Fox Sports World Report

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by NEKSoccer, Nov 18, 2002.

1. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    After watching several installments of the "Fox Sports World Report", I'd like to make a few comments about it.

(1) Their on-screen graphics are sometimes misspelled. This is a no-no for a professional TV product.

(2) Their announcers don't seem to know certain things about international sports. For instance, one of the announcers identified Vitesse Arnhem as a Belgian team when, of course, they are from Holland. Also, one announcer said that one of the FA Cup first round participants "picked up three valuable points by winning" when this is a knockout competition! Also, on yesterday's broadcast, one announcer pronounced West Bromwich "West Brom-witch" instead of "West Brom-itch".

(3) It seems that they run out of highlights too soon. They end up repeating what they showed in the first 15 minutes during the last 15 minutes! Can't they find something else to show like Mexican league highlights or something? For the future, they ought to consider Aussie Rules football, Japanese baseball and sumo, and also Gaelic games.

On the positive side, a North American highlights show like this is long overdue and I'm glad we have it. I really like the show. But it can stand some improvement.

Anyway, what do YOU think? Let me hear from ya!

2. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Max bugs me. I really wish he wouldn't try to be so English.

I still watch and slightly enjoy the show.

3. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    Is this on the Fox Sports Regional networks?

4. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think so.

Overall, it is not very good. I am glad that they have the highlights from a lot of the leagues, but that is about it.

5. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    I don't like the repeating thing either. They have Argentine Football, Brasilian Football to show highlights from and nothing. Also they could have shown some highlights of friendlies, or have a few more interviews to add time to what they are showing. Overall though, not a bad show. I guess I was just spoiled by Sky Sports News, they have like a million things going on at once, it's info overload.

6. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    please...fellas..

your right.. they dont know how to pronounce
    all the names correctly... they mistake some info
    ...but where... tell me where ... can you you see
    in north america a highlight reel of top class
    football every night...

unfortunately we only get the abrevieated sky
    sports version... so other highlights including the
    Champions League is nothing more than a plus..
    if anything.. the Bretos football moment is horrible
    .. the Scottish analyst is 10X better as a analyst
    than Bretos could ever hope to be...

This telecast is an honest broadcast... they arent
    trying to show you they know more football than
    anyone on the planet..they are just reporting it..
    they dont try to overpronounciate names in order
    to win over people who think .....ok ... he said
    rivaldo correctly.... he knows what he is talking
    about... that wins over the 18-25 crowd.. but not
    true football fans...

I was at a bar in Austin watching the Celtic v
    Blackburn game.... when Bretos and miles were
    announced as the commentary ... 15 beers hit the
    tv's..... later that night when FSW REport did
    the match highlights... even though though
    they didnt "pronounce" all the players correctly
    they didnt get in a fuss... it came down to they
    are not trying to fool anyone... Bretos and the
    FSW crew try their hardest to show they are the
    football experts of the world... because why? they
    over pronounciate the names.. they scream goal
    calls.... miles sounded like maculey caulkin
    pretending to be martin tyler...

give up...

FSW Report... class production...
    Sky Sports... Class production...

FSW commentators...
    the pretenders for the american teenage
    community...

Cantona----
    Eurosnob Extrodinaire

7. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    "Max bugs me. I really wish he wouldn't try to be so English."

<snip>

8. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Lets talk about pronunciation. I have listened to Max call dozens, maybe hundreds of games and I have never heard him "overpronounce" a name. The fact that he takes the time to learn to pronounce them CORRECTLY is a sign of professionalism. Now I don't want to discuss Max's quality of call-that's a whole different topic.

The original post was on the right track. These anchors are butchering names that should role off their tongues easily. I'm not talking about the names of obscure eastern euro players, but big stars and tourneys: Copa Suda-americana? Sevilia? If you can't say it in Spanish, say it in English:Seville!!

Now its has become clear from their interviews that they know a little about soccer, but when the show first started I thought that these guys were just out of work anchors reading telepromters.

This show would gain a lot of credibility if they got someone to go over names with them before each show-Hell, I could do it!!

9. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    This is way more common than you think. Part of my job is proofreading and you'd be surprised at the amount of typos in even the most illustrious sports and news show graphics.

I wouldn't be surprised if one reason for a lot of the other complaints, is simply a lack of budget.
    Sky Sports is okay (the presenters are often awful IMHO) because it has a decent budget and long history behind it.

I'm sure I heard that Max was at least part Australian, is this true? Might explain some of his more colourful affectations.

10. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I just want to give an update on this topic. It seems the last few weeks the anchors have been doing much better. I think it's obvious that someone has been working with them. There's still hope...

11. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Absolutely yes.

Get an MPEG2/DVB system. Point it to Telstar 5. Get EuroNews. It's like Europe's CNN Headline News. The news is 24 hour non-stop, recycled every half hour. As you can imagine, there is a sports segment.

Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I turn to EuroNews to get highlights of the Champions League and UEFA Cup. There are footage of games that no other North American station can show because those games are not even transmitted to the Americas for broadcast, not even on Sky Mexico or DirecTV Latin America, e.g. Basle vs Moscow Spartak and Lens vs Porto.

During the weekend, there are abundance of highlights, but I rarely watch them because there are games I don't want to be spoiled.

Better yet, EuroNews is available in many different languages, English, Spanish, German, French, etc.

If I have the chance to live on the east coast, I would really like to get EuroSports News, which is on an Atlantic satellite.

Notice, these programs don't need the big C-band dish. EuroNews can be had with a 30" dish, which is about 60% bigger than the DirecTV pizza dish.