former crew coach Tom Fitzgerald dies

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fanaddict, Dec 5, 2004.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May he rest in peace.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    He was a good coach. He turned the Crew around in 1996 after their dismal start with Timo Liekoski. For the next couple of years they challenged DC United for the top seed in the East.

4. moorland

moorland Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Wow.

Rest in peace.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be missed.

6. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    I live in Tampa. Born and raised here.

I knew Tom since about 1978. He owned a soccer shop in the old Tampa Bay Center. I would go there and buy my soccer stuff when I was a kid.

Over the years, I got to know Tom, and saw him often when he coach the University of Tampa, and would see him time to time.

What always struck me about him was how he treated me. He always acted as though I was someone important. He treated me as a friend. In truth, he was the important person. I feel as though I have lost a friend.

He was nothing but class! A tremendous human being. His death is such an great loss. Everyone in Tampa knew of Tom, and it has been widely covered here. His loss is not only a loss here in Tampa, but in Columbus and Los Angeles as well. He will be missed by so many people. My neighbor plays for him at the Univesity of Tampa, and I have been told that his death is being taken quite hard by that community of students.

When the accident happen, Tom was able to call his wife. It was after he was transported to the hospital that he lost consciousness.

Saturday was a sad day for soccer.

My prayers go to both him and his family!