Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by da_cfo, Oct 13, 2003.

1. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    OK Sachin, so you wanted proof that Foudy disparaged MLS in 2000?

You got it.

Where is my $25 reward?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/socce...,1101688,print.story?coll=ny-soccer-headlines

When Hendricks, the Discovery cable TV executive whom the players affectionately call "St. John" for his devotion to their cause, asked the MLS to devise a start-up business plan for a women's league - only to say no thanks - it wasn't forgotten by MLS. Neither was Foudy's comment that the women's players didn't want MLS "riding on our coattails."

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, since you're going to repeat yourself ad nauseum...

there's no proof: a writer who demonstrates in her first paragraphs that she surfs internet soccer chat-sites is very likely to have gotten that "information" from the same source.

But if it helps to have your martyrdom confirmed in print, have a great time with it.

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Wankler.

STFU.

seriously.

Your defending that trollop is about as annoying as the people trying to bash her.

Now give the guy his $25.

4. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    The same Newsday writer was the one who "outed" WUSA for turning down Oxygen Network in an April 2002 article.

She wrote that Oxygen Network went out of its way to try to land WUSA, by producing post-season exhibition game telecasts and offering free TV time (Sundays at 5-7pm ET) to WUSA for 2002.

The source who went to the writer expressing her frustration was no doubt Oxygen Sports Executive Producer Lydia Stephans.

WUSA's rejection of Oxygen was consistent with WUSA management believing that WUSA was "big" when WUSA was really a small business.

Oxygen, with only 30 million homes at the end of 2001, wasn't "big" enough to deliver the eyeballs to the sponsors, so one WUSA official told me via email.

So WUSA went to buy time with PAX (and lied about the direction of money flow by claiming that PAX paid a $1 million rights fee.) We all knew what happened with that roll of the dice by WUSA.

Bottom line: the writer was correct. Hendricks and the Women's Sports Foundation (particularly Donna DeVarona) were off base.

Corporate America didn't kill WUSA.

TV networks didn't kill WUSA.

WUSA management killed WUSA with countless self-inflicted wounds.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wankler's got a point.

Proof would at the very least have to contain some verifiable reference to the time and context in which that statement was putatively uttered by Foudy. Looking at Howard's article, that isn't there.

And Treetaliano talking about "people bashing her" as if this is some group that doesn't include him is, well, strange.

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    No dude...I bash the WUSA as a whole. I could give a rat's ass about Foudy and her cronies individually.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not defending her. I'm mocking the eunuchs who are so insecure they're threatened by her.

And as for proof? Just because it's in print doesn't mean it's proven. It's not like she does anything to confirm this statement here by quoting another source or anything. Besides, duh-CFO's cred takes another hit when he quotes, of all people NYR Metro, who's a resident pinhead on the Metro board.

8. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Good pick up da cfo

Good pick up da cfo. The article is a real eye-opener. If any sponsor thinking about sponsoring the WUSA2 read this article, they might think again.

Wow, I did not realize how incompetent the WUSA management really was. I guess they believed their own hype and that Title IX would somehow bail them out no matter what they did.

They blew a great opportunity to grow the league.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad we can't see MLS on ESPN2 anymore.

And I'm so bummed that Fox Sports World died so Fox NASCR could live.

And remember those rock-solid predictions on the WUSA foreign draft?

[​IMG]

That's a great article. Very good work. But there is still little sourcing, which leaves questions about uban legends such as this.

I don't doubt that there's a great possibility that Foudy said it. I'm just not ready to accept it as gospel until it's a little more clear.

The point still remains - why are people so scared of a loudmouth soccer player? They must have issues of their own, I guess.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, Ollie, but I think the jury would like to see something more contemporaneous.
    As I'm sure many of you know, there's a positive correlation between h@mophobia and latent h@mosexual urges. It's almost like being a virulent g@ybasher outs yourself.

I look at Foudy bashing like that. Men secure in their own manhood don't do it. Men who still break into cold sweats when remembering their doomed efforts to cover up "it" and its teeny tiny size in the locker room in 7th grade gym, do it.

tree, put away the ruler man.

11. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Glad da cfo found the quote.

I think you can imagine the outrage if a man had said this:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/champions/2003-10-09-stephenson-champions_x.htm

• "The women are not the best players — the men are. The women are not the best athletes — the men are. Whether we like it or not, we have to promote sex, because sex sells. I think you have to shock."

• "I used to get teased by the girls that I didn't need a woman problem because I always had a man problem. They never really bothered me, because they knew I was straight. Society is more open now about gay relationships, but it does hurt the tour. It hurts with sponsors. But if you had two gorgeous girls who were gay, I don't think that would hurt."

Actually, one thing I like about women's soccer is their uniforms are sports uniforms, not some sort of spandex creation like many female track and field athletes wear. But is is a quandary. Almost all the hard core sports fans are men, and if you don't market to them in some way you are missing a big audience. WUSA did everything it could to antagonize males. And it worked.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He did no such thing. Did you look at the date of the article?

As to the Jan Stephenson article... well, she also bashes Asians. Doubt if you or anyone else want to stake much credibility on her take on gender issues.

Anyway, Thomas: read what you post and what you comment on.

13. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    LOL! Please show me your studies or is this more leftist lies you are spouting.

I think the Foudy bashers out there just like to see justice served. She said we don't need the MLS because we are women and we are independent! (GAG)

Look where her attitude got her. A 3 year old league that spent $100 million with nothing to show for it. The WWC that might be the last ( No more WWC??!!!??? https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76348 )

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dude, you're killing me. You're even funnier than Flannigan.

Justice served? That's friggin' hilarious.

And this is friggin hysterical.

In the 19th century clinical definition of that word.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How about this article from 2001, dug up by defensewins:

http://www.thesunlink.com/sports/2001/april/0411101589.html

See, this carries a bit more credibility, because it's actually close to the date when Foudy is allegedly castrated... I mean, castigated MLS and men's soccer.

16. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Ummm, it's not in there. All Foudy says in that one is that they want to "make it on their own," more of a dig at the WNBA than anything else.

17. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    Re: Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Yeah, it's a dig at the WNBA. But, I think it's clear that this is the quote that got all misconstrued as "we don't want MLS on our coattails."

As the good Doctor called it, this is "the missing link."

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's ridiculous. The coattails quote, as I recall, was an unattributed quote to someone on the WNT. Somone said it. It's just a matter of who. And, again, if I recall correctly, little if anything about the quote was misconstrued. It used the language of coattails etc.

19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Foudy 2000: don't want MLS "riding on (WUSA/USWNT's) coattails"

Uhhh not good enough. First you have to come up with an affidavit from Julie Foudy that says, "Yes, I really said that stupid thing." Of course, then you have to come up with a questioned documents expert because the Julie crowd won't beleive the signature is real. Of course, then you will have to come up with a panel of three rabbi who will testify to the good moral character of the questioned documents expert, and then .... and then .... and then .....

And then you still won't get your $25 bucks because facts that don't fit a political ideology cannot be admitted to exist.

20. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fine. Show me the article with the quote being unattributed. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the author of said article wrote it down incorrectly. It would be very strange indeed for someone to use the same terminology in two very different ways.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Actually I was wrong ... the language was piggyback, not coattails.
    Here's the link: http://www.espn.go.com/soccer/s/2000/0218/365926.html

That, my friends, is how this all started. Want the truth about who said that then ask Jeff Bradley

22. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was foudy and i laughed when WUSA died and when i saw her crying...

no, not because i'm insecure with myself, but because like everyone else who wants to see her fail, because she took a shot at MLS...

people who keep defending Foudy, or those idiots who say something like oh these guys have something wrong with them cuz their obsessed with foudy blah blah blah...makes me laugh, almost as hard as i was laughing when WUSA died, died I say, died...now if only the WWC would DIE!!! DIE!!! DIE!!!

so maybe one more time i can see Foudy CRY!!! CRY!!! CRY!!!

23. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who cares either way, people?

If she said it (or any other woman player), then I think she is paying for it now, because she has no job, no league, and no World Cup.

If she did not, she still has no job, no league, and no World Cup.

It's been proven that MLS can last and WUSA cannot. If you are so small minded to care if Foudy said it, take solace in that.

24. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    WWC dying?

Well it might not be too far behind:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76348&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

25. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

:p