Fox Sports World...Doing Well?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by cjschlos, Oct 9, 2002.

1. cjschlos

cjschlos Member

Jan 21, 1999
    New York
    Anybody else catch the commercial FSW is running saying thank you for making them one of the 10 fastest growing cable networks? It ran tonight during the Fox SportsWorld Report...I was shocked by this but maybe the network is really doing well. On a side note it was interesting to see the rugby people begging for people to take a survey to prove their viewers, I wonder if the network is thinking of adding more soccer?

2. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    It certainly seems that way. Fox Sports World Report, Campbell's soup commercials...at least they don't show ads for "The Underground Comedy Movie" with "supermodels in the john taking a beep. It's running on G4 (video game channel) as I type this.

3. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I remember a thread from a year ago that stated FSW was in the black then. Not by a ton, but a profit is a profit. Now who knows how reliable that was, but this seems to give it some credibility. It's not a network with a ton of overhead. They pay cheap prices for everything but the EPL and their commercial base has grown steadily. Toshiba beats that Christian Music CD anyday. It's too bad Oliver isn't here to rant about how nothing but Mexican football will ever sell in America:D.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Personally, I hope I never see that En-RX guy ever again. "Discussing a man's sexual..."

5. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    what was that rugby survey all about ? If their thinking of taking it off thats a big mistake. The ratings on it can't be THAT bad.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I should point out that, if given a choice between "no FSW" and "listening to people discussing man's sexual performance," I'll take the latter.

As to sportboy's question: interesting. I wondered about that too. Where I live, I know more people who watch rugby than soccer on FSW (i.e., the guys on my rugby team). Given how many adults play rugby in this country, I was hoping that maybe they were trying to see how well they were connecting to that community. Hopefully, they're doing a good job at it.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no recollection of what I did before I got FoxSportsWorld.

8. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, I went on their site and filled out that survey. Given that I practically "discovered" this sport from a TV viewing persective on FSW, it's probably helpful to let them know that people do watch their shows. My two cents: more UNION, less LEAGUE, please!

9. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    80% of the reason I switched from digital cable to Dish Network was to get FSW.

10. cjschlos

cjschlos Member

Jan 21, 1999
    New York
    The rugby survey is their try to grab sponsors for the rugby programming on FSW, the way the plea was worded it sounded like they are having trouble attracting sponsors and without new sponsors FSW was going to go elsewhere...now I have no inside info on this its just the way the plea for people to take the survey sounded....actually is sounded like what we usually post everytime someone is running a poll or a survey online somewhere.

11. GdP

GdP New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Salem, MA
    I would amend that by saying ALL UNION, NO LEAGUE . . . Rugby League sucks.

My wife hates me because FSW is now the de facto default channel in our house. Best channel on TV, baby . . .

12. Burks

Burks New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Austin, TX
    I would say with the addition of La Liga, they are doing quite well.

Defacto channel is right!

Not to be picky, but I wish they would do away with all Scottish Premier League games except Rangers versus Celtic.

13. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, does this mean that you watch, in addition to the replays/rebroadcasts, all those little filler shows ("Fooball Mundial", Sports Asia, etc.) Generally, during the week, they have reruns of the weekend's prior matches, and these I can only watch once. During the week, I've been watching mainly the news shows and ocassional shows like Football Mundial. I only watch actual matches if I can't see them on the weekends. They do have a couple of good new highlights shows related to Agrentina and the EPL.

14. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I just filled out the survey. There is one problem -- they need to have a "Never" option under frequency of watching Rugby.

Under comments, I put "Take Rubgy, Cricket, Aussie Football and other stuff off FSW and show more soccer."

Just my two cents worth, but I pretty much watch FSW as the default channel in my household too -- EXCEPT when there's Rugby, Aussie Football or Cricket being shown.

15. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Rugby I can handle. Aussie Rules Football is really not that interesting to me. But I absolutley, positivley HATE cricket. It takes up as much time as two quality EPL matches would fill. The only time I watch it, is when my buddies are over and we just crack up after a "play" where the announcer and the crowd get "excited" over a guy deflecting a ball off a paddle. How the hell do they keep score anyway? 150/23? What the hell is that? Rant.............over.

16. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    If they're going to show cricket at least show some recent games, the ones they've been showing are all about 10 years old.

...and how about some Japanese baseball, that might widen the viewership.

17. gpels

gpels New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Rhode Island
    I actually like the cricket they show, even though the matches are 10 years old. Besides, they only showed them during the summer, when there wasn't much soccer on anyway. I could do without the CFL games, though.

They do show some strange stuff sometimes. A Dominoes tournament? It followed an SPL game that I taped a few weeks ago. So bizarre I had to watch it - for 15 minutes.

18. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, NOOOOOOO.

You can see all the baseball you could possibly want to see on half a dozen other channels. Get the other channels to diversify to other regions.

It used to infuriate me when CNN-Si had their World Sport segment and what would they open up with -- NBA highlights that I had already seen 6 times on ESPN SportsCenter, espn2 NBA2Night, ESPNews and on CNN-SI's show that immediately preceeded World Sport.

Do you think that CNN-SI might still be in business if they would have done more alternate programming rather than trying to knock heads directly with ESPN?

19. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    So I guess you don't like the CFL they have on now?

More sports, less infomercials.

20. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    The old World Sport show on CNNSI wasn't very good but it was the only show I've seen that lived up to it's name, all the other sports news shows are either only US sports or everything but US sports.

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I have the same problem but with beer. =)

Seriously, I've noticed the commercials improving too. This may not be as much a sign of FSW doing well as some back office changes. For example, they may be doing more cross selling with the other Fox networks when selling their air time.

22. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, cricket, a sport first played on an organized level in 1693, must be terribly, terribly confusing to an American, who is used to his/her usual batch of "American" sports. See, here's the scoop on cricket: one side's at bat (the batting team), the ohter team's out in the field (the fielding team); the batting team attempts to score RUNS by hitting a small, hard, ball with a BAT; the fielding team attempts to prevent the batting team from scoring runs and by getting all the players on the batting team OUT. The teams that scores the most RUNS wins. A player can score runs by hitting the ball (without getting OUT, for example, by having a member of the fielding team catch the ball) and running to a specified area of the field (once again, without getting OUT) The passage of time is measured by a strange, un-American term called INNINGS.

So, let's examine the fundamental terminology of the game: BATTING, FIELDING, SCORING RUNS, GETTING OUTS, INNINGS.

Yes, no wonder you must totally despise this game--the terminolgy seems to be utterly foreign and unamerican!

23. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    No, CNNSI was just a news channel. That hardly knocked heads all the time with ESPN's programming. And I would be pissed to no end if FSW was just a soccer channel.

24. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i thought they showed german soccer games/highlights? i looked at the schedule for the week and it had nothing though.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's an International weekend. All the top leagues are taking the weekend off to let their best players pull international duty. Part of the qualifying process for the 2004 European Championship, the finals of which are in Portugal.

And by the way, people, FSW has shown baseball. Couple years back, they had the Caribbean World Series. Since I like sports, I watched a few games.