Fox Announces WC Broadcast Schedule

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Joe Kurr, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Joe Kurr

Joe Kurr Member

Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    Mar 21, 2017
    #1 Joe Kurr, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Fox has officially announced its broadcast schedule for the World Cup (link below). I had always been afraid that the NFL and the College Football Big Ten 12 pm EST time slots for Saturday and Sunday were going to take precedent to the World Cup and my fears appear to have been justified. The main point of concern for me is that if the USA were to win the Group they'd play on Sunday, 12/4 and be sent to FS1. I understand the NFL is the biggest rating etc etc, but the World Cup happens once every four years.

The second point of concern is the World Cup Final on 12/18. The match starts at 10:00 AM EST. Typically a soccer match is set for a 2 hour broadcast. What happens if this match goes into extra time and penalty kicks? Does Fox switch it over to FS1 to make sure NFL games are still broadcast over the air?

Match Schedule PDF: https://mcusercontent.com/4ef9e4811...ee-ca85ba75b7e1/FIFA_World_Cup_Qatar_2022.pdf

2. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The football games start at 1pm EST. So if it goes to extra time and penalties the match should be over before three hours is out. Then you can send the post-game to FS1.

Chesco United, CyphaPSU and edcrocker repped this.
  3. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    In 2014 the rating for the World Cup final was higher than the average NFL game. Just looked it up our of curiosity.

superdave, jnielsen, Marko72 and 3 others repped this.
  4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Ian Darke will be joining Fox for the tournament

Beerking, jnielsen, Marko72 and 3 others repped this.
  5. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox just wants Ian to get some game time. Good for his development as a young lad.

superdave, zanderbz, TOAzer and 3 others repped this.
  6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be cool to see him get USA/England but since he seemed to make it a point to mention that Strong is leading things, I assume we'll get Strong/Holden for all USMNT games and The Final.

Happy anyway though, he's a great broadcaster.

7. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Looks like we went with the English wannabe kind of crew. No Latino presence in the broadcast. This is the time for representation if these companies are serious about diversity.

RalleeMonkey and jnielsen repped this.
  8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strong and Dellecamera are almost certainly going to be PBP guys, and last time they used Jorge Perez-Navarro and I wouldn't be surprised if they did so again

9. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The best play by play guys are in the Latino market in the US. The difference in quality between Cantor, etc, and Darke is dramatic.

RalleeMonkey and sidspaceman repped this.
  10. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I think Darke is among the best English-language commentators we’ve had in the US (at least with a major network). He lets the game breathe and tell its own story, adding bits and pieces to help build the drama. He doesn’t fill up empty space with a jumble of useless facts or telling us where the players went to college or what clubs they play for, which is always a problem with American commentators in other sports.

I generally find less is more with play by play commentators, so some of this is my personal preference.

dspence2311, chad, olephill2 and 5 others repped this.
  11. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I like Darke. I think he is the best out there. Would have loved to see Arlo White call some games but that probably won't happen.
    Dang! World Cup Live starts at 4 am Eastern. Guess I won't be getting much sleep during those 3 weeks.

12. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with you there. I think Darke and even Champion do a good job on that front.

I like John Strong but he tends to overtalk. Arlo White as well.

13. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Cantor is horrible, an imperious know-it-all who anticipates goals and decisions from the ref - he coaches.

Darke is awesome.

Strong is horrible, too, so I'll be going Spanish-language.

14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose if you're a Spanish Speaker, but I haven't really noticed any difference when networks like FOX and ESPN have tried moving some of their Spanish speaking announcers to English games

15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as I was about ready to write how disappointed I was to not see Andres Cordero get a chance with Fox, he had a great call (helped by a “magesterial” from Ray Hudson) on Inter Miami’s tying goal. I think he’s just a solid PBP guy on both Serie A and domestic matches.

16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Darke would be the play-by-play man for the US games instead of Strong, but that will not be the case. Strong is alright, but I am in agreement with papermache16 that he has a real tendency to overtalk.

17. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be good to have a Latino American on the broadcast, totally agree.

I personally enjoy Herc. He brings knowledge of the game and passion. He’s also not afraid to speak his mind, which I like and respect.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 papermache16, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/...st-team-including-darke-pairing-with-donovan/

Fox announcers for World Cup 2022
    Play-by-Play/Match Analyst
    John Strong and Stu Holden
    JP Dellacamera and Cobi Jones
    Derek Rae and Aly Wagner
    Ian Darke and Landon Donovan
    Jacqui Oatley and Warren Barton

Studio Analysts
    Alexi Lalas
    Carli Lloyd
    Chad Johnson
    Clint Dempsey
    Eniola Aluko
    Kelly Smith
    Maurice Edu

My opinion - I didn't care for Donovan when he did the games 5-6 years ago. Maybe he's gotten better, I dunno. But he's a sort of dry personality that doesn't really come off as personable on air.

I'm not the biggest fan of JP but he's put in the time so I'm glad he's doing matches. I like Derek Rae.

Chad Johnson is a big soccer fan so it's not a total stunt assignment, but it is funny to see him there. Reminds me of when Steve Nash was doing analysis for Turner when they covered soccer.

schrutebuck repped this.
  19. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Zero latino presence. Given that the mens game in the US is heavily influenced by latin cultures, this is pretty odd.

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #20 schrutebuck, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    The item that catches my eye with Fox here the studio analysts. ESPN would have this group loaded with ex-players or managers from major World Cup contenders. People like Ballack, Solari, Roberto Martinez, Klinsmann, and Van Nistelrooy.

But Fox isn't doing that approach, with a heavy emphasis instead on association with the US national team. Even the two non-Americans in the group both played for England. We'll see how this goes.

Was this what Fox did in 2018? I didn't watch much coverage that year, though I remember Fox making staff layoffs (including Donovan) before the World Cup when the team failed to qualify. IIRC, Fox also had most of its commentary teams based in Los Angeles.

21. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Bit of a miss… Personally, I really enjoy Herc. He brings a good balance of passion and player perspective.

22. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to recall a time when Derek Rae called a game in a recognizably human accent instead of the uncanny instrument he's working with now. Ah, memories!

23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Same. He likes to stir the pot and he has the insiders perspective as well as the US-Mex perspective. He’s deep in the know. Futbol Americas is highly entertaining.

I’d enjoy a show with Herc, Seb, Dempsey, Donovan, Lalas, and Mo Edu…that would be a fun one.

The Clientele repped this.
  24. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There would be so much entertaining story-telling with those hosts, it would be awesome. Some are not fond of Donovan’s on-camera persona. Personally, I think he’s fantastic. I appreciate his understated and non-bombastic approach.

Mo Edu is incredibly articulate and insightful too.

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wish FOX would simply provide a feed for each match with none of their, or anybody else's, commentators. For me anything beyond who is currently on the ball and, if there is time, who is defending. Everything else pretty much just detracts from the match. The typical match with US commentators is almost all detraction with very little of what is actually happening.

But FOX does not care about the quality of the broadcast they just care if they make money.

RalleeMonkey repped this.