Fox Sports World

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by ISSfan, Aug 5, 2002.

1. ISSfan

ISSfan Member

Jun 17, 2001
    New York City
    I guess FSW dropped it's coverage of the Dutch top-flight. Anyone know what they will be covering on a regular basis? I tried to go to soccertv.com but the site was down, I think.

2. BenchRobSmith

BenchRobSmith New Member

If this season's like the past years, they don't have any idea what they'll be covering regularly. Clearly, the SPL will not be back, what with their TV debacle. Now that Sky owns Nationwide League rights, that seems fairly likely to appear. But apart from that, it's probably very much up in the air.

[sarcasm]
    Oh, and Oliver's site is down?

I'm so sad to hear that.
    [/sarcasm]

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just about to post a thread asking a similar question.

The FSW website http://www.foxsportsworld.com/world/ is looking pretty slim these days. I wanted to find what their telvised league lineup would look like this fall. Looking ahead at their schedule, it looks like:

EPL
    Argentine League
    German Bundesliga
    USL A-League
    Brazilian League
    US Open Cup - Quaterfinals and on

Anything else confirmed? The Scottish League started last week and is not found here. French Legaue? Dutch League? No Serie A again this season. There was speculation about some Nationwide Legaue games making it on FSW. UEFA Cup games - starting what round?

Can anyone add to my meager list of leagues

4. What's going on with Fox Sports World? Why havent they put out a list of leagues/tourneys they're going to carry?

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have read mainly because several leagues don't even have their domestic contracts sorted out yet so it's kind of hard to sell US rights.

6. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Folks, relax.

Fox Sports World has this habit of covering a league starting in mid-season. With the debacle in the European TV contracts right now, it is wiser to wait for a little while to find out what's on FSW and what's not.

No SPL this week? There wasn't even SPL coverage on Setanta this past weekend. Imagine the Rangers Supporter Clubs and Celtic Supporter Clubs getting no coverage on their season openers. If these folks didn't see the games, why do you expect the game will be on FSW? Heck, FSW is simply using their feeds.

BTW, SPL coverage on Setanta will start in week 2.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

[​IMG]

9. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    go to www.soccer.com and type in your area code and it will give you the games that are going to be played in your area for the next week or so. I saw that there was going to be a rerun of a SPL game sometime in the near future........ Or was I dreaming?

10. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    German league this weekend and scottish league rerun on tuesday(Dundee vs. Rangers)

11. bronxiniowa

bronxiniowa New Member

May 20, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Brazilian national championship on Wednesday nights and Sunday afternoons . . . Argentine Clausura tournament (SDD) on Sunday nights . . . Bundesliga on Saturday mornings . . . EPL on Saturdays and Sundays, plus some Mondays and Wednesdays . . . nothing else is really nailed down since the US rights are being negotiated.

12. While we're talking about FSW...

Cricket really sucks. How do they decide how many points a team gets and how does one get out? I'm confused...

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: While we're talking about FSW...

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it sucks.

Unless you believe all the soccer bashers, that is.

14. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    HUUUUUUUUGE props to FSW for putting Futbol de Primera on the English side. The best sports program in the world for my money. I'd rather have the all spanish version (no offense to Bretos) - but there you go.

Love the crowd shots outside the stadium. That show was definately the main reason I got into Argentine football.

Vamo La Acade.....!

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're talking about FSW and I don't want to start another thread, I'll just take this opportunity to say that Max Bretos doing play-by-play bugs the living **** out of me. I enjoyed him on the old EPL show when he played the occasional foil to Lionel, but when he SCREAMS DOING PLAY BY PLAY he's just annoying as all hell.

The only saving grace is that Allen Hopkins is NOT anywhere near the booth with him tonight on the LA/SJ game.

16. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Agreed. I don't want to be anywhere near the building if Max Bretos and Brent Musburger ever find themselves in the same room.

17. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

I love this show too. I really enjoy the segments where they go around the stadium before the game and show the crowd gathering. It's damned solid.

18. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some not so great FSW news concerning the Nationwide. It turns out that Sky have not purchased the highlight rights for the League - although they picked up the live matches. So, Im assuming that Sky Sports News will not be showing highlights of Nationwide matches on the Saturday FSW broadcast.

19. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    From What Oliver has said in an e-mail (and granted he is a doomsday type), the French league will not be picked up by FSW and will probably appear on F1 or F5 or whatever the french channel is called. I think it's only available on DISH.

Dutch league is gone and will most likely not be picked up.

Spanish league probably a no go.

Italian league may end up on FSW, but RAI is also in the running.

It could be a lean year for FSW but the CFL has been added;)

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Oliver say if the French League will put a team in New Orleans because there are x number of Cajuns within x miles of there....??? ;)

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    They're under the same umbrella company, yes. However, they are 100% seperate companies. While this will help to facilitate deals between the 2 it in no way shape or form guarantees anything for several reasons. FSW is aimed at a different audience, for example. So the programming they do carry is going to be different. It is a very pertinent topic, especially for those of us who get certain cable pacakges or cable in general just to get the FSW coverage.

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    What do you have against Allen "Sominex" Hopkins?

Oh wait, nevermind, I just answered my own question :D

23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Re: Fox Sports World

And lets not forget the cardinal rule for being an American soccer watching nerd.... all league rights are sold seperately country by country. Just cause a Fox company owns league rights somewhere, doesnt mean that another country's Fox owned network gets it for free.

24. davidfooty

davidfooty New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    I do believe they will need one more league to show on the weekends. In the past we have always had 3 euro leagues. It feels like big hole has opened in their "soccer season" schedule.

davidfooty

P.S. Picky up the EPL highlights show was a great move.

25. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    I had heard on World Soccer Weekly (the radio show. www.worldsoccerweekly.com) that Fox Sports World did drop the Eredivisie but that they would carry Serie A. Christian Miles was guest that day. He said that the Serie A was announced internally but not to the public. Check WSW's audio archive. I think it was like the second or third show.

I just wish my cable company would carry FSW full time. We only receive it from 11:00 AM eastern to 5:00 PM eastern Monday thru Friday. It shares space with Fox Sports Detroit and if the Red Wings, Tigers or Pistons have an afternoon match then we don't get FSW for the afternoon. I've talked to the cable company and they wanted to add it to their digital service which I have but Fox will only sell it to them if they put it on an analog channel. My cable company (which is owned by the local newspaper) is not adding any new analog channels.

I really liked the Eredivisie and the SPL but FSW didn't show those matches during the times mentioned above. All I got was the French League and Argentina/Brazil matches which I don't care for. At least the EPL replays were during the day.