Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by da_cfo, Oct 13, 2003.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    What goes around comes around. Watch your a$s.

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Bartender, I'll have a nice, tall glass of YOU GOTTA BE *#*#*#*#ING KIDDING ME

A breath of fresh air is someone who does it with a hint of self-deprication, admitting that he was as big of a prick in his days on the field as the people he is criticizing.

His smugness shows a lack of self-acceptance that takes the air out of a lot of comments. I prefer honest commentators, not hypocritical ones. But I guess he's entertaining all the people as full of themselves as he is.

I don't mind Eric. I just wish he'd stop acting like he never did the things he's bitching at people for.

3. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If I ever rise to a position of prominence and start popping off with comments like,

"We don't wear cups, we win them."
    "We have the best players in the world, MLS doesn't."
    "We don't want MLS piggybacking on our attendances."

then yes, I will be on the lookout for the karmic backlash that Julie Foudy is reaping right now.

And no, I don't have notarized videotape of Foudy personally making each of these comments. But I don't think anyone would deny that her "leadership" inspired this kind of thinking at the WUSA.

More than anything else, Judy Foudy symbolizes utter and complete incompetence. After all, she presided over the systematic destruction of the one thing she loves most in the world, after her own ego of course.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If only she'd used all her power for good, instead of evil.

5. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

http://www.wearemichigan.com/reference/homophob.htm

Also (from another source):

"The article, (Adams, A.E., Wright, L.W., & Lohr, B.A. (1996), 'Is Homophobia Associated With Homosexual Arousal?' Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 3, 440-445) examines the relation between homophobia and homosexuality. The researchers found that homophobic men showed significantly more sexual arousal to erotic homosexual stimuli than did nonhomophobic men. They suggested this finding supported their psychoanalytical theoretical position that homophobia is linked to latent homosexual tendencies."

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

[​IMG]

7. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    "Judy?"

"Leave him alone he's on a roll."

8. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bartender, I'll have a nice, tall glass of YOU GOTTA BE *#*#*#*#ING KIDDING ME

Do you want him turn into Oprah and starting crying on the cameras to tell how he is sorry about all the people he hurt? Tell how much of a jerk he was and he wants forgiveness? Go on a repentance tour before he starts critically analyzing U.S. Soccer?

Has any sports commentator or analyst done this? No! Did he commit some crime like Marv Albert? It is not about them it is about the game that is going on in front of them. Eric's playing days are numbered and now he has become a soccer analyst. Let him make the transition. I know it might be tough to separate the player from the analyst but it will happen over time.

Eric has hit a real cord with a lot of MLS and US fans and it is great to hear.

9. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

I'm not sure how many people on this board would recognize a picture of Roy Cohn, much less know who he is. As a public service I offer this link.

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what we need here is some OLD TIME HOCKEY!!!!

Yeah, like Eddie Shore!!!!

[​IMG]

SHUT UP, I"M TRYING TO HEAR THE FUCKING SONG !!!

For whomever back there a couple of pointless pages ago, who wanted to drag Jan Stephenson into this for "bashing" Asians (and dear God could we come up with some English words that are a little more precise than "bashing"??) be advised that the vast majority of LPGA players and fans agree with her 100%.

They are a marginally unprofitable league that stays around due to some heavyweight sponsors who go in the hole on the deal and know it. (Sort of like another league we've been discussing)

The Asian players refuse to be interviewed, refuse to sign autographs, refuse to smile for the cameras, refuse to participate in pro-ams except (when required for tournament entry) to show up and play 18 without bothering to even speak to the sponsors who paid $1000 apiece for the privelege.

Now these are the things that you guys all laud the WUSA players for doing - really accepting responsibility for carrying the league PR on their shoulders. The Asian LPGA players show up, grab a check and hit the trail - the antithesis of the WUSA approach.

You see her point?

It ain't "bashing" - it's trying to save a league in trouble.

As for the WUSA itself, I've always said that pro leagues whose sales pitch consists of "It's the right thing to do" instead of "buy our great, great product" are simply kidding themselves about having a future.

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Absolutely.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Posting pictures of gay lawyers in the WUSA thread is not good PR. And Cohn was as queer as a three dollar bill.

13. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

I think that, and the fact that he was a rampant homophobe during the McCarthy hearings in particular, was the point. Self hatred frequently gets directed outward, at safer targets.

What I can't figure out is whether the appearance of Roy Cohn in a thread about WUSA is an example of what I love about BS or what I hate about it.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Astorian and others who had my back...thanks.

I guess now we can put that little tempest to rest, eh? Homophobes are latent.
    The only thing I would disagree with here is, it doesn't just apply to pro leagues. Environmental friendly products, Made-in-America campaigns, political candidates....

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Must...resist urge...to make...Flannigan reference...it's taking all my energy.

16. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. This has become nothing other than a bigsoccer pissing match to save fragile ego's...

let it go..

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That was me, only I didn't drag her in, Flannigan brought her in to testify on behalf of the offended. Here's Stephenson's quote from the article, followed by a response from the LPGA commisioner.

----------------------------
    "This is probably going to get me in trouble, but the Asians are killing our tour," she says in the November issue of Golf Magazine, which hits newsstands Tuesday. "Their lack of emotion, their refusal to speak English when they can speak English. They rarely speak."

Four of this week's top six in money are Asian.

"We have two-day pro-ams where people are paying a lot of money to play with us, and they (Asians) say hello and goodbye," she tells interviewer Peter Kessler. "Our tour is predominantly international, and the majority are Asian. They've taken it over."

Commissioner Ty Votaw disagrees, citing diversity as one of the LPGA's greatest strengths. The LPGA's credo: Anyone who can play great golf is welcome.

"Attendance, TV viewership, Web site traffic and purses are up," Votaw says. "That does not suggest a tour that is being damaged by any one group."
    -------------------------------

You're right that bashing is a rather vague term, but... well, she's singling out all asians for behavior ("their lack of emotion, their refusal to speak english"? Come on.) that I would be a caucasian or two has indulged in as well. Not to mention the yellow swarm imagery at the end, which I'm sure wouldn't bother her nearly so much if they weren't concentrated at the top of the leader board. And if the commisioner is right, Stephenson's over-reacting at least.

18. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Bingo, bung.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails&quot

huh huh. huh huh huh. he said "bung".

[/butthead voice]

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bartender, I'll have a nice, tall glass of YOU GOTTA BE *#*#*#*#ING KIDDING ME

Do you miss every point?

I don't expect him to apologize for anything. But be fricking honest. Make a joke out of it. We all know what a petulant, cherry-picking, me-first guy he was. So when he bitches at a guy for not playng defense, it might not sound so frigging hilarious if he dropped in a reference to his playing career.

You must not watch much sports. I hear self-deprication all the time amongst football commentators.

To be a good analyst, you need credibility. And you lose all credibility when you become hypocritical. All I ask for is a little honesty and a little less self-aggrandizement in his analysis.

By the way, it's chord, not cord. And he has hit it, but someone else will make him totally irrelevant if he doesn't get off the me-first schtick. Because Alexi will be in the booth soon.

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOD NOTE: Can we save the non-soccer psychoanalysis for another forum, please? Thanks

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To pick up on monster's point...one the most famous announcers of the last 20 years is baseball's Bob Uecker, whose whole shtick is how he used to suck.

23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    For the record, she did profusely apologize. I think her comments came across far more hateful than she intended. She probably wanted to make the point that Bill describes: Asian players just aren't used to the fan-friendly approach that the LPGA is trying to put in place. The headline came out: "Asians are ruining the tour."

Back to the WUSA -- I did hear April say that the league's hiatus might be a wake-up call to younger players. Not 100 percent sure what she meant by it.

But thinking about the effort that the older generation has put into promoting the game is one reason why I take no joy in seeing these women cry. And it's one more reason why I think the people who are so quick to pile on Foudy and company need to ask themselves some serious questions -- perhaps not about latency, but just plain common decency.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, unless she was misquoted, she did say "the Asians are killing the tour," so I can see why the headline came out that way. I'm glad she apologized, by the way. But this link was originally posted by someone trying to discredit women's sports by showing that an athlete who happened to be female agreed with him on certain issues. I just wanted to see if the poster-who-shall-remain-nameless (who is not Bill Archer) wanted to go to the wall for her on other opinions. It's not the best rhetorical technique, but since this isn't the Cicero forum on Bigorator.com, I'm not going to worry about that.

25. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    1-word

2-I don't get why everyone's getting so worked up about what a loudmouthed chick jock said or didn't say. If a loudmouthed guy jock says something stupid, we all reach for our next sip of coffee. For the love of God, does anyone remember Landon's creepy stomach cramps story?

2a-If the problem is that she dissed MLS, then the list of people that diss MLS and have more pull than Julie Foudy is a long one. Perhaps you should concentrate on them.

2b-I also don't get why anyone who criticizes Foudy is automatically labeled sexist. I don't care for her because she talks too much... often about nothing in particular. I feel the same way about Jim Rome. Does that mean I hate short all short people?

3- The irony of all us Ollie "lovers" adding post after post to what was essentially a troll for posts does not escape me.