stadium? Many of y'all that came up for FC I will remember the place.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mbta.com

Of special note:
    http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/transitupdates.asp

Nothing there about trains for WWC. I have sent a query.

Note that the info on the special train for Patriot games says no coolers and no backpacks. Has anybody actually ridden that train that could comment on their strictness?

11. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    I haven't ridden the train, but since you can't take coolers or backpacks (or much of anything else) into the stadium, there's not much sense in taking them on the train.

You will be patted down going into the stadium to make sure you didn't bring your own lunch. (Yes, I know it's supposed to be anti-terrorism, but I don't believe it.)

Dick.

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At prior (pre 9/11) US Men's matches and other soccer events, folks that brought stuff on the train were able to hook up with friends at tailgates and stash items in their cars. Some folks even flew into Logan, rode the T to the train to Foxboro carrying luggage. I honestly cannot remember a train for a post 9/11 soccer event.

Yes, stadium security can be real ****heads. But the leg flask still works. (Maybe they think it's a sack with another purpose. :) )

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    moot point

From the MBTA:

14. samsarmy_fl

samsarmy_fl New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Florida
    Sam's Army - what section in Foxboro?

I still have to buy my ticket for the quarterfinals in Foxboro October 1st. Anybody know what section Sam's Army is in?

Mike Reeves

15. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Re: Sam's Army - what section in Foxboro?

they sent me tix in 120 (I know this is where others received fed tix as well)...

just to let you know, if it is anything like RFK it will be a battle to have any kind of "supporters section"... the few of us that were there in RFK were mixed in with soccer moms who wanted their seats and didn't appreciate a lot of noise (the drums got banished)... I'm hoping for better, but I will believe it when I see it...

rand

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody going to Funway Cafe after the game?

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "I still have to buy my ticket for the quarterfinals in Foxboro October 1st. Anybody know what section Sam's Army is in?"

More than likely they'll be in section 143, aka "The Fort." This is historically the location Sam's Army has congregated in for U.S. National Team matches, going back to the first gathering of fans back in 1995 during the U.S. Cup.

You can located the section in the following diagram:

[​IMG]

Couple of things to bear in mind:

* This section is General Admission, meaning: first-come/first-serve on seats.

* While it has been designated as a standing section where cheering is encouraged... and Revolution supporters have been told that this policy will be effective for "all soccer matches at Gillette Stadium,", the likelihood is that there will be a large majority of fans watching from this section that will likely take issue with the variaty of support usually offered by Sam's Army.

This means: if you chant, cheer, stand, or beat a drum you're likely to face the wrath of soccer moms. If you encounter problems please be polite in directing them to speak to a stadium seating representative who can explain the policies specific to this section, individuals who may also be able to relocate them (the beauty of GA seating.)

* To the best of my knowledge U.S. Soccer did not provide Sam's Army with a block of tickets or location for this match. That being the case and based on word from the Midnight Riders, there is expected to be little Sam's Army representation at this match. That being said, efforts to get the main Sam's Army banner and the Sam's Army New England Brigade Banner (seen below) there are underway:

[​IMG]

Sunil Gulati's predicting a big crowd, we'll see if that happens.

The Magpie

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Correction, have since learned that Section 143 "The Fort" is not general admission for Wednesday's matches.

19. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    That might not be a bad idea. The Sox game will be starting right about then.

Ann