Former MLS foreigners playing overseas

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Hugh DeMann, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Hugh DeMann

Hugh DeMann New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Tonight I was watching EPL highlights and saw Shaun Bartlett score two goals (and get a red card). I remember him playing for the Rapids and Metrostars.
    I hear a lot about Americans playing abroad, but how many other non-American former MLSers are playing in foreign leagues, and how are they doing?
    If Bartlett (who was only average in MLS) can make it in the EPL, what does that say about the caliber of MLS vs EPL?

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    It doesnt say anything about MLS vs EPL since Bartlett hasnt scored crap for a long ass time. He also in a medium sized club.

3. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know where Musa Shannon (Liberia) is? He bolted for Europe after having a good scoring season a few years ago (1999, I think).

4. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I read that Wolde Harris and Brian Dunseth were stars in the Norweigan league.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I know a lot of Latino American guys have left MLS and gone back to Latin America and played, some doing pretty well.

As for ex-foreign MLS players in Europe, Stern John and Jason Bent come to mind. Both are in England having various degrees of success. Same with Onandi Lowe, though that crack arrest might limit how success is defined in his case.

6. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Holy crap! I had NO IDEA Shaun Bartlett was in EPL. Who is he with? Because that's where I need to go to try out!

I'm not going to make any rash comparisons of EPL and MLS, because EPL is certainly better. But if Shaun Bartlett is even cracking a starting eleven in EPL, mid-level team or not, then it has to be said MLS is in excellent shape considering its age.

7. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlton

8. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Junior Agogo already has 10 goals for Bristol Rovers (League Two).

Mark Williams has played 10 games (9 starts) for Milton Keynes (League One).

As Sandon says, you can track a lot of players in Latin America. William Sunsing recently returned to Costa Rica's national team and scored a game-winning goal in a qualifier. Mauricio Wright had quit the national team while Steve Sampson was in charge; now he's hurt, iirc.

9. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Not really. Brian Dunseth has been doing pretty well for a semi-pro second-division club in Sweden that was almost relegated. Although it looks like Wolde scored the goal that kept the team from being relegated, I just counted 4 goals and an assist for him on the season (although he joined late). Here's their website:

http://www.bodensbk.bd.se/fotboll/default.asp