Four Nations tournament from Wuhan [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Ludahai, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    In matches yesterday from flood threatened Wuhan:

Russia 1:0 Japan
    China 3:0 South Korea

China still has to play Russia. The winner will win the tournament.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Wish I could say I was surprised by the Russia-Japan result ... Japan just doesn't have the physicality to grind with teams like those yet.

Is the tournament still round robin?

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Are any WUSA'ers playing in this thing?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Sawa was more than likely playing for Japan.

I really can't say as to the Chinese contingent, though, and I don't know of any South Koreans or Russians in WUSA.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Slight correction - apparently Sun Wen was a no show for the China-Korea match.

Didn't need to be, though, as Korea's defenders did most of the scoring via OG.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Is there a Japan and China roster out there for this?

Oh...and any truth to the rumor that possibly the Chinese federation will hold back all their Chinese players from the next WUSA season so that they can prep for the 2003 WWC? This rumor has popped up in several of the forums recently.

7. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I don't know for sure. However, I have a couple of friends in China who MIGHT be in the know. Let me see if I can pump them for info.

8. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    This is correct. Sun Wen didn't play. She might be needed against the other Korea, but not South Korea.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  10. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Any idea of what the other results are? I've been looking all over the net with no luck...

11. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    The first round of matches:

China defeated Japan 4-0
    Russia defeated Korea but I don't know what the score was.

I think the third round of matches are today.

12. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    China defeated Russia 2-1 to go 3-0 in the tournament. I am really impressed by Russia's results in this tournament. They beat two good teams in South Korea and Japan and apparantly gave Asian Power China a tough match. I will try to get details later.

13. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Japan and Korea aren't all that good, I would expect Russia to beat them.

L - If you get all six results and dates, please let us know, I still haven't found this anywhere online. Thanks.

14. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I have posted all of the results I have found thus far. I will look further this evening. The only site I have seen scores on so far is the Chinese language cctv.com site from Mainland China.

15. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    Some match reports:

China 3 South Korea 0
    China 2 Russia 1

Full results:

August 27
    China 4 Japan 0
    Korea 3 Russia 2

August 29
    China 3 Korea 0
    Russian 1 Japan 0

August 31
    China 2 Russia 1
    Korea 0 Japan 0

16. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Thanks D. Are you sure about Korea beating Russia - L reported otherwise...

17. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Korea did in fact defeat Russia.

18. csatl

csatl New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Atlanta
    Some info about the Chinese team and the Wuhan tournament.

None of the current Chinese players in WUSA participated because coach wanted to evaluate the up and coming players in an international competition setting, and timing might be an issue since WUSA championship was so close to the tournament.

About the tournament, Japan didn’t come with their best players, the Japanese national team coach was in Canada for the U-19 Cup, 5 of the national team are from the U-19 team. And there is Sawa, Sun Wen said if Sawa were in Wuhan, China definitely could not beat Japan 4-0. During the tournament, the lack of speed of the Chinese defenders was apparent, there were many 1-on-1 scoring opportunities for other teams because other teams out ran the Chinese defenders. This is a serious problem since the North Korea team has good speed. Speaking of which, the N. Korea team just had a couple of friendly matches in Europe (Sweden/Denmark) to prepare for the Asia Olympics and won them all. Not sure what kind of quality those matches were. I am a bit surprised an isolated country like N. Korea sent the team to Europe, thinking the possibility of player defection every time the Cuban baseball team visits USA.

As for Fear9’s question if China would withhold its players from playing in WUSA next year, my feeling is that it would not be an outright ban. It would more like a cause in the contract that those players can return to China when near WWC if chosen by the Chinese national team. When Zhang from SD told the coach that SD wants her to sign next year’s contract up to the WWC, the coach said don’t sign yet. I guess this will be worked out between China and WUSA. Besides, not all the Chinese players in WUSA will be called by the national team. The initial list for the Asia Olympics includes WUSA players Sun, Bai, Pu and Zhao only (accidentally, all from play off teamsJ). Now at the camp in Beijing, all except Wang and Gao are there and the coach said everyone gets a chance getting into the final 18. Wang is probably going to retire and Gao has to fulfill some immigration obligation in Canada (I heard). So next year Atlanta Beat has two foreign spots to fill, the option is quite open for Tom Stone.

19. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    It should be mentioned Zhao is the captain for China too.

20. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    Don't underestimate the North Koreans. They won the Asian championship last December.

21. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: Some info about the Chinese team and the Wuhan tournament.

According to damfotboll.com, N Korea lost 4-0 to Denmark and 1-0 to Sweden. Do you have goalscorers?

22. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    The four Danish scorers were:
    Merete Pedersen
    Lene Jensen
    Cathrine Paaske Sørensen
    Lene Jensen

Hanna Ljungberg scored for Sweden