News: Fox retains UEFA CL and Europa rights through 17-18

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Dec 16, 2013.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...-18-season-121513?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:FOXSoccer

Highlights:

351 matches a year (146 Champions League, 205 Europa League)

Across all providers (FS1, FS2, FS+, Regional, and FS2GO)

FS1 to show two Europa League games from each round, FS2 to show FS1 repeats and two more games each round)

No word on price, (edit: although this site puts the rumored amount at $150 million) http://www.multichannel.com/content/fox-sports-nets-uefa-champions-europa-league-renewals/147227

2. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't like this news one bit Fox sucks at doing the UCL. omg I lost count how many times Fox will not put the big games on Fox sports 1. o an don't get me started about the pre game people.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's so not the issue that matters. Besides, the "big game" is mostly down to personal preference.

The problem is that 4 games are shown live while the other 4 are ignored until the next day (which is basically equivalent to not showing them at all). Sometimes these are really important games, like Marseille v Dortmund. There's no excuse at all for not showing every match in one form or the other, on some channel by prime-time in the East coast at the latest.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they keep the agreement with DirecTV to air the games on the overflow channels.

5. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    I know not everybody has DirecTV as their provider but the "other 4 matches" are all available live on DirecTV (and credit to them, not in any package but FREE for all customers). I understand your point that these matches don't make it on the Fox channels until the next day but like the EPL, its nice to have access to all matches live as a DTV subscriber. I'm actually happy Fox is retaining the rights as I believe in "continuity" even though I will completely agree on the pre-game talent and other shortcomings.

For the record, I have access to 7 of the 8 matches live because I chose NOT to subscribe to FSC+ (not worth the money in my personal opinion). Having said that, how wonderful would it be if Fox made FSC+ a part of the sports package (as I understand it IS on some providers). I would even accept a streaming service a la NBC in place of FSC+. But again, that's just me....

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

6. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also put all the games live on foxsoccer2go. (I realize that it costs $$$$.) Not quite clear on which games are available on "fox sports go" since my provider (DirecTV) is not a participating provider. Streaming is as important as TV for midweek games, since I'm at work during these matches.

7. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please get a new crew of in studio personalities for Champions League on fox

8. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Hopefully this helps get FS2 onto Comcast.

Doubt it.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They're already preparing for 2018. That's not going to happen.

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    yeah, I look on their forums and there seems to be some people clamoring for it...mostly autosports fans. I hope these people get through to Comcast!

11. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    At the very least stick it on the Sports Ent. Pack. I pay $8 a month for that, and part of that was to get FSC. I still get my money's worth I guess with the amount of NHL Net and MLB Net I watch depending on the season, plus Thursday Night Football, but it'd be nice to get a little of that value back.